Warhammer 40k fans, Space Marine now has a release date and other new info

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
looks fun as shit to me.

that multiplayer looks like it could get me addicted...

Last edited:

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
I do wonder, however, if Relic is getting Bungie'd in that every day in their existence is a warhammer centric purgatory where original IPs will forever be suffocated beaten down and forgotten from here on out.

WHERE IS MY HOMEWORLD 3?! COH 2? Something entirely different?

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
I thought this looked like a fun stupid game that looked ridiculous and since it wasn't trying to be to much it would end up being more fun than it should be. Then I learned it had 16 player versus multiplayer. Now I think it will be a really fund and really stupid game. Seriously it's gonna be overt the top ridiculous and I doubt there will be anything close to resembling balance but because it's space marines it'll still be fun.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
The first Top Comment on that Combat System video on YouTube video pretty much describes the entire experience; playing this game gives you instant beard growth.

styrafoam

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2002
That's Warhammer 40k, and that comes from Starship Troopers (1959), so no new ideas there either.

Yeah, nobody is saying that 40k owns power armor, they are talking about blizzard directly lifting a lot of unit designs and artistic themes.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
The game looks amazing, it'll all boil down to the control system.

It looked a little gamepaddy to me.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
The game looks amazing, it'll all boil down to the control system.

It looked a little gamepaddy to me.

i imagine it will be like gears of war on crack. i played GoW fine with KBM, but this might necessitate a pad. luckily i have one :)

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
i imagine it will be like gears of war on crack. i played GoW fine with KBM, but this might necessitate a pad. luckily i have one :)

Yeah I've got an xbox one but apart from racing games I really can't get on with them.

I'll get the game anyway but I don't have high hopes for that aspect.

RayCathode

Oct 10, 2001
Demo for PC on August 23rd.

http://www.spacemarine.com/blog-post/warhammer-40000-space-marine-demo-incoming

Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine Demo is headed to PC, Xbox 360 & PS3! The demo is planned to launch simultaneously for the Xbox 360 and Windows PC on August 23rd and then on PS3 on August 24th!

Players who have pre-ordered the digital PC version of Space Marine through Steam will receive an exclusive early access period starting on the 18th of August, running through the weekend. Steam will also be running a Warhammer 40,000 bundle sale at a very special rate during the same period.

kamikazekyle

Feb 23, 2007
I think I'll have to wait for the demo on this one, desipte being a huge 40k and Relic fan. It looks very Gears of War-ish, and GoW was kinda boring and tedious for me (just my personal opinion). Kinda odd since I'd play Dynasty Warriors till my fingers bled. Course, I am kinda burnt on space marines after finishing several omnibuses recently and Dawn of War 2 so that might have something to do with it.

Anywho, still keeping an eye on it.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Demo for PC on August 23rd.

http://www.spacemarine.com/blog-post/warhammer-40000-space-marine-demo-incoming

Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine Demo is headed to PC, Xbox 360 & PS3! The demo is planned to launch simultaneously for the Xbox 360 and Windows PC on August 23rd and then on PS3 on August 24th!

Players who have pre-ordered the digital PC version of Space Marine through Steam will receive an exclusive early access period starting on the 18th of August, running through the weekend. Steam will also be running a Warhammer 40,000 bundle sale at a very special rate during the same period.

demo = yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss!

i'm sure it'll turn into an instant buy for me, but it's great to have a demo come out.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
I think I'll have to wait for the demo on this one, desipte being a huge 40k and Relic fan. It looks very Gears of War-ish, and GoW was kinda boring and tedious for me (just my personal opinion). Kinda odd since I'd play Dynasty Warriors till my fingers bled. Course, I am kinda burnt on space marines after finishing several omnibuses recently and Dawn of War 2 so that might have something to do with it.

Anywho, still keeping an eye on it.

I'm confused, how does this look like Gears of War? You don't take cover with 308028343 chest high walls scattered throughout the entire level. In Space Marine you charge into the middle of mob. The only thing that looks similar is GoW ripped off the art style of the SM's with having large characters and a little bitches version of a chainsword :)

kamikazekyle

Feb 23, 2007
I'm confused, how does this look like Gears of War? You don't take cover with 308028343 chest high walls scattered throughout the entire level. In Space Marine you charge into the middle of mob. The only thing that looks similar is GoW ripped off the art style of the SM's with having large characters and a little bitches version of a chainsword :)

I had written up a longer reply saying it felt like "Gears of War with a 40k skin, no cover, and a few gimmicks tossed in for HP regen/bullettime" but removed it in my post rewrite. I dunno. Perhaps a "GoW but with melee?" Maybe "Dynasty Warriors meets GoW but without character building?" Bah. I'm not really articulating this well :p It just subjectively "feels" like GoW to me whereas objectively I know there are differentiating factors. More emphasis on melee combat, for example. Consequently, GoW, when I played it, made me feel like someone just flipped a few skins and storyline so it wouldn't violate 40k copyright. But, again, that was just the overall feel of it; nothing objective.

I'm only able to really watch the youtube videos, so I'm thinking that's not really doing it justice. From just watching those, it seems boring, cliched, and rather uninteresting. And as I mentioned, it could be I'm burnt out on space marines in the 40k universe so the prospect of playing yet another space marine-centric game is unappealing. But, trying to judge the feel of a game from a youtube video can be difficult, so that's why I'm glad they're releasing a demo. There have been plenty of games in the past that I've not really liked until I actually played them.

I also find it odd that I could play a Dynasty Warriors game till I keeled over from starvation, yet those games are just as button-mashy as Space Marine seems to be. Granted, in DW games you usualy had the item and stat grind to pull away from the "this is the 10,000 identical enemy I killed today" factor. In Space Marine, that stat/item building seems to be replaced by a full storyline. Basically, I'm worried that in Space Marine the story won't be enough to string me along after I see the same execution move performed for the umpteenth time like the stat grinding in DW did. I know, I know, sounds very WTF-ish coming from someone who would grind in Dynasty Warriors :p

I kinda wish they'd make another 40k FPS (or even third person action/shooter) focusing on larger squad and army combat, preferably as something other than a space marine. Kinda like Fire Warrior, just not as...sucky...and with more emphasis on the battle front as a whole. I'd find a game where you were constantly juggling the frontline with entire armies a bit more appealing. Maybe toss in some selective side missions where your select few squad members can try to hamper the enemy's army(ies), or defend against said small strikes that the enemy is trying. Toss in a persistent multiplayer battlefront where players actions can affect a global battle and supply lines (sorta like the original Heavy Gear) and there ya go. *shrug* Random tangent. Sorry about that.

Enh. Not trying to judge the game or anything since I haven't played it, and I like to actually play some part of the game before I say I like it or not. I'll just play the demo when it comes out :) Even if it's not my thing, I hope it does well so Relic can keep the 40k franchise going.

prism

Oct 23, 2004
To me, it looks like the only thing it has in common with Gears is the fact that it's an over-the-shoulder shooter. However, this game has some sweet-looking melee action; plus, you don't hafta hide behind things like a girlbaby.

kamikazekyle

Feb 23, 2007
To me, it looks like the only thing it has in common with Gears is the fact that it's an over-the-shoulder shooter. However, this game has some sweet-looking melee action; plus, you don't hafta hide behind things like a girlbaby.

Heh, true, true. Like I mentioned, it's obvious -- from an objective standpoint -- that it's different. Hell, most TPSes share a similar format as such. It's just that the subjective "vibe" that's making a connection to GOW in my head, even though it certainly is different.

So I figure my view is just skewed artificially, and I'll just play the demo when it comes out and go from there.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
I had written up a longer reply saying it felt like "Gears of War with a 40k skin, no cover, and a few gimmicks tossed in for HP regen/bullettime" but removed it in my post rewrite. I dunno. Perhaps a "GoW but with melee?" Maybe "Dynasty Warriors meets GoW but without character building?" Bah. I'm not really articulating this well :p It just subjectively "feels" like GoW to me whereas objectively I know there are differentiating factors. More emphasis on melee combat, for example. Consequently, GoW, when I played it, made me feel like someone just flipped a few skins and storyline so it wouldn't violate 40k copyright. But, again, that was just the overall feel of it; nothing objective.

I'm only able to really watch the youtube videos, so I'm thinking that's not really doing it justice. From just watching those, it seems boring, cliched, and rather uninteresting. And as I mentioned, it could be I'm burnt out on space marines in the 40k universe so the prospect of playing yet another space marine-centric game is unappealing. But, trying to judge the feel of a game from a youtube video can be difficult, so that's why I'm glad they're releasing a demo. There have been plenty of games in the past that I've not really liked until I actually played them.

I also find it odd that I could play a Dynasty Warriors game till I keeled over from starvation, yet those games are just as button-mashy as Space Marine seems to be. Granted, in DW games you usualy had the item and stat grind to pull away from the "this is the 10,000 identical enemy I killed today" factor. In Space Marine, that stat/item building seems to be replaced by a full storyline. Basically, I'm worried that in Space Marine the story won't be enough to string me along after I see the same execution move performed for the umpteenth time like the stat grinding in DW did. I know, I know, sounds very WTF-ish coming from someone who would grind in Dynasty Warriors :p

I kinda wish they'd make another 40k FPS (or even third person action/shooter) focusing on larger squad and army combat, preferably as something other than a space marine. Kinda like Fire Warrior, just not as...sucky...and with more emphasis on the battle front as a whole. I'd find a game where you were constantly juggling the frontline with entire armies a bit more appealing. Maybe toss in some selective side missions where your select few squad members can try to hamper the enemy's army(ies), or defend against said small strikes that the enemy is trying. Toss in a persistent multiplayer battlefront where players actions can affect a global battle and supply lines (sorta like the original Heavy Gear) and there ya go. *shrug* Random tangent. Sorry about that.

Enh. Not trying to judge the game or anything since I haven't played it, and I like to actually play some part of the game before I say I like it or not. I'll just play the demo when it comes out :) Even if it's not my thing, I hope it does well so Relic can keep the 40k franchise going.

Fair enough. I know how it is to get a feeling from something and not being able to describe it to another so I'll leave it at that and say I understand without actually understanding (if that makes sense? lol).

I'm looking forward to how you switch between melee and range with their system they made for it, watching the dev interviews and such I get the feeling Relic feels they have a real winner on their hands and can't wait to get it into gamers hands. I am pretty pumped for the game, I love me some space marines.