Warhammer 40k fans, Space Marine now has a release date and other new info

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
http://www.shacknews.com/article/68570/warhammer-40000-space-marine-collectors

Release date is September 6th.
Will have a collector edition $80 PC ($100 consoles) and includes a replica of a purity seal, artbook, soundtrack, foil cards, and fancy box. Can only be ordered from THQ's site.

Preorder bonus vary from each retailer (Steam is giving you bonus armor of the Blood Ravens and a copy of Darksiders and 10% off)

New video talking about and showing off the combat system, holy bloodly captain.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vskKGCpSb0&feature=player_embedded

Last edited:

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Big 40k fan. Not really interested.

Make it like Star Wars Republic Commando, but harder and longer, and I'd be on this.

Mr. Pedantic

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2010
I'm interested. Mindless violence is good from time to time and from the trailer, this seems to deliver.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
I love the Warhammer 40K universe and games, so far, but I'm getting sick of Space Marines being portrayed as the "main guys" of that universe. Give me a 40K game where the "main guys" are the Dark Eldar (if done properly it'd be rated an Adult-Only game though) or even the Imperial Guard, heck why not the Sisters of Battle while we're at it, anything, but those darn Space Marines are getting on my nerves.

Alright, alright, I admit, I'm biased, I never really liked Space Marines anyway, when I played the table-top 40K a few years ago I used to either play as the Craftworld Eldar (see my avatar, that's an Eldar Farseer for those not familiar with the 40K universe), the Imperial Guards or the Fell Powers (Chaos). The only thing related to the Space Marines I actually really liked was the campaign in the original Dawn of War with Gabriel Angelos and Isador (the Librarian).

I enjoyed the campaign in both Dawn of War 2 and Chaos Rising, it was good, but my attention during missions when the Eldar appeared increased by tenfold, otherwise it was just generic "for the Emperor!" material. Give me "for the Craftworld!" instead in a full fledged campaign-based single-player 40K game and I'll be all over it, even as a third-person action type of game, doesn't have to be RTS. But since I'm just a fan of the universe I might end up buying it anyway (and I might complain anyway for it being about Space Marines).

Last edited:

DucatiMonster696

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2009
I love the Warhammer 40K universe and games, so far, but I'm getting sick of Space Marines being portrayed as the "main guys" of that universe. Give me a 40K game where the "main guys" are the Dark Eldar (if done properly it'd be rated an Adult-Only game though) or even the Imperial Guard, heck why not the Sisters of Battle while we're at it, anything, but those darn Space Marines are getting on my nerves.

Alright, alright, I admit, I'm biased, I never really liked Space Marines anyway, when I played the table-top 40K a few years ago I used to either play as the Craftworld Eldar (see my avatar, that's an Eldar Farseer for those not familiar with the 40K universe), the Imperial Guards or the Fell Powers (Chaos). The only thing related to the Space Marines I actually really liked was the campaign in the original Dawn of War with Gabriel Angelos and Isador (the Librarian).

I enjoyed the campaign in both Dawn of War 2 and Chaos Rising, it was good, but my attention during missions when the Eldar appeared increased by tenfold, otherwise it was just generic "for the Emperor!" material. Give me "for the Craftworld!" instead in a full fledged campaign-based single-player 40K game and I'll be all over it, even as a third-person action type of game, doesn't have to be RTS. But since I'm just a fan of the universe I might end up buying it anyway (and I might complain anyway for it being about Space Marines).

I agree. Blue smurfs are kind of boring once you really get into 40k.

I want a Eisenhorn/Raveneor-esque version of Mass Effect 2 except with a larger story line, more places to visit, more side quest to complete and plenty of characters to meet, greet, and kill and 40k atmosphere up the waaazooo! :p

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
The problem is, the face of WH40K is Space Marines. They are the most popular and liked overall. In this game at least the Imperial Guard are suppose to be supporting your squad so you'll get to see them some. Dark Eldar are probably one of the least popular, though with their new codex maybe they will raise up popularity some.

I love space marines personally, but I do wish they use another legion besides the Ultramarines. I'd really like to see the Grey Knights or Space Wolfs myself. The Inquisition is my personal fav part WH40K. As Ducati above said, the ME style game would be great with them.

There are few good WH40K games, so when one comes along that will probably be good (when has Relic made a bad game?) it is hard not to look forward to it.

It should be interesting to see how WH40K Dark Millennium MMO turns out (hopefully should get a good amount of info at E3).

Dec 28, 2001
I want to say where's a game starring the Tau? Only I know the inevitable response.

Going off-topic here for a bit, but how come no one's tried a multiplayer WH40K FPS using the different races? It's violent, visceral, and has a bevy of exotic characters, vehicles and guns to mess around with; sounds like a no-brainer to me.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
I want to say where's a game starring the Tau? Only I know the inevitable response.

Going off-topic here for a bit, but how come no one's tried a multiplayer WH40K FPS using the different races? It's violent, visceral, and has a bevy of exotic characters, vehicles and guns to mess around with; sounds like a no-brainer to me.

/waves hand
There is no game with the Tau

Who knows why, a Quake Wars type game would work well. This IP has such immense potential for games and such. At least THQ is starting to try some other things instead of sticking with just DoW.

Mr. Pedantic

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2010

Imperial Guard and arguably Dark Eldar don't really work so well as FPS protagonists. Space Marines have the advantage of being individually superior to individuals of most other races in the W40k universe in terms of combat.

Qbah

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2005
I am SOOOO looking forward to this!! I think the last time I was so excited for a game was ME2 :D Hell, even ME3 doesn't excite me as much as Space Marine! :D

And Eldar as main characters? Every space marine unit encountered would be a boss-type enemy then :hmm: I don't even want to think about a lone IG meeting anyone on the battlefield...

And it's coming out for the PC! Best news ever! :D

Last edited:

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
And it's coming out for the PC! Best news ever! :D

PC is lead platform for it as well. I know we heard that with other games, but I believe it cause it is Relic who only has done PC games and doesn't know how to make a bad game.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
PC is lead platform for it as well. I know we heard that with other games, but I believe it cause it is Relic who only has done PC games and doesn't know how to make a bad game.

Guess you didn't play Retribution.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Don't know what you have against Retribution. I haven't finished it yet, but enjoyed it thus far. Overall player response has been very positive too.

If the Dawn of War 2 Forum is indicative of the player response then the response was bad.

I'll let you see for yourself and won't put any dampers on your situation... but until I had finished my first playthrough, I felt the same way as you did.

DeathReborn

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2005
Don't know what you have against Retribution. I haven't finished it yet, but enjoyed it thus far. Overall player response has been very positive too.

I got about 2 missions in and turned it off, I forgot about DoW2 not being as good as DoW1 and bought retribution.

RTS is nearly dead as a genre.

Pr0d1gy

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2005
If the gameplay in this is anything close to the quality of gameplay War for Cybertron had this could be an amazing game. I am really looking forward to it but it will probably fail just like War for Cybertron because the entire gaming community is a bunch of sheep that wouldn't know a good game if it slapped them in the face.

As for the Space Marine issue, they have been the poster boy for this franchise for almost 30 years now. That won't change just because you got bored with them playing tabletop or RTS. I would point out to you guys that not all Marines are boring vanilla marines. My personal favorite is the Legion of the Damned, and has been since the 80's.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
Alpha Legion is the coolest but but damn it we know hardly anything about them and their sneaky ways!

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
i had no idea this was so close to coming out. looks pretty badass, if not maybe a bit simple but i suspect it is what it is and they'll probably successfully achieve what was intended. seems appropriate for 40k.

makken

Golden Member
Aug 28, 2004
the youtube comments are pretty amusing:

Does being part of the dev team require having a beard?
Space Marine, created by Bearded Men Studios.
FOR THE BEARD!

Wear full metal armor.

Disregard helmet.

Well this is going to get banned in Australia

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
after watching that video, all i gotta say is:

fuck yeah. (wish i had the pic to go with it)