warhammer 40k fan film - Astartes

Skel

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
These videos are everything right about why the internet exists.

Feb 4, 2009
I’ll admit I watched at least 30 minutes of that dudes play by play coverage.
Weird but interesting

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
These videos are everything right about why the internet exists.

I love in part 1 where you see those tiny humans sliding by the space marines in the hall. Its like fuck yes. And then the blessing of the bolter.

Feb 4, 2009
I love in part 1 where you see those tiny humans sliding by the space marines in the hall. Its like fuck yes. And then the blessing of the bolter.

I agree, even the aloof nature of the marines, they just walk along and give zero f’s about anyone else.

I imagined psychers being smaller not space marine height.

Last edited:

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
I agree, even the aloof nature of the marines, they just walk along and give zero f’s about anyone else.

I imagined psychers being smaller not space marine height.

Yeah. Im gonna watch those break downs when I get time. In the first one you see a inquisitor walking by in the hall so there are a bunch of little things.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
i actually reached out to the guy who makes those and im gonna feed him sound effects on request. He doesnt need editorial help as his intuition is strong but I've got the best sounds on the planet at my finger tips so ill give him whatever he needs.

Reactions: Skel

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Needs more Horus Heresy. The intro videos to the Dawn of War series better capture the gothic aesthetic of the 40K universe. These videos are too clean and generic sci-fi, not the legendary insanity of some of John Blanche’s work. Looks like Mk. 7 armor, but I didn’t see any chapter markings? The fun of the Astartes are the color schemes and unique aesthetic of the different chapters. This video was like watching someone field an army of unpainted minis.

Having said that, I’m surprised Hollywood has yet to tap into 40k for a movie. Would love to see an HBO or Netflix Horus Heresy series.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
i liked the realistic art style. We havent seen something like this before and its refreshing.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
i liked the realistic art style. We havent seen something like this before and its refreshing.
I think the realism makes it look more like any other science fiction property. In a universe where giant demons emerge from the Warp through corrupted telepaths, mutated soldiers have open wounds with puss covered creatures chewing on their organs and you have flamethrower wielding dominatrix nuns, realism kinda kills what makes 40k so unique.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
yeah i disagree. Seeing to scale space marines stomping by regular humans really gets into the seed and gene stuff that rarely gets talked about.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
yeah i disagree. Seeing to scale space marines stomping by regular humans really gets into the seed and gene stuff that rarely gets talked about.
Yeah but Astartes scale depictions usually get dangerously close to Rob Liefeld Captain America bad, and how can they depict gene stuff without showing the chapter and hence Primarch origin of the seed.

Feb 4, 2009
@JSt0rm you sort of work in the industry. How does stuff like this get made? Not the technical aspect but does the dude just work on it and hope he doesn’t get a take down notice for copyright infringement from Games Workshop?

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
@JSt0rm you sort of work in the industry. How does stuff like this get made? Not the technical aspect but does the dude just work on it and hope he doesn’t get a take down notice for copyright infringement from Games Workshop?

if you dont make money on the project i.e. give it away for free then you can do whatever you want.

Yeah but Astartes scale depictions usually get dangerously close to Rob Liefeld Captain America bad, and how can they depict gene stuff without showing the chapter and hence Primarch origin of the seed.

Space marines go through a process and they really are that big in the fiction.

Feb 4, 2009
if you dont make money on the project i.e. give it away for free then you can do whatever you want.

Yeah I’ve heard 7’ minimum height to 10’ for marines (3 meters) varies a little per chapter (I think)

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005

I know the superhuman size is part of the canon, even more so now with the Primaris marines. What I meant is that as artistically depicted, some renderings are anatomically impossible. (little heads, giant feet)

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
I know the superhuman size is part of the canon, even more so now with the Primaris marines. What I meant is that as artistically depicted, some renderings are anatomically impossible. (little heads, giant feet)

I think you are being a little nit picky for a guy who is doing this in his spare time alone. I think what has been done here is an impressive feat.

Feb 4, 2009

I get it but come on it’s Warhammer, it’s not supposed to make sense it only needs to be cool.
For example best defense against space marines is just have normal sized hallways & door. Why bother placing artillery at the end of an enormous hallway. Just make the hall have a 76 inch total height

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
if he doesnt like the scale of regular marines hope he never thinks about how they get into terminator armor.

Feb 4, 2009
if he doesnt like the scale of regular marines hope he never thinks about how they get into terminator armor.

Well all the parts are built around them by ancient machinery & tech priests chanting to the machine god to make it all work because it’s cool

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
I think you are being a little nit picky for a guy who is doing this in his spare time alone. I think what has been done here is an impressive feat.
He got the scale and proportions right, its just lacking the bold color pallette and personality this universe is known for. I have the original plastic Imperial Space Marine and Terminator kits from when the Mk.6 marines had studs and beaks, and the Terminators primarily existed to fight genestealers.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
He got the scale and proportions right, its just lacking the bold color pallette and personality this universe is known for. I have the original plastic Imperial Space Marine and Terminator kits from when the Mk.6 marines had studs and beaks, and the Terminators primarily existed to fight genestealers.

ok so you just dont like the color choices on a fan film made by a amateur. I'll add that to my notes.