Wargaming.net (The world of tanks dev) acquire GPG

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
Really unexpected. Does this mean wargaming is going to start publishing other games, and eventually move towards maybe different genres other than arcade shooters?

... or maybe they'll make world of supreme commanders or world of dungeon siege? :awe:

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
I dont know if this is a good buy out or not. Not sure what I think. Rather unexpected and unlikely match up. Good for the GPG crew I suppose. Saved their jobs I'm guessing.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
I like WoT to a point... i think league of legends does a better job i.e. not charging for basic crap like playing with friends. Two friends can play together free but for three you pay! wtf?!

Meh, could be worse i guess.

Rinaun

Golden Member
Dec 30, 2005
I like WoT to a point... i think league of legends does a better job i.e. not charging for basic crap like playing with friends. Two friends can play together free but for three you pay! wtf?!

Meh, could be worse i guess.

This x 1000. WoT is ok, but at the end of the day a player with infinite money will always have SOME advantage compared to someone who worked hard and didn't pay a single dime. In LoL, the only perks you got with buying RP points were skins and runestones, plus exp bonuses I think. The runestones weren't even a big deal because you had enough for one set, anyways.

LoL is also successful because it was there when people needed an easier form of DOTA and the payable skins are AMAZING quality. I actually tried buying stuff when I was into LoL, but the store wasn't working correctly.

Back to the original topic, I don't think this was a well-planned purchase unless they got some screaming deal/concession, etc. It doesn't really make sense and seems like a hail mary purchase to save jobs/IP.

Last edited:

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
This x 1000. WoT is ok, but at the end of the day a player with infinite money will always have SOME advantage compared to someone who worked hard and didn't pay a single dime. In LoL, the only perks you got with buying RP points were skins and runestones, plus exp bonuses I think. The runestones weren't even a big deal because you had enough for one set, anyways.

LoL is also successful because it was there when people needed an easier form of DOTA and the payable skins are AMAZING quality. I actually tried buying stuff when I was into LoL, but the store wasn't working correctly.

Back to the original topic, I don't think this was a well-planned purchase unless they got some screaming deal/concession, etc. It doesn't really make sense and seems like a hail mary purchase to save jobs/IP.

I'm wondering if its like a corporate raid thing more than a mutual merge/buy out. WG rushes in and buys them then takes the more valuable resources and spits the rest out. This sort of thing happens all the time in the corporate world I'm told.

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
I don't get it, it seemed like Chris Taylor wanted to run his own company and not be under the control of someone else. Yet, (and I don't know the business) he was relying on just Kick Starter to keep his company afloat? What about loans and such?