warcraft + 9700pro

McChokolat

May 12, 2000
i just put my 9700 in after keeping it in the box for about a month and not opening it...
most games run fine with no obvious changes over my gf4, but warcraft 3 freezes every time i start the game.
any clues?

im running it on a 1.2 athlon with 512 pc133 and at 1280x1024 (my LCD's max) and it worked fine before the 9700.

harbinger52

Dec 21, 2000
The usual respone to this is "Did you get rid of all the Nvidia drivers?" A majority of people will tell you to do a clean install when changing video card companies (ie.. ATI -> Nvidia and Nvidia -> ATI) You could try Det Destroyer to make sure you got rid of all the nvidia stuff If you did not do a Clean install.

McChokolat

May 12, 2000
if you mean reinstalling the OS, i didnt do that. all i did was remove the old drivers with the xp controll panel and then installed this one.

McChokolat

May 12, 2000
im not doing an OS reinstallation, i've had my xp since i installed it first and i refuse to reinstall, plus its too much crap to go through.
all other games work fine, so i'm gonna reinstall wc3, i've salvaged the registry manually to make sure its clean.

worst case, i pull it out and stick the geforce back in...

Aug 15, 2002
It is not necessary to re-install XP.

I moved from a GF4 to a Radeon 9700pro just 4 weeks ago. I went to the nvidia control panel and wrote down all the driver files they are listing there (they usually start with "nv", so that should be enough). Then I de-installed the nvidia driver using the software/remove. After this I did a search for all "non-removed" nvidia files (via explorer/find) and deleted them manually (took2 minutes). I did not care about any registry settings.

All games including WC3 work fine for me. No crashes - nothing. I was using Catalyst drivers 2.4, 2.5 and now 3.0a.

Cheers
Speedy

McChokolat

May 12, 2000
i've removed the hell out of all the old drivers, reinstalled warcraft and the 9700 again, but it still locks up.

i thought maybe it was a juice problem (although it works fine with other games) so i unplugged everything but the HD, CDROM, fans and the 9700 and it still froze.

i refuse to do a clean install, so i'm gonna have to go to electronic stores and bitch at them to let me return this thing now, i'll just pretend it was a christmas gift.

DimZiE

Golden Member
Jun 26, 2001
uninstall the vid drivers from control panel ( do not restart yet ) and use the Detonator Destroyer utility which u can get at Guru3D

Noid

Platinum Member
Sep 20, 2000
Are the timings on your RAM aggressive?
You may have uncovered a memory problem.
Try memtest86 for 10 loops (around 4-5 hours).

BuckMaster

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I have to agree. Im running a ATI 9700 pro and heard some people had to reinstall there OS. Thats BS I never would of bought this card after reading so many people having to do a freash install. I just removed my previous GeForce drivers and installed my card with the new DX9 and Cat 3 drivers and runs Warcraft3 great! Im having a problem on trying to bootup my PC and working on it now with the monitor not kicking on unless I reboot. I hope to get it solved! My problem is acting like the PS even though its a 400W Antec PS. And I know damn well plently of people are using 300W without and issue with this card. Ive already sent 2 GeForce 4200 back to newegg and hate to send another one back if its the card.

Anyways enough rambling! Try like you said and reinstall your GeForce card and see what happens its probably not the best to keep switching back and forth but you have to do what you have to do! :) Also you have tried to uninstall Warcraft and reinstall it again in case of a bad install correct?

Good Luck!

tapir

Nov 21, 2001
Look up all the uninstall procedures for both ATi and nVidia drivers, completely remove everything, then start again. If you didn't completely kill the nVidia drivers before you put in the 9700 you'll definitely have problems.

McChokolat

May 12, 2000
strangely it wasnt a driver problem at all, after going through all that crap to remove everything, i just reinstalled the cat3 and directx9 and it runs great...

MrCraphead

Platinum Member
Sep 20, 2000
Wait, Detonator Destroyer doesn't work w/ XP, or does it? Any programs, which do the same thing, ARE compatible?

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
You don't need detonator destroyer, just add/remove nVidia's drivers and then search your registry for "nvidia" and "geforce" and delete anything you find.

Also make sure you have the latest BIOS and chipset drivers for your system, make sure Warcraft 3 is patched to the latest version and try reinstalling the game itself.