Warcraft 3 TFT VS'ing Undead Insane.

fLipsyde

Apr 12, 2008
Well, I've had warcraft 3 for ages but never played it all that much. For some unknown reason I just crave the game recently lol.. and all I want to do is play it. I can't seem to beat an insane undead AI. My favorite race is night elf and I just get smashed by the insane undead. They're army is twice as big and I swear twice as strong. They get two hero's at level 4-5 by the time I have one hero at that level which I think is just bs.

So basically I just want to know a strat or some theory's of how to beat an insane undead with nighelf.

P.S I know this probably sounds stupid to some of you but its got me farked on beating them :p

Cheers guys.

FallenHero

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2006
Be aggressive from the start. Its the key to beating any insane computer...you have to act before they do because they can outspend you twofold.

Maleficus

Diamond Member
May 2, 2001
If I remember correctly, the comp cheats.

My advice is don't play online, the game balance is still far enough off that it's just silly.

anyone who has played for even a small period of time can tell you exactly how ever matchup is going to be played out.

fLipsyde

Apr 12, 2008
Ok thanks guys. So how exactly do you be aggressive with night elf? Should I just go lots of archers and keep provoking them so they can't get there second gold mind etc and they're always playing catch up instead of attacking me?

Maleficus

Diamond Member
May 2, 2001
harass with hero and build an attack from there

the only hero you ever need to pick first = Demon Hunter.

Lithan

Platinum Member
Aug 2, 2004
Been a LONG time since I've played but I seem to recall that Huntress spam raped Undead pretty well.

Maleficus

Diamond Member
May 2, 2001
Originally posted by: Lithan
Been a LONG time since I've played but I seem to recall that Huntress spam raped Undead pretty well.

It must have been a really long time, because undead have been massing fiends for years, hunts would get raped hard.

fLipsyde

Apr 12, 2008
Well I just vs'ed a "normal" undead and I won the game. Took me some time to do so and was fairly close at some points of the game but I did win. I harrased early with the demon hunter which I do believe shooked them around a bit. I think where I started to loose it was with my army, I didn't really know what sort of army to build while I was harrasing with my hero.

This is the army I built. I went archers, dryads, Druid of the talon, then chimmare's. Before I got my chims up fully was when I was finding it difficult. My archers where getting raped by the spiders and the dryads didn't do a lot really.. since they didn't exactly go mass air, and well the druids did next to nothing.

Is there any tips of what sort of build of army to go? or tips of how to control my army, e.g getting my archers to attack air whilst my druids do there magic. I always put units that have magic spells etc on auto-cast but is there a better way to go about it then that? or is that how it's done?

Also - I noticed my chimms also had a real hard time when they kept getting webbed and soon as that happened it was over for them so maybe that strat isn't the best against an undead?

Cheers.

fLipsyde

Apr 12, 2008
Originally posted by: Zenoth
Try AMAI, it's a better A.I modification for WC3: http://users.ecs.soton.ac.uk/lph105/AMAI/
When I downloaded the AMAI vs blizz AI , I can't install it. I extracted it and run the .exe file and it just says it can't find the latest patch or something? my version of TFT is 1.21??

I can't find any direct instructions on there website/forums of how to install it either.

fLipsyde

Apr 12, 2008
I have version 1.21b and what do you mean the map? I just double clicked .exe and all this stuff comes up saying I can't do it.

The map I'm trying to beat the undead on is Echo Isles though, and that's the one I tried using AMAI with.

Lithan

Platinum Member
Aug 2, 2004
Originally posted by: Maleficus
Originally posted by: Lithan

It must have been a really long time, because undead have been massing fiends for years, hunts would get raped hard.

Well I didn't just sit there with them. I would feint and funnel them into about 30 hit saws. If I kept them any less than 4 abreast It was rare to lose a single huntress. And if you've got blademaster it's much less micromanaging because you only have to hurt them enough he can finish them off with a swing. Seems most people online recommend kodiaks (mutated druids) though. I never played nightelf as an armored race. When I wanted armor I'd play Undead.

fLipsyde

Apr 12, 2008
Well does anyone think they can make me a move for move strat for night elf to beat an undead insane? or know where there would be any strategies guides that would?

Cheers.

Superrock

Oct 28, 2000
What i meant by map was just that you gotta scout where the comp is in order to counter

Insane is really tough for me to beat on that map because the comp player cheats. The comp runs away when you attack it with a bigger army(it can see the entire map) and always seems to attack when you're away from your base.

On that particular map I beat computer by just rushing huntresses and expanding early(one protecting tower at expansion), lvling my Warden Hero to lvl 4 since shes good at killing other heroes, then waiting for the computer to attack either my main base or expansion. I try to trap the computer army by getting behind him with my own army and trapping him against my base because if I don't, he just runs away with his army. After I kill most of his army+ heroes I attack his expansion before going for his main army. Usually after the initial rush the computer will build lots of air so I counter with archers.

I also try to save my game often in case he attacks me when I'm away from my base(sorta cheating I dunno)

Majes

Golden Member
Apr 8, 2008
NE vs UD is a rough matchup when the UD gets more resources than you...

I would go Keeper of the grove with entangle and head straight for mass huntresses. Get into his base right off the bat and kill any ghouls or acolytes you can. Wear down the hero when you can as well.

If its a big map, then youre screwed vs insane... He gets too much time and there are too many units for you to counter.

As a human player Ive beaten 3 insanes on a few maps, and I wont lose to 2 insanes any longer. It would be much harder for me as Night elf though so Im not sure if my advice will work.

For the people who say dont play online...
First this game is one of the hardest games ever... It took me three years to break away from playing a starcraft style and get into the insane individual unit micro that W3 requires. Its really simple... You cant let a unit die.
The balance between the races however is excellent. Some heroes are arguably stronger than others, but the fact is if you cant micro your hero to the best of its ability then you are going to get stomped online anyway.

Lithan

Platinum Member
Aug 2, 2004
How do you guys play solo vs insane comps? Just set up a MP game and not let anyone join?

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
I finally beat the single player game today! woot.

now i have to play the expansion pack heh

Lithan

Platinum Member
Aug 2, 2004
Originally posted by: Jax Omen
... are you serious?

go into the single player menu, choose "custom game"

It has been ~ 4 years since I played this game remember.