War On Drugs Must Be Ended

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

diesbudt

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2012
There are also people who are just plain lazy. No drugs needed. It's sad when we, as a society, blame inanimate objects for our own problems. It's even worse when government officials demonize said objects with lies and bs propoganda.

Yes it is sad all the lies the government talks about it, but some people do get addicted to anything (including marijuana, video games, candy, exercise, sex, alcohol) ruining their lives, or a few years of it. Its a craving that beats out "need to do" activities. People who were A's in college classes stopped showing up as they spend 8-10 hours a day on Warcraft. Its sad that so many things can be addictive.

And then some people are actually addicted to being lazy. Its really "fun" how society has fallen in some reguards.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
Using a 2400 year old philosophical thought process to determine modern ideals and ethics is pretty moronic.

You are purposefully confusing a well accepted debate tactic with your failed line of reasoning. Just admit that specific line of reasoning is bad and stop using it. Consider it the sharpening of your debating sword.

There are many good reasons to legalize some drugs. Saying "because the laws do not stop people from doing it" is not one of them, since it can apply to all laws.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
There are also people who are just plain lazy. No drugs needed. It's sad when we, as a society, blame inanimate objects for our own problems. It's even worse when government officials demonize said objects with lies and bs propoganda.

Agreed, and it goes for a host of things including blaming guns for people shooting each other.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
You can buy medical findings. They also say marijuana kills brain cells because they used to strap gas masks on monkeys and suffocate them with marijuana smoke. Suffocation kills brain cells, not marijuana...just sayin.

Most likely pot kills brain cells - you are breathing smoke and smoke does that. It is not because it is pot, it is because it is smoke. Cigs do the same thing.

But if what ceiling xjohnx says is correct, that would explain why it is more addictive...it is a more potent form of the drug.

zanejohnson

Diamond Member
Nov 29, 2002
whoever is too thick skulled to realize, that, nowdays the two big competitors in the pharma trade... are... big pharma, and the black market.. in fact they are buying the same poppie harvests that one on hand big pharma makes hydrocodone, morphine sulfate, dilaudid... and the black market stuck to the old school version.. diacetyl-morphine (heroin)

we have meth.. and then we have the big pharma version...adderall.

we used to have Quaalude, and now we have the big pharma version.. xanax, klonopin, ativan, etc

we have marijuana, and then we have the big pharma version... tylenol, benedryl, dextromethorphan (which can actually kill you)

then we have the designer drug market, which is ONLY THERE because of the drug war... nobody wants to do bath salts... all it is a slightly different chemical then methamphetamine, read up about mephadrone.. that is bath salts..

anyway the whole point of this post is that you can see, this is a competitive market, with two big players.. the black market (which is definitely bigger, and more powerful, and has bought heads in our american political system just like big pharma... and we have big pharma...

big pharma HATES this competition... in fact they are getting there asses kicked.. you can buy heroin for pennies on the dollar.. and it costs fucking 100 bucks to get 90 hydrocodones.... see what i'm saying...

the only weapon big pharma has against the black market is the prison industry... and that is why it will take a dissolution of the USA for anything to change.. but that is coming..

we know how supply and demand works... people need there drugs, illegal or not, and will not hesitate to rise up if they can't have them, or the risk of jail becomes too great....

look at portugar, the netherlands, sweden, even spain and france... peaceful countries where there isn't draconian laws on substances... this equals stability.. the wild west and crooked government and politicians, shit, we are giving these cartels weapons to fight us with so that we CAN hear about the violence...

think the wall street of the illegal drug trade... you think it would be easy to stop wall street... lol.. no. the only thing is.. they are more stable then wall street...

there are entire towns founded on marijuana/cocaine/opium cultivation is southern mexico... ENTIRE TOWNS...

Last edited:

zanejohnson

Diamond Member
Nov 29, 2002
Most likely pot kills brain cells - you are breathing smoke and smoke does that. It is not because it is pot, it is because it is smoke. Cigs do the same thing.

But if what ceiling xjohnx says is correct, that would explain why it is more addictive...it is a more potent form of the drug.

in a perfect world, or less fucked up i guess country.. people would be making THC gel caps and what not, not even smoking the flowers... concentrates, oils, edibles...

luckily some of us are that smart and are doing that already.. let alone growing there own and not even giving a cent to either big pharma, or the black market

Apr 27, 2012
And that, in a nutshell, is the problem in this country. If you agree with one thing you have to subscribe to everything else, which is assinine.

I know you were kind of joking, so don't take that personally, it is just something about this country that really irks me.

I talk a lot about the war on drugs and people think I am crazy but I am right, its the same with all the other issues I talk about I am right

Pr0d1gy

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2005
I talk a lot about the war on drugs and people think I am crazy but I am right, its the same with all the other issues I talk about I am right

Cmon man, nobody is right about everything. This ideaological footprinting ideal is becoming a huge problem as more and more people look to others to think for them.

Apr 27, 2012
Cmon man, nobody is right about everything. This ideaological footprinting ideal is becoming a huge problem as more and more people look to others to think for them.

Nobody is, but on those other issues I talk about I am right and later you will realize it but its going to be too late

zanejohnson

Diamond Member
Nov 29, 2002
three things that are real, that nobody wants to believe....

1. the world trade center... i can't believe anyone still thinks that wasn't a controlled demolition, those planes weren't even real.. look at vids of holographic projection, look at the videos.. shit..

2. the war on drugs, which is to keep big pharma on top, and to supply our massive prison industrial complex

3. deforestation of the planet via haarp, which is an elaborate attempt to trigger the next world war.. it's there, you can look at streaming maps of the cloud formations/rotations to see how haarp works. water is a necessity, you monopolize/control that.. and shit goes haywire.. israel is doing this.. in fact read about how they are already practicing water starvation on the palestinians.

Last edited:

KAZANI

Sep 10, 2006
The revolution in the manufacturing and food industries that hemp cannabis will bring, is also a prime reason for continuing the charade of prohibition. As it is, not only are the markets being deprived of a high quality and cheaper basic material which requires less energy and chemicals to grow, but also entire countries in the developing world are being damned to perennial poverty and corruption, just so the current capitalist elite may retain its priviledges.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Reporters in print vs reporters on the news.

Wait for the tox reports to officially come back.

MJ will have been used as a conduit for PCP.

So are cigarettes.

Just because she admitted to it in the past, doesn't mean that's the only method of delivery.

Last edited:

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
big pharma HATES this competition... in fact they are getting there asses kicked.. you can buy heroin for pennies on the dollar.. and it costs fucking 100 bucks to get 90 hydrocodones.... see what i'm saying..

They aren't that expensive, they are usually about $40 for 120, and heroin is only cheaper for a little while, once your tolerance goes up you could easily be spending $100-400 a day.

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
Bolded = stfu then.

You're still spreading misinformation, aka lies.

Wow seriously what the fuck is wrong with him lately? I think we know who is smoking PCP... FFS.

+1 for another logical vote for MJ having absolutely nothing to do with the child killing. It's like blaming the fucking syringe for helping the addict shoot up. Jesus H Christ.

zanejohnson

Diamond Member
Nov 29, 2002
They aren't that expensive, they are usually about $40 for 120, and heroin is only cheaper for a little while, once your tolerance goes up you could easily be spending $100-400 a day.

your talking to an ex heroin addict...

it's cheaper.

100mg of heroin is 10 bucks.. 30mg of heroin is equal to about 12 lortab 10's...

and you build tolerance to hydrocodone just as fast as you do diacetyl-morphine

and at walmart 90 lortab 10's is right at 75 bucks...

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
your talking to an ex heroin addict...

it's cheaper.

100mg of heroin is 10 bucks.. 30mg of heroin is equal to about 12 lortab 10's...

It's only cheaper if you are buying pills on the street. With a script those hydros are $0.33 each. Which kind of goes along with another reason I think drugs should be legal, on the street that 33 cent pill sells for $4. There is a huge reason for the amount of diversion of pharms. Even if you pay the full boat retail they are still only 0.83 each.

Last edited:

zanejohnson

Diamond Member
Nov 29, 2002
It's only cheaper if you are buying pills on the street. With a script those hydros are $0.33 each. Which kind of goes along with another reason I think drugs should be legal, on the street that 33 cent pill sells for $4. There is a huge reason for the amount of diversion of pharms. Even if you pay the full boat retail they are still only 0.83 each.

more like if you dont have insurance...

which would be retail, which is what i was talking about... on the street there 5 bucks a pop.

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
more like if you dont have insurance...

which would be retail, which is what i was talking about... on the street there 5 bucks a pop.

I don't have insurance and my scripts were $40 for 120 10/500. I'd hate to live where you do.

Just an fyi, if you don't have insurance talk to the pharmacy, most will either put you on their prescription plan, or find one of the many free ones, or discount plans.

zanejohnson

Diamond Member
Nov 29, 2002
90 * .83c = 75 bucks
90 * 10 = 900mg

/4 for the difference in potency of dia-morphine vs. hydrocodone

= 225mg dia morph

200mg dia morph = 20 bucks

now factor in the doctor visit.

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
90 * .83c = 75 bucks
90 * 10 = 900mg

/4 for the difference in potency of dia-morphine vs. hydrocodone

= 225mg dia morph

200mg dia morph = 20 bucks

now factor in the doctor visit.

Yea, you said that already, of course if you are an ex addict you know that ones tolerance doesn't stay there, and an equivalent amount of fire is going to be a lot stronger than those ten tabs, and one's tolerance is going to skyrocket. Also you're not taking in account geographical differences in scenes.

zanejohnson

Diamond Member
Nov 29, 2002
Yea, you said that already, of course if you are an ex addict you know that ones tolerance doesn't stay there, and an equivalent amount of fire is going to be a lot stronger than those ten tabs, and one's tolerance is going to skyrocket. Also you're not taking in account geographical differences in scenes.

you're right....

my whole point was only that the black market is winning, the drug war is unsustainable.. more and more black market drugs come in every year and just get cheaper and cheaper... and that's what big pharma hates.

we'll either have to legitimize the black market suppliers, or... well.. big pharma will go out of business slowly, more violence, etc because they won't share the market.. THEY would rather just have all "illicit drug users" in jail.... they seem to think they can actually stop the smuggling

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
you're right....

my whole point was only that the black market is winning, the drug war is unsustainable.. more and more black market drugs come in every year and just get cheaper and cheaper... and that's what big pharma hates.

we'll either have to legitimize the black market suppliers, or... well.. big pharma will go out of business slowly, more violence, etc because they won't share the market.. THEY would rather just have all "illicit drug users" in jail.... they seem to think they can actually stop the smuggling

Personally I'd think it would benefit them tremendously to legalize drugs, then pharmaceutical versions would be readily available and effective kill the black market. I mean come on, when you were using would have rather got a bundle of fire, or a bottle of pure dia?

Of course the war is unsustainable, there's no way they can stop people wanting to use/need drugs.

Last edited:

zanejohnson

Diamond Member
Nov 29, 2002
Personally I'd think it would benefit them tremendously to legalize drugs, then pharmaceutical versions would be readily available and effective kill the black market. I mean come on, when you were using would have rather got a bundle of fire, or a bottle of pure dia?

Of course the war is unsustainable, there's no way they can stop people wanting to use/need drugs.

very true, like in "trainspotting" when there chemist buddy went codeine (paracetemol) to dia morph, and they went over there and he gave them a bump, and some ecstasy to sell :)

i remember my mouth watering back then.. the way it was all golden in that vial lol..

yeah, ya know i guess eventually legalization would help the existing system.. all the more reason why we need to hurry up and just get over that hump... even though i dont use anymore, i can totally see that stopping alot of prostitution, theft because of extreme withdrawal, etc.. :)

great posts john with lots of good insight :)