WaPo "The evidence of a drop in violence in Iraq is becoming hard to dispute."

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Originally posted by: Bowfinger
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
Originally posted by: GrGr
Hundreds of thousands of dead Iraqis as a result of the invasion (600,000+ according to the Lancet in 2006 keep in mind those numbers is a year old at least, some estimates put the figure above 1 million currently).

4.4 million refugees. Early 2007 it was estimated more than 40 % of the middle class had fled the country (almost a year ago).

Yeehaw, the Iraqi genocide is definitely going smoothly.
You must be getting your numbers from the same place as Rogo.

1 million dead in a country of 26 million? 4% of their population has died in 4.5 years? 250,000 people a year? 684 people a DAY!! Give me a break.

History lesson:
Iran-Iraq was lasted 8 years and yet the estimated death toll is only 500-750,000

In WW 2 only SIX countries lost more than a million people. Japan, Germany, Russia, China, Poland and Yugoslavia.
Italy and France lost 410,000 and 600,000 respectively despite the fact that both experience very heavy fighting.

And yet you want me to believe that more people have died in Iraq in the last 4 years than died in France and Italy combined during WW2? (The France and Italy numbers INCLUDE all their military losses as well.)
An estimated 620 thousand died in the U.S. Civil War, out of a total population of 31 million.
And that was during an all out war that destroyed half the country.
In Iraq we are talking about nothing at all on that scale.

There is NO evidence at all to back-up the 1 million claim.

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
Originally posted by: TastesLikeChicken

Notice when the anti-war types have been wrong in this thread they just completely ignore their faux pas as if it never happened. You ignored them too. No surprise though. That's the typical bias that people who don't drink the anti-war kool-aid have to face in this forum. You'll dote on my perceived errors while excusing those of your own ilk.

Left or right, you're not much good as a political analyst if you don't have the sack to back up anything you say when a reasonable request is made to do so. This epitomizes you no matter if you're D, R, or I.

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
Originally posted by: palehorse74
Originally posted by: palehorse74
During the past 12 months, many tactical and strategic changes occurred throughout Iraq. "The surge" supported our efforts to re-allocate and redirect troops in response to the changed tactics and new strategies.

Our strategy to secure Baghdad was perhaps the most dramatically changed.

Baghdad has 474 neighborhoods. Prior to the surge, the U.S and coalition forces controlled roughly 10% of Baghdad on any given day. U.S. and Iraqi forces now control approximately 50% of Baghdad - a percentage that is growing every day.

A President, even as the CIC, does not draw up the tactics and strategies our military leaders implement on the ground in theater. His NSC and JCS present different plans, and he may approve them; but, he will rarely, if ever, give direct input to those tactical and strategic plans. That is the case with the majority of changes implemented under Petraeus' leadership downrange. Many of those changes were dramatic, but Petraeus has done an excellent job in getting his subordinates to understand and implement the changes.

Those of you who think "the surge" was simply a matter of throwing 30k more troops at the problem are idiots.
I guess most of you missed (read: ignored) this post...

I don't think anyone ignored it, I think people simply disagree that that is the shift necessary to win the war. It's still a major military occupation, and that very broad fact is anathema to the strategy that several published intelligence reports (including NIE) have suggested, where they have said there is substantial evidence that our mere presence in Iraq is stoking terrorist jihad.

Obviously none of us are experts here, but I'd argue that when the only 3/4-star generals coming out publicly are all guys who are against the war, all saying the strategy is a disaster and that we either have to 1) pull out soon (< 6-12 months) or 2) stay a little while longer (12-24 months) so as to give Iraqi's the slightest inkling of stability so that we can get the heck out of there....that tells you something. IMO.

Sep 12, 2004
Originally posted by: Evan Lieb

Notice when the anti-war types have been wrong in this thread they just completely ignore their faux pas as if it never happened. You ignored them too. No surprise though. That's the typical bias that people who don't drink the anti-war kool-aid have to face in this forum. You'll dote on my perceived errors while excusing those of your own ilk.

Left or right, you're not much good as a political analyst if you don't have the sack to back up anything you say when a reasonable request is made to do so. This epitomizes you no matter if you're D, R, or I.
"Reasonable" being the key word. Unfortunately the D's in this forum apply a different definition of reasonable to themselves than they do to others in here. For the I's, "reasonable" depends on whether an I is for or against the war in Iraq.

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002

"Reasonable" being the key word. Unfortunately the D's in this forum apply a different definition of reasonable to themselves than they do to others in here. For the I's, "reasonable" depends on whether an I is for or against the war in Iraq.

I think it's pretty reasonable when someone asks you to back up what you say, even if they're petulant about it, and then you fail to do so. You have a track record of this.

Sep 12, 2004

I think it's pretty reasonable when someone asks you to back up what you say, even if they're petulant about it, and then you fail to do so. You have a track record of this.
When they have honest intent it's reasonable. When someone comes in here wothout honest intent, as was so plainly evident recently, they are not being reasonable.

Link to the Patraeus Plan? C'mon. Even some of the lefties in here had to laugh over the idiocy of that request.

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
Originally posted by: Rogodin2
And 54 percent say U.S. forces should be brought home as soon as possible, unchanged from the July poll.

Rogo

"as soon as possible" is nowhere near the same thing as "immediate withdrawl". You'd really have to know in what context that question is asked. I would like to see the troops brought home as soon as possible, but I am definitely not in favor of an immediate withdrawl.

Although I'm sure we could argue the meaning of "as soon as possible" to death. But I think that most reasonable people know that an immediate withdrawl is not possible, and it would cause more harm than good.

Hlafordlaes

May 21, 2006
Quite frankly, it is the opportunity costs and poorer US security relating to this war that most disturb me:

- Loss of US credibility from the use, and misuse, of faulty intelligence to justify the war
- Loss of US moral leadership from the use of torture and the cynical labeling of prisoners as detainees to circumvent the Geneva convention rights
- Loss of an golden oppty to develop and carry out a Marshal plan in Afghanistan that could have succeeded in reshaping the heartland of Al-Qaeda
- Destabilization of Pakistan as a result, partially, of the preceding point and the Iraq war
- Acquiescence to the nuclearization of India to offset these weaknesses, yet in doing so making arguments against nuclear proliferation hollow (see Iran)
- Alienation of Russia thru prolonged US focus on a shoot-first, winner-take-all diplomacy
- Making the Iran bomb far more likely due to the preceding two points

There are some positive developments nonetheless, which to be fair should be mentioned, and which I ascribe in part to the same bully diplomacy:
- Libya blinked
- North Korea seems to be blinking

Now the loss of moral and political leadership may seem to be a pansy liberal concern, but they were key tools that helped win the (first) Cold War, which, if you are paying any attention, has already restarted in earnest. Today we need more often to pay off dubious collaborators, and far less often can count on philosophical and moral allies. The US has conquered the low moral ground, and now keeps the kind of company one would expect.

My take is that the Afghan war was critical to the fight on Al Qaeda, and, yes, the willingness to invade Pakistan and grab all its nukes, under certain scenarios, too. If Iraq had not been invaded and half the money spent on rebuilding Afghanistan (with the other on energy research), we would be in a much better position diplomatically, financially and militarily to take on Iran. Now the US will be the bad guys when it, if it, takes on our true number one enemy on the terror front.

I would qualify King George's neocon actions as just plain stupid, if it were not so clear that foreign policy is driven by narrow economic interests from which they benefit (cf Cheney's still-secret energy policy meetings). No, this group has sold out America's true security in a manner I consider nothing less than high treason.

As for the OP, with the ethnic separation nearly complete, the Sunnis have decided the only way to have a good share of future oil revenues is via cooperation with the US. 'Nuf said.

glugglug

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2002
The GOP talking heads are right. Eventually the surge will lead to a drop in civilian casualties.... they'll run out of civilians.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Originally posted by: JD50
And 54 percent say U.S. forces should be brought home as soon as possible, unchanged from the July poll.

Rogo
"as soon as possible" is nowhere near the same thing as "immediate withdrawl". You'd really have to know in what context that question is asked. I would like to see the troops brought home as soon as possible, but I am definitely not in favor of an immediate withdrawl.

Although I'm sure we could argue the meaning of "as soon as possible" to death. But I think that most reasonable people know that an immediate withdrawl is not possible, and it would cause more harm than good.
Give him some credit for at least coming back.

Most people would have ran for the hills after an owning like that.

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007

Rogo

Nice obfuscation there, Johnnie! The only p'ownage going on is that of the American people against the Illegal Bush War of Occupation in Iraq - by a 2 to 1 margin.

Take the latest poll numbers on Iraq for a spin and see how the American people really feel about things.

And you are encoraged to maintain your same ol' tired talking points, manipulation of the truth and rhetoric. I think it's wonderful. More Red meat for the Blues in 2008. Thank you!

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Originally posted by: heyheybooboo

Rogo

Nice obfuscation there, Johnnie! The only p'ownage going on is that of the American people against the Illegal Bush War of Occupation in Iraq - by a 2 to 1 margin.

Take the latest poll numbers on Iraq for a spin and see how the American people really feel about things.

And you are encoraged to maintain your same ol' tired talking points, manipulation of the truth and rhetoric. I think it's wonderful. More Red meat for the Blues in 2008. Thank you!
Um No, the guy CLAIMED that 74% of Americans wanted an immediate withdrawal from Iraq. Said that there was a poll stating this.

I made a posted that showed his claim was total BS, not only was he off by 20 points (by his own admission) but he was wrong on the language as well.

In essence the guy posted total BS and got caught doing it. But at least he had the guys to return and admit his mistake, sort of.

BTW you can post whatever poll you want, that has nothing to do what he said and posted.

Stoneburner

Diamond Member
May 29, 2003
So proffy, are you going to admit your mistake in that plame thread where Evan Lieb dropped the hammer on you :)? Have you heard of politico.com yet :)?

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
Originally posted by: heyheybooboo

Rogo

Um No, the guy CLAIMED that 74% of Americans wanted an immediate withdrawal from Iraq. Said that there was a poll stating this.

I made a posted that showed his claim was total BS, not only was he off by 20 points (by his own admission) but he was wrong on the language as well.

In essence the guy posted total BS and got caught doing it. But at least he had the guys to return and admit his mistake, sort of.

BTW you can post whatever poll you want, that has nothing to do what he said and posted.

Well, Rogo was man enough to come back to the thread after getting owned, lets see if heyheybooboo does the same.

Rogodin2

Banned
Jul 2, 2003
I wasn't owned, I was off by 20%.

I'm glad to read that a majority of americans don't support this war. There were some interesting figures regarding our own soldiers' desires for withdrawl. I believe it was somewhere close to 99% of those polled that wanted a withdrawl as soon as possible.

;)

Rogo

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
I wasn't owned, I was off by 20%.

I'm glad to read that a majority of americans don't support this war. There were some interesting figures regarding our own soldiers' desires for withdrawl. I believe it was somewhere close to 99% of those polled that wanted a withdrawl as soon as possible.

;)

Rogo
You were off by 20% and you had the wording completely wrong.

There is a HUGE difference between an ?immediate withdrawal? and ?as soon as possible.?

I'll post the actual numbers again:
Bring troops home
Remove all troops immediately 18%
Gradually over next year or two 34%
Keep troops in Iraq
Should set a time table 13%
Should not set a time table 25%

So 52% want troops removed over the next year or two or sooner.

That is a LONG ways from 74% want them home NOW.

Stoneburner

Diamond Member
May 29, 2003
Stop declaring Mission Accomplished please.

I strongly believe that shortsightedness of this sort is symptomatic of the entire Iraq campaign. To so casually assume causation ignores the complexity of the iraq situation. We are not talking about just 3 groups with monolithic interests among them, we have hundreds of self-interested factions and to assume they all are responding similarly to a particular stimulus is off the mark. Violence shoots up and down in Iraq, the question is at what stage, and under what conditions, can there be some predictability? I think it's patently obvious that even the U.S. army does not have a clear sense of what is needed, or at least, whether what is needed is practical.

Stoneburner

Diamond Member
May 29, 2003
I assumed you hadn't changed your mind. I mean, you were constantly raving about how every month violence was decreasing.

BTW, nice car.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Stoneburner
Funny how quickly people forget recent history. After the surge started, violence and american soldier deaths SHOT UP. Now they go back down from record highs so people are claiming victory? Problem is, current american soldier levels are actually aroudn the same as they were 2.5 to 3 years ago. Profjohn, in his infinite stupidity, is doing what war supporters have done since the conflict began, i.e. declaring victory and saying "we've turned a corner" at every possibility.

yeah, i've also noticed that by continuously turning those corners using only their right foot, those continually turned corners have turned itself into a circle that loops iteslf over and over again with the same tired, worn out lie of a message that bush and cheney keeps barfing up all the time since they changed course mid-stream and went after saddam instead of bin laden.;)

i can imgaine how the families and loved ones of those that lost their lives on 9/11 must've really felt when bush declared that he didn't know where bin laden was and didn't really care, and that it wasn't important and it wasn't a priority. what a shmuck to spit on and cast aside the victims of 9/11 that way just so he could go profiteering in iraq.