Wants to "HIDE" IP Address...

intricate45

Mar 6, 2001
Hello...does anyone know how I can "hide" or "mask" my IP address while online? (other than using a proxy server like anonymizer)
I have cable modem access.

joinT

Lifer
Jan 19, 2001
lol, what he's referring to is the server NEEDS to know your IP, otherwise it can't serve the webpage to you.
Who are you trying to keep your IP from ?

ScottMac

Moderator<br>Networking<br>Elite member
Mar 19, 2001
There is no way to hide your external (ISP) address without going through an anonymous proxy (and most of thse are now mapped by the Feds - National Security, doncha know).

If you are looking to protect your home/business machines, then a firewall running NAT is your best bet.

The external address is your ISP address, the internal address should be one of the RFC addresses (192.168.X.X, 172.16-31.X.X, 10.X.X.X). These addresses are not routed through the Internet (the first router to see 'em filters 'em)...so you can't be attacked directly (though there are ways to get through..but it protects you against most of the twerps).

Good Luck

Scott

Cat

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999
Just because an answer is unsatisfactory doesn't make it not "real."

The bottom line is that in order to use the internet, one of your IPs will be known. This is a fundamental property of networking. Even if you use a router with a nice firewall, your router's IP is still exposed.

Think of it this way, when you order something in the mail, how are you supposed to receive it without a home address? You can send it to a friend first (proxy,) but then it's relatively easy to find information about the friend (FBI.)

Nothinman

Elite Member
Sep 14, 2001
It's like saying you want to hide your house address so noone knows you live there and to avoid spam, in the end you get no mail at all.

Sunner

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Well you can spoof your address, but that isn't exactly terribly useful for stuff other than various kinds of DoS attacks and other not so nice things.

Nothinman

Elite Member
Sep 14, 2001
Well you can spoof your address, but that isn't exactly terribly useful for stuff other than various kinds of DoS attacks and other not so nice things.

And if your ISP is half competent (i.e. not any I've used) most spoofed addresses won't work because their routers will filter them, but even if the packet does get out you can't get any data back beause the IP is wrong.

Cat

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999
Exactly. Use is the operative word. If you just want to create havoc, you have other options :)

madthumbs

Banned
Oct 1, 2000

<< Privacy issues and marketing issues.
Does anyone else have a real answer?
>>

-"Help me spam without repurcussions" ????