Wanted: Way to increase Windows desktop size beyond size that normally accords to monitor's resolution

prowsej

Aug 16, 2001
I am looking for a software utility that would increase the size of my Windows desktop beyond the dimensions of my screen. I've seen this by default with Linux installs that I've used before (via KDE, Gnome). I want the "virtual size" of my desktop to be something like 3000 pixels across and a portion of this will be shown on screen at any given time and I can just move my cursor to the edge of the visible portion to 'scroll the screen' and see more.

This isn't well described. But I'm sure that it exists. Thank you for your assistance!

Jun 14, 2003
ill give you my old 17in CRT

any res above 1280x960 would still be displayed, but at 1280x960...so you had to pan around with the mouse to see the hidden parts of the screen

and windows did this automagically

prowsej

Aug 16, 2001
That's the sort of behaviour that I want, but I'd like to do it in software because I'm looking for a 'virtual desktop size' of something like 5000 pixels - more than I see listed in the output options from my videocard.

xtknight

Elite Member
Oct 15, 2004
This is called "virtual resolution". It happens automatically for me when I choose higher resolutions under Windows (well from NVIDIA driver resolution property page), but I don't know how to make it so yours does as well.