Wanted: fanless PIII cooler

gychang

Oct 1, 2000
anyone have one?, I need it for my freeNAS server that is constantly on and fan wasting electricity is not ideal.

thanks,

gychang

Blastman

Golden Member
Oct 21, 1999
Those fans don't use more than 2watts.

I don't see being able to run a Pentium 3 fanless unless it is a pretty large heatsink setup -- which would be expensive. You can reduce the fan speed (and wattage use) by getting a Zalman Fanmate 2 controller for about $7-8. It has a variable control and can be adjusted to run the fan pretty slow -- makes the fan nice and quiet too. Used one with my Celeron-T CPU for years.

gychang

Oct 1, 2000
Those fans don't use more than 2watts.

I don't see being able to run a Pentium 3 fanless unless it is a pretty large heatsink setup -- which would be expensive. You can reduce the fan speed (and wattage use) by getting a Zalman Fanmate 2 controller for about $7-8. It has a variable control and can be adjusted to run the fan pretty slow -- makes the fan nice and quiet too. Used one with my Celeron-T CPU for years.

thanks, very helpful. gychang

Jul 10, 2007
i believe i might one one at my parents house lying around.
problem is, i don't live close to my parents and don't visit often.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
im fairly sure your psu's effiency is worse at leeching power (especially from parts in that age) then you having to worry about a tiny little stock fan. :X

id honestly leave the stock fan...