Wanted: Copy of Anand & Leo Laporte COMDEX 1999 Video

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

KeithP

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2000
Ah, Leo Laporte, THE computer guy who told a caller on his radio show that she would have to format, lose all of her data, and buy a new copy of Windows. Because she forgot her password.

Really? When did that happen? Link?

-KeithP

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
Last edited:

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
I meant digital as in he'd a have a link to it on youtube.

There's a site that has clips that go back that far, but nothing with Anand and Laporte together.

https://archive.org/details/computersandtechvideos&tab=collection

https://archive.org/details/compute...&and[]=anand&and[]=subject:"Anand Lal Shimpi"
Right, but YouTube didn't exist in 1999. Someone would have had to record it on VHS for some reason and store it without recording over it. Sure, I had a capture card and TV tuner and a few other weirdos like me did too, but it's very unlikely that someone who had the ability to record digitally at the time would have the resources to keep it without good reason.

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
Right, but YouTube didn't exist in 1999. Someone would have had to record it on VHS for some reason and store it without recording over it. Sure, I had a capture card and TV tuner and a few other weirdos like me did too, but it's very unlikely that someone who had the ability to record digitally at the time would have the resources to keep it without good reason.

Well some wierdo must have done just that cause in the 1st post Ryan said someone had posted it a long time ago in a galaxy not so far away.

Maybe it was on someones BBS site :p

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
How do you do it? Ever since that happened to me, *every password is "password". Easy to remember.

*for security(banking, shopping, et al), I use "Password1" to increase entropy.
I approve this message.

vailr

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
There was another even earlier video (from 1998) that Anand once posted as a downloadable file, where he explained how to overclock a 300 MHz Celeron CPU on an Abit BH6 motherboard, all the way up to 450 MHz.
Original text article, but no video:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/105

Maybe: ask Anand himself & see if he has a copy of the Screen Savers video?

Last edited:

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
What about that BBS archive thingie? Long shot any links would work though.

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
Wow, I was totally confused on this. I thought Leo Laporte was Stewart Cheifet, and thus confused the Screen Savers and Computer Chronicles. I have some Computer Chronicles episodes on tape, but they're apparently at the Internet Archive too.

I just watched the beginning of a Screen Savers episode from Internet Archive. I'd apparently never seen Leo Laporte or The Screen Savers before. He seems like the kind of guy who'd try to sell you a used car Pentium 4. :rolleyes: