Want to sell my Ryzen 1700 and get a 8700k. Is it stupid or greedy?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Justinbaileyman

Golden Member
Aug 17, 2013
Well if your not trolling, then I say sell the Ryzen and go i7 8700k.In my eyes Intel is like 3 generations ahead of AMD.Not only will the 8700k overclock way higher , run way cooler, but it will also be stable doing it.Just sold all my Ryzen gear and went the 8700k route and i'm not looking back.But I do so for different reasons then you.

Reactions: Arachnotronic

caswow

Sep 18, 2013
Well if your not trolling, then I say sell the Ryzen and go i7 8700k.In my eyes Intel is like 3 generations ahead of AMD.Not only will the 8700k overclock way higher , run way cooler, but it will also be stable doing it.Just sold all my Ryzen gear and went the 8700k route and i'm not looking back.But I do so for different reasons then you.

an intel running cooler than ryzen? i must be in an another dimension. 3 generations XD pure comedy. someone said intel had 45 - 50% better ST. rofl

Qwertilot

Golden Member
Nov 28, 2013
OP, not sure what you're meaning about being "greedy".

I think I can perhaps try and explain this - it doesn't sound like he means anything actively nasty like you suggested. It sounds much more like the sense that he's spending a non trivial amount of money to only very mildly, or perhaps not at all, actually improve his day to day reality. This is of course objectively true of an awful lot of what we do in the rich western countries.

Honestly, given the way he's feeling, I'd have advise not upgrading the CPU yet. Its getting on for placebo levels of difference in day to day behaviour and if you're conflicted already then it won't help. Probably worth waiting until there's a clear cut objective reason to do it.

Maybe replace that 1TB hard drive with a massive solid state drive? Or just bank it/spend it on some other thing. Or just give a chunk of it to charity. Depends on how bad his conscience is feeling ;)

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
I would put money on the "run way cooler" is not true.

Mar 10, 2006
@ OP - it's your money, so if you want the 8700K do it up. It's definitely the best gaming chip on the market, so if you can find it, I say go for it.

Reactions: DooKey
Mar 10, 2006
Sell the Ryzen and use the funds towards the 8700k before the ryzen has absolutely no resale value at all. If you overclock to 5ghz you will get 20-30% better ST performance, 20% better MT performance and much better gaming performance. Also, when you buy an I7 you will actually get good resale value years down the road. I sold my 3770k for $180usd today. That's only $120 less than I paid for it nearly 5 years ago lol.

Intel CPUs have really mind boggling resale value. $180 for a 3770K is absolutely nuts.

Zor Prime

Nov 7, 1999
Do something about your temps, perhaps. That's crazy. At 1.34v 3.9GHz I run at 65C under load with my 1700. I use a $47 Scythe Mugen 5 air-cooler ... (granted, I have an open-frame case so that might help, Thermaltake Core P3)

Mar 10, 2006
Intel up to their old tricks again... paying people to post on forums, to "plan a seed in their mind" of people selling their Ryzen CPUs, and buying Intel. Damn dirty is what it is.

That's a pretty serious accusation to make of any poster. I would suggest having some more concrete evidence than somebody simply asking the same question on as many forums as possible to get as much input as possible before calling somebody out for being a paid shill.

Reactions: CatMerc

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
That's a pretty serious accusation to make of any poster. I would suggest having some more concrete evidence than somebody simply asking the same question on as many forums as possible to get as much input as possible before calling somebody out for being a paid shill.
Is this "shotgun approach" really a thing on internet forums these days? I've never heard of it, really. Ask on a good forum, maybe a few, but shotgunning forums? I don't buy it.

Rollo wasn't just on AT forums, either.

Reactions: Drazick

Justinbaileyman

Golden Member
Aug 17, 2013
Intel up to their old tricks again... paying people to post on forums, to "plan a seed in their mind" of people selling their Ryzen CPUs, and buying Intel. Damn dirty is what it is.
I wasn't paid anything and not in any way endorsed by Intel but if you wanna send me a check I wont argue. :) Anyways if you check on the Anandtech Front page there is an 8700k review showing it being fast then a r7 1800x and it running cooler..As for intel not being 3 generations ahead?? Ryzen was made to compete with x99 platform which is like 3 gens ago, then there was Z170 and then Z270 and now x299 and Z370. SO how is anything of what I said not true? I dont hate AMD or Ryzen but feel they need to put the Ryzen through a revision or two before I would consider rebuying it. There should be no reason I am getting lock ups and blue screens in windows and Linux and it has nothing to do with settings.
So if you are having issues and cant overclock and have temp issues then sell sell sell and go 8700k.Please stop bashing me for giving advice to interested forum members.

Jan Olšan

Jan 12, 2017
Well, jumping to the assumption of paid shilling is a bit strong. There is probably much more people that actually behave like that just out of plain fanboyism.
So many people who seem to have need to talk people into spending money, right in this thread. I wonder what is the ratio of ones that think it will make the random guy happy and people who just have silly urge to support their favourite brand?
There were (are?) lots of people here who would recommend you i7-7700K with straight face two or three weeks ago, although they knew this now-proclaimed godly i7-8700K was coming :) The lines were very similar.

Well, the hobbies people have can be very diverse :)

Anyways if you check on the Anandtech Front page there is an 8700k review showing it being fast then a r7 1800x and it running cooler.

BTW The line about Coffee Lake having better temps sounds very dubious to me too. Their TDP is the same, but Ryzen has
1) ~40% bigger die size, meaning that its heat density is lower and the area that is used for transfer into the heatspreader is much bigger. Both of those factors have to lower temperature compared to Coffee Lake.
2) much better thermal interface, while Intel TIM demonstrably raises temps by 10-20C. Even if we are talking stock, there will be at least 5 degrees added just from that. So in a fair test with both CPUs loaded on all cores and hitting their TDPs, Coffee Lake can't really win, unless the sensors lie.

I don't think there is any objective factor that could outweigh these two and make Coffee Lake that has the same power consumption (95W here) colder.

(eidt: tpyos)

Last edited:

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
I wasn't paid anything and not in any way endorsed by Intel but if you wanna send me a check I wont argue. :) Anyways if you check on the Anandtech Front page there is an 8700k review showing it being fast then a r7 1800x and it running cooler..As for intel not being 3 generations ahead?? Ryzen was made to compete with x99 platform which is like 3 gens ago, then there was Z170 and then Z270 and now x299 and Z370. SO how is anything of what I said not true? I dont hate AMD or Ryzen but feel they need to put the Ryzen through a revision or two before I would consider rebuying it. There should be no reason I am getting lock ups and blue screens in windows and Linux and it has nothing to do with settings.
So if you are having issues and cant overclock and have temp issues then sell sell sell and go 8700k.Please stop bashing me for giving advice to interested forum members.
As for your lockups and crashing on your Ryzen, there are plenty of reasons, and that scenario wreaks of bad ram, so don't blame it on the CPU. Settings can also create a problem. I have my 1800x running 100%load 24/7, and its been weeks since I even needed to reboot it. Its not the platform or the CPU, but settings or memory.

As for temps, I guess I can check that, but what I have seen so far is the 8700 runs hot, and OC'ed its a furnace.

disappoint

Lifer
Dec 7, 2009
I didn't read the whole thread so pardon me if someone mentioned it already but why not sell the Ryzen cpu on ebay and buy a new one to see if it overclocks better?

Or if it's the RAM preventing overclocking sell it and try a different brand of RAM.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Please remember that member callouts are not allowed. If you suspect a member has violated our rules, please report in the correct manner. Thanks.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
but feel they need to put the Ryzen through a revision or two before I would consider rebuying it. There should be no reason I am getting lock ups and blue screens in windows and Linux and it has nothing to do with settings.
Oh, that was you. Yeah, that's NOT the "normal" Ryzen experience, by far. Unless, maybe, you have faster RAM than 2400, that wasn't built for Ryzen specifically, and the sub-timings are off, and making things unstable.

stockwiz

Sep 8, 2013
Just do what makes you happy. I'm moving from a 4790k to a 8700k. Do i really need to? No. Do I want to? Yes.
Rocking a 2600K @ 4.5 GHZ here. Do I need to upgrade? No. Do I want too. Yes. I should wait for PCI Express 4, DDR5, and 8 core mainstream processors, but the hobby bug is itching. I don't really want to upgrade my GTX 970 until Volta comes out, either...

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
an intel running cooler than ryzen? i must be in an another dimension. 3 generations XD pure comedy. someone said intel had 45 - 50% better ST. rofl

When I heard that someone said MT was 15-20% faster on the intel you know 6 Core vs 8 Core... I LOL! Esp, test after test shows that Ryzen has the upper hand here. These are both 14 NM chips so, there is no 3 gens ahead. Right now on Amazon 1700x is 299.

Anyway, like others have stated. It's your cash, I'd stick with a AMD over Intel. But... it's a personal choice. I'm all for getting the better tech, but I believe one day (who know when) cores will matter in gaming and of course other things. I still haven't pulled the trigger on hardware yet. At this point, I'll wait till black friday or cyber monday to see if they got any good deals floating around first.

It would be no brainer to go with intel if they had stepped up to the plate with a 8 core system. Hex doesn't do it for me when I'm gonna take a 30% hit in MT.

DooKey

Golden Member
Nov 9, 2005
Yep, the it's good enough crowd is out in force. As far as the OP goes you should buy what you want. Bottom line is 8700K is the best gaming cpu available.