Question Want to reserve 5GHz for VR on separate router.

lakedude

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2009
Right now the house runs from one router upstairs. Everything has been working great, however we just set up a VR downstairs that could use more local bandwidth between the gaming PC and VR headset.

The 5GHz signal from upstairs is marginal in the VR room. The 2.4GHz signal has better reception downstairs but the streamer complains about the speed.

It is not convenient to run a network cable to the VR room.

Can I turn the 5GHz off on the upstairs router and use 5GHz for VR only with a second router downstairs?

So can I run the upstairs router on 2.4GHz only and the downstairs router on 5GHz to the VR headset and 2.4GHz to the upstairs router for internet?

lakedude

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2009
Curiously I know how to do what I want to do with a phone and a DeX.

Hook the VR headset to the downstairs router via 5GHz.

Hook the gaming PC to the downstairs router LAN port with hardwire.

Hook the DeX to the Internet or WAN port of the downstairs router.

Connect a phone to the DeX and share the 2.4GHz upstairs wifi via the network port.

Done.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
So the upstairs router is AX21?

Why not get another AX21? It supports TP-Link's OneMesh.

Two AX21 should cover the house.

Last edited:

lakedude

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2009
So the upstairs router is AX21?

Why not get another AX21? It supports TP-Link's OneMesh.

Two AX21 should cover the house.
Got an A8 upstairs, AX21 downstairs. The A8 was fine when we used the living room as our VR space. We completely emptied out a room downstairs for a real VR space. The A8 works OK downstairs but there is a lot of bandwidth between the VR headset and the VR PC so I was hoping to have those on their own 5GHz network with a wifi bridge/router in the same room for the best possible connection between the PC and the headset.

I tried to hook up the PC to the AX21 via ethernet cable and the headset via 5GHz wifi but without a connection to the internet nothing worked. The router was griping and the Virtual Desktop would not validate and run without the line out to the cloud. So I fixed it with my phone and a Dex which gave the router the WAN connection it was fussing about. It is a janky way to do business but it works.

From TP Link:

Q3: How do I set up a OneMesh™ network for different types of devices?
A3: You can use a OneMesh™ Wireless Router or Modem Router with several sets of Range Extenders or Powerline Adapters to create a OneMesh™ network. Be aware, you cannot create a OneMesh™ network between two routers.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
From TP Link:

Q3: How do I set up a OneMesh™ network for different types of devices?
A3: You can use a OneMesh™ Wireless Router or Modem Router with several sets of Range Extenders or Powerline Adapters to create a OneMesh™ network. Be aware, you cannot create a OneMesh™ network between two routers.

Wow. That sucks. You still can use RE550/RE650 to create a OneMesh network in addition to existing A8 setup.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Most name brands have very few models that support WISP/Bridge mode.

TP-Link has several travel roputer models supports that, but they are small and and the range will suck unless you have a small house.

lakedude

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2009
I've got it working using my phone 📱 as essentially a second internet connection.

Got the upstairs A8 router covering the whole house upstairs and down with 2.4GHz only, 5GHz is turned off.

Got the VR PC hardwired to the AX21 downstairs.

Got the VR headset connected to the AX21 via 5GHz with the 2.4GHz switched off. The VR is the only thing on 5GHz to avoid interference.

Oh man what a difference, smooth as silk between the RTX 3080 and the exclusive (in the same room) 5GHz router.

lakedude

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2009
So the thing I don't like is needing to use my phone. We have plenty of extra phones but they are old enough that they don't have Android 11 which is needed for the weird USB to Ethernet I'm using. Very handy BTW if your main ISP is out. You can easily run on your phone 📱.

I could buy a basic phone to use to supply the 5GHz network with a connection to the mothership but I think a travel router might work?

What I'm wanting is something to pickup the 2.4GHz signal from the A8 upstairs and send it to the WAN port of the AX21 via an Ethernet cable.

I'd be happy to leave the whole VR thing off the internet entirely but all the software needs to "validate" and update so I gotta get a signal downstairs somehow. This does not need to be a fast connection. The connection between the VR PC and VR headset needs to be fast but the signal to the internet can be slow.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Have you looked at using a powerline adapter? They are pretty cheap now, but it depends on how your house was wired as to how well they work. If your home is relatively new (i.e. not much older than 40-50 years) the power lines in your house will probably work with these. You simply plug one into an outlet (you need to use an actual outlet in the wall, not one on a power strip or battery backup unit), in the room with your router, run a ethernet connection to it, and plug another of the adapters in your VR room and run an ethernet connection from it to a local network switch, or wifi access point.

lakedude

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2009
Travel router for the win! Got it hooked up and running. Works perfectly.

I'm 99% sure the AX21 is physically able to talk to the A8 wirelessly but the firmware does not allow it. The travel router is physically less capable but the firmware is much more versatile.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Travel router for the win! Got it hooked up and running. Works perfectly.

I'm 99% sure the AX21 is physically able to talk to the A8 wirelessly but the firmware does not allow it. The travel router is physically less capable but the firmware is much more versatile.
The router firmware issues is why I don't buy a wifi router that isn't supported by openwrt/ddwrt third party firmwares.

Reactions: lakedude