Want to play pc game on TV that's >50' away.

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011
I have a 70" tv I'd like to run pc games on. Problem is the pc is at least 30' away, and I'd have to run an hdmi cable outside and back in (wife doesn't want to see wires). What kind of issues can I expect to see if I got a long hdmi cable? I mostly just play BF4.

Edit: How would the Nvidia Shield work for BF4?

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Your wife would rather you have holes in your home than to see a small wire running along the bottom of the wall? Why can't you move your PC closer?

sxr7171

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2002
Use HDMI over Cat5. Great solution works to 100'. I recommended Gefen products but many make products for that standard.

b-mac

Jun 15, 2015
I am running a 30 foot hdmi and usb extension under the floor (drop down ceiling in the basement) and have had no issues with latency or visual quality. It's pretty awesome!

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
EDIT: just realized I completely misread your question.

Steam LInk as suggested may work, just be aware that it can be pixelly and a bit lagged at times.

Last edited:

PrincessFrosty

Platinum Member
Feb 13, 2008
www.frostyhacks.blogspot.com
If you want to do a HDMI run then check the specs for HDMI because there's a max length recommended before you might have signal issues. Remember HDMI is digital so it's not that you'll see image degredation at length, it'll just stop working if the run is too long. You can buy active (powered) HDMI boosters.

Other options are HDMI over Ethernet, Ethernet is rated up to about 100m so a good choice, plus Ethernet cables are typically much easier to hide as they're smaller than the bulky HDMI ones.

There's also a number of other wireless capable streaming devices if you don't mind a tiny amount of compression that most of these things come with, Steam link is one option but there's others on the market.

There's also wireless HDMI devices but In my experience they're quite expensive and for some reason quite bulky.

I personally just run HDMI but then my PC and home theater are both in my living room so that's a short run, but easy to hide, there's a number of products that will hide away cable runs around skirting board and alike.

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011
Thanks I'll check hdmi over ethernet and see what that requires if I decide to give it a shot. The previous homeonwer had direct tv with a line coming in where the tv is at, so I would just remove that cable and run hdmi outside in using the same hole. Never heard of steam link. I'll check it out.

clok1966

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2004
I am doing this on 65 in my living room, I had some issues with my ebay brand HDMI, I picked up a NAME brand (still cheap, RCA high speed 2.0) and it solved it. With the cheap cable it would work a few seconds then blank the screen (thought my new video card was bad) but it was the cable. Mine is 25' but i thought you where good to 50 feet with 2.0, after it might get to be issues. Mine is 4K, not sure if you are doing that, if no 4k i think a regular HDMI will work.