amd 8350
thermalright true spirit 140
asus m5a99fx pro 2.0
asus 270x direct cu 2 top
apatop 1833 cl9 at 1.65 volts
sandisk ultra star 128 gb
toshiba 2tb

the memory is running at 1333 at cl11 right now

should i run the asus ai overclock or any of the asus auto overclocks. would like some advice running the asus uefi bios

want to go 4.5 for 8350 and preferably 1200 + and 1500 + on the video card.

the video card already overclocks to 1175 and 1500 just fine

Last edited:

Burpo

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2013
I can't speak about your chip, but can attest to the fact that the Asus AI Overclock options work well. Just try their settings and monitor your temps.

norseamd

Lifer
Dec 13, 2013
so manually overclocking failed. does anyone have experience with asus uefi bios?

what is the cpu ratio? what should i be using?

the overclock probably failed because i set the memory to 1866. on the bottem of the ai tweaker it said ram was using up to 1.65 volts so i thought it should work because the ram is rated at 1866 at cl 9 for 1.65 volts.

jolancer

Sep 6, 2004
suggestion,
go to the computer help section and the likes, and look at all the threads from people asking for help because of random lockups, BSODS, graphic corruption, restart loops, etc.

then decide if its even worth your while to try overclocking. seeing as you get no benefits from it, but your own perseptual illusion of something seeming faster because you personally changed the setting. most of the threads in the help section on those subjects, they almost never mention they were overclocking, but you can be damn sure there system didn't up and kick itself in the face for no reason.

if you choose to oc you can test this simply by.. after you figure out how to properly oc, have a family member or friend play your game with FPS OSD off, (overclock it with out telling them) ask them to play a specific part of one of your games. (then turn off overclocking) ask them to come back and play the same part.. ask them if they noticed any difference?

norseamd

Lifer
Dec 13, 2013
well my video is overclocked. and stable too. but that was need to run skyrim mods without stuttering. will eventually try and see how much more i can get out of it.

just read a really nice guide on overclocking the 8350 on a asus board. actually i did not overclock but tried to run it on stock setting with 1866 memory. the timing was still at 11. seems i had it at 4 with turbo core enabled and that may or may not have been the problem. also the voltages were stock. i can still run stock voltages but i need to do some settings on power and llc or something. i will just try going by the guide.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1348623/amd-bulldozer-and-piledriver-overclocking-guide-asus-motherboard

norseamd

Lifer
Dec 13, 2013
What exactly does that mean?

that when i save and exit out of the bios and it restarts the computer locks up and beeps constantly. a 1-2-2 beep. have to turn off the computer manually. when i turn it on again it gives the asus screen but will not load the bios when pressing delete key. then a screen appears with some company name. there is a trianle made up of red lines. forgot the company name right now. anyways it says overclock fails and says press f1 to enter bios. then you enter the bios and change the settings to work again.

norseamd

Lifer
Dec 13, 2013
so have it running with overclock. have to use dohc. the memory is running at 1866 with 9-11-9-27 timings. what it is supposed to be. the processor is running at 22 ratio with 200 basic clock rate. have run both small and large fft for 10 minutes. anything wrong if 2 cores run slightly behind the other cores? they catch up before the other cores make the next pass. what linx are you supposed to run? the linx.exe or lin xeon x64? do you have to extract or install any of these besides the occt?

Essence_of_War

Platinum Member
Feb 21, 2013
. what linx are you supposed to run? the linx.exe or lin xeon x64? do you have to extract or install any of these besides the occt?

I don't think you run either of those. If you extract IBT, in the top level there should be something like:

IntelBurnTestV2 [or V3 or whatever].exe

Run that. It should open up a window, and you'll see in a "Settings" box, something like "Mode: 64-bit" if you're using the right version.

Edit: Pardon my ignorance, but what is 'dohc'? And what sort of voltages and such did you set up? You're not giving a lot of information, so it's tough to try to help you troubleshoot.

KingFatty

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2010
Start small, take baby steps. Choose one component to overclock, and gradually increase bit by bit, testing each time, until you identify what is a good overclock for that part. Then move on to the next part. Another approach is to just take a big leap and see failure, then find out the half-way mark between that "overshoot" and your previous stable setting, like a binary search. So if 4.0 GHz is stable and 4.8 fails, you next try (halfway between 4.8 and 4.0) = 4.4. If 4.4 is stable but 4.8 failed, you next try 4.6. If 4.6 fails, then you try halfway between 4.6 and 4.4 = 4.5, and so on.

Also you'll notice some patterns of diminishing returns, where maybe you can get 4.5 stable with just a little bit more voltage, but in order to get 4.6 stable you need a big bump in voltage and fan speed to keep it stable. So you might compromise, and just run a slower speed because you can use lower voltage, and lower cooling, and just be more efficient.

norseamd

Lifer
Dec 13, 2013
Edit: Pardon my ignorance, but what is 'dohc'?

a asus uefi bios overclock setting. do a google search or read a asus manual online or something.

And what sort of voltages and such did you set up? You're not giving a lot of information, so it's tough to try to help you troubleshoot.

this is why i made a thread. what information do you want? the voltages are set on auto.

most of what i did are from this guide

http://www.overclock.net/t/1348623/amd-bulldozer-and-piledriver-overclocking-guide-asus-motherboard

8350 is at 4.4
memory is at 1866 9-11-9-27
video card is at 1175 and 1500

norseamd

Lifer
Dec 13, 2013
Start small, take baby steps. Choose one component to overclock, and gradually increase bit by bit, testing each time, until you identify what is a good overclock for that part. Then move on to the next part. Another approach is to just take a big leap and see failure, then find out the half-way mark between that "overshoot" and your previous stable setting, like a binary search. So if 4.0 GHz is stable and 4.8 fails, you next try (halfway between 4.8 and 4.0) = 4.4. If 4.4 is stable but 4.8 failed, you next try 4.6. If 4.6 fails, then you try halfway between 4.6 and 4.4 = 4.5, and so on. Also you'll notice some patterns of diminishing returns, where maybe you can get 4.5 stable with just a little bit more voltage, but in order to get 4.6 stable you need a big bump in voltage and fan speed to keep it stable. So you might compromise, and just run a slower speed because you can use lower voltage, and lower cooling, and just be more efficient.

4.4 seems fine for right now. should i keep my basic clock speed at 200. or should i set it at 100 so i can run .1 increases in ghz

KingFatty

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2010
4.4 seems fine for right now. should i keep my basic clock speed at 200. or should i set it at 100 so i can run .1 increases in ghz

Ah now you are getting into some detailed approaches. So, your overall speed depends on the base frequency and multiplier. You can change both.

Of course the easiest way is to keep one setting the same, and then adjust the other one until you find the highest adjustment for that one setting.

But a more detailed way is to adjust both. Again, use baby steps, and perhaps start with more common approaches that other people have found success in. But, ideally, you will find the highest overall speed based on a combination of base frequency and multiplier. So while you might find your system is good at 4.4 now, maybe if you change the multiplier and use a higher base frequency, you can achieve the same stability at 4.5?

Another thing, is if you leave voltages at auto, you may find yourself a bit limited, but perhaps leave the voltage adjustments for later, after you play around with the frequency/multiplier.

If you have a lot of time on your hands, you can build a spreadsheet where you keep track of the multiplier and base frequency. So maybe have multiplier 15, then try 200 mhz, then 220, then 240, etc. and track whether it's stable. Then, increase multiplier to 15.5, repeat for all the frequencies. Then keep trying different ranges.

This way, you might find that a higher base frequency, and slightly lower multiplier, could potentially result in higher overall speed that you can reach for a given voltage, compared to just leaving the base frequency at 200 and then seeing how high of a multiplier you can reach.

Then you can later add on the voltage adjustment, to make it even more complex and tedious.