Want to max out piledriver, need suggestions.

Adi_Nemesis

Jun 19, 2016
I want to take a 8370/e as far as it'll go on watercooling. I'm thinking Formula Z Crosshair V with the EK northbridge waterblock in a 480mm loop with the cpu. I want to hit 5+GHz stable, I know it's all silicon lottery but I want to do all I can to max it out.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
you'll be much better off asking for help here http://www.overclock.net/f/10/amd-cpus

Agreed, or the AMD forum on xtremesystems.org or . . . yeah.

I have been trying to register at ocn multiple times, it won't let me register an account :(

Really? What kind of errors do you get? I'm pretty sure they'd like to have you over there if you're serious about max OC on an 8370. On a forum like that, they won't ask you question like:

can I ask why? Seems like a big waste of money to me.

which is a fair question of sorts, but if someone really wants to do something knowing full well the ramifications of their actions, then questioning their actions is at best redundant and at worst a sneaky way of insinuating that it's just a bad idea.

I might also think it's a bad idea, but so what? You have your reasons.

Aaaanyway from what I've read, so long as you stick to a Crosshair V or a Sabretooth you should be okay. The AT forums CAN offer you some support for your watercooling needs over in the Cases & Cooling section. Get an idea of what total dissipation you're looking at from the CPU (I'd wager 300-350W just to be on the safe side, though in truth you can probably hit 5 GHz putting out less heat than that) and then get an idea of what delta you want from ambient, and the experts over there can set you up.

You shouldn't need to do anything too exotic to get your CPU up there other than crank up the multi and give it enough volts. You might gain some clockspeeds messing with the Digi+ VRM settings. Also you are going to want some tips when it comes to setting NB speeds and RAM speeds, and I'm afraid I can't properly address those points for Vishera, other than to say that you should not expect DDR3 speeds over maybe 2400?

Adi_Nemesis

Jun 19, 2016
Thank you for the replies, I left the admin at ocn a message so hopefully they'll get back to me.

I want to build her in a EVOLV ATX Tempered Glass, should look beautiful with watercooling and that motherboard. Once I get the components I will lay them out in the case and figure out the loop. Once the loop is ordered and built I'll get to tweaking settings and getting her to 5ghz+ stable.

Right now I'm working out what parts to order, for example I'm not sure if 8370 or 8370e will have a better chance at ocing higher.

Last edited:

Adi_Nemesis

Jun 19, 2016
Okay, I checked for virtualization compatibility and all recent amd cpus support it, so does the chipset. Only possible issue is the mobo bios needs to have ivrs tables implemented properly so I'll ask at the asus forums.
@slowspyder 5.3ghz *Drool* I hope I can hit those numbers.

Adi_Nemesis

Jun 19, 2016
I'm looking at the ga-990fx-gaming, Gigabyte as a nice track record on amd platforms. Anyone have any experience with this board?

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
That's kind of a semi-budget 990FX board with some new(er) features. I wouldn't trust it over the Formula V or Sabretooth, but that's just me. I think the UD7 is probably their best OC option for AM3+.