want to learn the piano, what kind of keyboard should i get??

Status
Not open for further replies.

AUMM

Diamond Member
Mar 13, 2001
I used to play quite a bit but stopped for years unfortunately, dont have the space for a full size piano. Looking to get a decent keyboard that will last me and give me somewhat a close feel for playing on an actual piano...

Any pianists on here? any recommendations? what kind of price range am I looking at.

Also, do you think I could pick it up again on my own or should I just suck it up and take some lessons?

thanks in advance!

paulney

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2003
If you played a real piano, don't go for an unweighted keyboard - you are going to hate it.
I have Yamaha Clavinova 240. It has the GH3 tech in it, and good sampling. I like it a lot. CLP 200 series have been now replaced with 300 series. Same stuff, but more electronic features, like direct connect to download a song (who uses it anyway?). If you find a 200 series in stock somewhere, you can get a very good deal on it, and have an awesome piano.

KillerCharlie

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2005
I took lessons for 8 years growing up and got pretty decent. When I graduated college I bought one for myself as a gift (since I don't have space for a real one). I put down about $2k for a Kawai MP8 (which doesn't include speakers). The weighted beginner models are in the $300 or so range.

Unfortunately I'm only familiar with the higher end and the lower end. You'll probably want something in between. The forums at pianoworld.com are pretty helpful. Obviously you'll want to get something with a weighted action. Try it out in person first if at all possible.

As far as lessons, I thought I was trained pretty well and I can learn rather difficult pieces okay, but I've been thinking about lessons... I think you can always benefit from them. At worst you can just try them for a couple months and drop them if it doesn't work out.

Status
Not open for further replies.