Want to know the graphic card limit for my Motherboard.

dnfakrnl

Jul 10, 2012
asus p5k-e mobo
intel core 2 duo cpu e6550 @2.33ghz (2 cpus), ~2.3ghz
nvidia geforce 8800 gt
memory 4096 RAM
32-bit home premium windows 7

I've been playing diablo3 lately and I've been getting computer freeze/lock-up issues. Therefore I downloaded MSI afterburner to check if temperature of my cpu and gpu, there I noticed my gpu is overheating up to 95-105. I'm assuming if I change the graphic card it will clean the issue.

I tried many things and it did temporarily fixed the problem but the problem is back.

So far, I've tried blowing off dusts on gpu fan and cpu fan, took the graphic card out and wiped dusts off and increased fan speed to 100%(MSI afterburner)

So I've been considering getting a new graphic card that is compatible to my mobo and also wanted to know how good of graphic card I can get off of this Motherboard.

How good of graphic card I get? I would set my budget at lower than $100.
Can any of professionals here suggest model name of graphic card I should consider buying? Or possible tips or know-how for under-heating gpu?

Thank you for your time guys!

Feb 25, 2011
Your motherboard will support most anything.

If you blew out all the dust and so on, and the GPU is still overheating, it could still be a bum fan on the card. If you have spare parts handy, or are willing to gamble a few bucks, you could replace the HSF. The 8800GT only has about a 100w TDP, so an average-performing aftermarket GPU cooler will be fine.

Something like this.

That said, it would suck if you spent a good chunk of your budget on fans and crap, only to find the card was on the outs anyway. A Radeon 7750 is pretty low-powered and cool-running. (Depending on the cooler design.) Costs about $100, and will outperform the 8800GT a bit too.

Something like this.

Last edited:

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Welcome to the forum :)

Best in that price range looks to be the 7750 as stated above.

Keeper

Mar 9, 2005
What about in the $250 range? Man, I thought video was confusing 3 years ago......
Today..... Its HORRID.

I am running the following:
Win 7
120 SSD (Cotains my O/S and legacy programs)
1 TB SATA HD
LGA 775 3.2 Gh dual core
Samsunng optical.
4 GB DDR 2 Mem.
8800 GT.

PS I prefer Nvidea chipsets.

I want something SWEET for DX 11 and will free up that dual core to run Diablo and Witcher 2 and Borderlands II ( to come) and will get me a few more years on this rig.

Thanks in advance.