Want to get back to INTEL ; need rock-stable setup !

FrankFreedom

Nov 5, 2002
Hi everyone,

a couple of years ago I was running a P3-550mhz overclocked to 733Mhz and it was one of the best setups I ever had.

It was rock-stable, never ever crashed, did not run hot, I really liked it.

I would like to get back into the intel world (am running an AMD 1Ghz setup) and I need advice on which setup to buy. My criterias are:

1) Overclocks really well with *OEM* fan
2) Is stable, stable, stable
3) Overclocked speed to be in the range of 2.2Ghz / 2.5Ghz

Main use is 3d gaming, web surfing. I have an ok vidcard (Ti4200) and the rest of my system is fairly up-to-date (good power supply, etc...)

Please advise on a RAM/MOBO/CPU setup that is really working well for most people. Would prefer Asus mobos. This combo is to be used until the release of DOOM3 when I will obviously spend $9,000 on the latest and greatest gear. ..hehe

Thanks !

Frank

BowlingNut

Aug 18, 2002
after a private screening of a leaked alpha version (.02 to be exact) of D3, you will definently need the latest and greatest. my friend couldnt even run it at 1024x768 with low details (gf3ti500, axp 2000). crazy game though, although its way too gross in my opinion - one of those things you have to see to believe.

FrankFreedom

Nov 5, 2002
What I meant to say is "until Doom3" is actually finished and available.

I just wanted to establish a time frame for the setup's usage.

Frank

halkebul

Aug 26, 2002
Albatron PX845PEV PRO motherboard $93 at newEgg.com
Corsair XMS 512MB DDR400 Memory $196 at newegg
Intel Pentium4 1.8A Processor $140 at newEgg
Gigabyte 9700 PRO graphics card $349 at newEgg

You will be able to get 2.4GHz to 2.9GHz with the P4 1.8A. Can overclock the memory to DDR420+. Great overclocking motherboard.

FrankFreedom

Nov 5, 2002
Halkebul,

is this with stock cooling ??? Impressive O/C results

I really do not wish to get into something noisier than what I currently run

Thanks

Frank

halkebul

Aug 26, 2002
Originally posted by: BowlingNut
after a private screening of a leaked alpha version (.02 to be exact) of D3, you will definently need the latest and greatest. my friend couldnt even run it at 1024x768 with low details (gf3ti500, axp 2000). crazy game though, although its way too gross in my opinion - one of those things you have to see to believe.
I know some people with ATI 9700 Pro and 2.4Ghz p4s who couldn't get the game to run smoothly. That is, you can't really judge what hardware you need by that alpha as it is minimally optimized at this point. Glad ya mentioned this alpha though as not too many people know it exists.
:D

halkebul

Aug 26, 2002
Originally posted by: FrankFreedom
Halkebul,

is this with stock cooling ??? Impressive O/C results

I really do not wish to get into something noisier than what I currently run

Thanks

Frank

Yes, this is with stock cooling. The retial cooling is very good. I commend Intel in this regard.

ctk1981

Golden Member
Aug 17, 2001
Yes, the above mentioned setups are generally done with stock cooling. I have two 1.8A's. One made it to 2.61Ghz but I used a MCX4000 hsf, the other made it to 2.34Ghz...still working on that one (using stock HSF, and no I dont blame that for the smaller OC). It should be doing much much better.

BlvdKing

Golden Member
Jun 7, 2000
I hear the ABIT IT7 is an excellent overclocking board. Also, Granite Bay should be out this month so I would wait a couple weeks and see how those boards perform. The Granite Bay offers more bandwidth with two PC2100 DIMMS (4.2 GB/s in theory) than a board today running PC3200. It's worth the wait IMO.

Necrolezbeast

Apr 11, 2002
I thought I read a post somewhere where Carmack said that the leaked alpha is only supposed to be able to go to 640x480 with medium details...he said there was problems with any other settings, could this be the problems? I'm still attempting to download it so I have nothing to test on, damn 56k taking forever...

MaroX

Nov 4, 2002
I actually saw the demo of the D3a at QuakeCon here in dallas. It was great. And it wasnt running on any great hardware either, it was a Radeon 9700 and a Athlon 1.8, or so. Running very smoothly, he didnt say what res, but I guess that 640X480 because of the high frame rate.