want to get a puppy/dog

Omegachi

Diamond Member
Mar 27, 2001
i want to get a small puppy/dog and i am not sure what type of dog i want to get. I don't like hairy hairy dogs and nothing big. so... what type of dog should i get. it would be nice to include a pic of the specie. :)

btw, is it expensive to have a dog?

Zysoclaplem

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2003
Well if you live in an apartment, there will more than likely be a pet deposit.
Most anything purebred will be expensive to buy.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: Zysoclaplem
Well if you live in an apartment, there will more than likely be a pet deposit.
Most anything purebred will be expensive to buy.
Yep, and having paid pet deposits myself (they are not deposits, because you get no money back), let me highly recommend against paying it. I regret paying mine.

LeadMagnet

Platinum Member
Mar 26, 2003
you also don't want a hyper little dog that needs lots of running, like all terriers and sporting dogs. Working breeds are out due to thier size. Try a toy breed instead. Maybe a Pug?

Jzero

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Do the dog a favor and get a cat instead. Get a dog when you have more space.

Malladine

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2003
Originally posted by: Omegachi
i want to get a small puppy/dog and i am not sure what type of dog i want to get. I don't like hairy hairy dogs and nothing big. so... what type of dog should i get. it would be nice to include a pic of the specie. :)

btw, is it expensive to have a dog?
get a pug, they are the most loving and funniest little dogs i've ever seen. Ours is 2.5yrs old

LeadMagnet

Platinum Member
Mar 26, 2003
I always hated cats, then I got married and started a job where I travel , the wife wanted a pet to keep her company. The apartment only allowed cats. So we got a cat from the shelter - and this cat has such an awesome personality, that all our petless friends went out and adopted cats too.

Best descision we ever made was adopting a cat.

Now we have 2 cats (to keep each other company) and when we bought a house we got a dog.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
how much are you willing to spend to buy it first ?

Annually for food and healthcare (shots, etc.) it's < $300.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
We just got ours yesterday (I'll post a thread when I get home and have pics) from the humane society. Not so much a puppy, they estimate he's 1.5 years old, labrador retreiver mix (maybe mastiff), just shy of a hundred pounds. He seems like a great dog so far.
I don't like little dogs.

Coquito

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2003
I have the 3rd biggest chihuahua in the northeastern United States @15lbs; all muscle. Trust me, it has a bark, & an even bigger heart for its size. It lifts itself completely off the ground every time it starts at it. :)

Yax

Platinum Member
Feb 11, 2003
Originally posted by: Hi
Originally posted by: shuan24
i think chihuahuas make good apt dogs. not much hair, not much bark.

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/chihuahua.htm

chihuahuas bark so much its not funny

Not true. I have two of them. They bark alot if they are not exposed to people when they're pups. The barking is only because they're scared out of their wits and want their owner's protection by trying to get attention to their situation.

imported_Hi

Platinum Member
Feb 22, 2005
Originally posted by: Yax
Originally posted by: Hi
Originally posted by: shuan24
i think chihuahuas make good apt dogs. not much hair, not much bark.

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/chihuahua.htm

chihuahuas bark so much its not funny

Not true. I have two of them. They bark alot if they are not exposed to people when they're pups. The barking is only because they're scared out of their wits and want their owner's protection by trying to get attention to their situation.

nevermind then mine is still a puppy :eek: