Want to do HIIT, any suggestions?

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
the road in my neighborhood is basically a 1 mile long oval. i'll ride my bike, figure a lap or two warm up, couple of laps HIIT, then a couple of laps cool down would be good. any input?

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: amdfanboy
HITT?

high intensity interval training. basically, you do a bit at warm up speed, then you sprint for a time, then you do warm up, then sprint, then again and again. so, say, break it down into minutes, first 1/3 or half you sprint, the second part of the minute you jog.

what i've heard is that you do some warm up, then do like 10-15 minutes of hiit, then do your cool down, and it burns tons of calories because it keeps your metabolism up throughout the day, better than doing a constant aerobic excercise.

Entity

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
HIIT biking -- I'd ask Fausto for the best advice on that, I'm sure he'd know a bit about it. You could try posting @ my forums.

I do HIIT on the stairmaster -- usually can last 20 minutes or so. It's pure hell. :D

Rob

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: Entity
HIIT biking -- I'd ask Fausto for the best advice on that, I'm sure he'd know a bit about it. You could try posting @ my forums.

I do HIIT on the stairmaster -- usually can last 20 minutes or so. It's pure hell. :D

Rob

i tried it today, could barely walk when i got off the bike... burn felt a lot more than my regular 7.5 miles

want to make sure i have the times right

Martin

Lifer
Jan 15, 2000
I use my elliptical trainer to do something like HIIT (not sure if I am doing it right). I do 1-1.5m low resistance, then 3.5-4min high. I used to do 1000 cals in 45 mins, now I do it in 30 (of coruse, doesn't mean I actually burn that much, just using it to compare the relative amount of work the machine counts).

But I dunno. Is resistance alone enough? I am thining of doing 30s on high speed and 30 on low speed, in addition to the resistance, but that might prove a bit too tough.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: MartyTheManiak
I use my elliptical trainer to do something like HIIT (not sure if I am doing it right). I do 1-1.5m low resistance, then 3.5-4min high. I used to do 1000 cals in 45 mins, now I do it in 30 (of coruse, doesn't mean I actually burn that much, just using it to compare the relative amount of work the machine counts).

But I dunno. Is resistance alone enough? I am thining of doing 30s on high speed and 30 on low speed, in addition to the resistance, but that might prove a bit too tough.

if you're doing 4 minutes on the higher resistance that might not be HIIT, but i don't know enough about it to say for sure. i thought HIIT involved switching for short intervals, and just doing multiple reps. makes sense because you can't sprint very long.