Want to be able to mount my Garmin Nuvi 350 on my motorcycle

lokiju

Lifer
May 29, 2003
I wanna be able to mount my Garmin nuvi 350 on my motorcycle and also water proof it in case I get caught in the rain.

I was at Frys and checking out some Pelican clear cases that might fit it but I can't open the antenna with anything like that so it's not really an option.

Any suggestions or ideas?

I might just make something with parts from Home Depot if there isn't anything out there but if there is a product that will do all that and isn't too expensive, I'd buy it.

And I realize Garmin makes a line specifically for motorcycles but they're crazy expensive and I already have a 350.

KK

Lifer
Jan 2, 2001
The only thing that comes to mind is to keep a ziplock bag handy.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Originally posted by: ultimatebob
Originally posted by: Captante
How about this?

Doesn't look weatherproof... although you probably don't want to be riding a motorcycle in a driving rainstorm anyway.

I'd think it would have to at least be weather-resistant ... the guy who sells them has a contact link, why don't you e-mail him & ask?

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
Originally posted by: lokiju
Damn this is so close but doesn't look like they have one for the nuvi.

http://www.ram-mount.com/aqua_box_mount/aqua_box_mount.htm

Just get one that's bigger than you need, and use some foam or rubber to take up the extra space.

Me, I'm in the middle of machining myself a waterproof GPS case for my motorcycle out of aluminum and plexiglass, but that's more work than most people are willing to do, and requires a machine shop to boot.

Synomenon

Lifer
Dec 25, 2004
I think RAM Mounts makes motorcycle mounts. Not sure about weather proofing though. Maybe Saran Wrap?

lokiju

Lifer
May 29, 2003
Originally posted by: Captante
How about this?

I did see this before and was thinking about maybe getting it and making some plexiglass housing to go around it.

I don't have tools to machine metal so it'd have to be something more simple like plexiglass.

Manuwell

Jan 19, 2006
I've never put my fat ass on a motorbike, but is it possible or even safe to look at such a device and keeping an eye (or even two ? aren't motorbikes supposed to be much more exposed to danger than other vehicles ?) on teh road simultaneously ?

lokiju

Lifer
May 29, 2003
Originally posted by: Manuwell
I've never put my fat ass on a motorbike, but is it possible or even safe to look at such a device and keeping an eye (or even two ? aren't motorbikes supposed to be much more exposed to danger than other vehicles ?) on teh road simultaneously ?

I wouldn't be sitting there reading the thing while I was in motion, I don't even do that when it's in my car. I just want it to be readily accessible to me when I come to a stop to see where I'm at or where I need to go.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: Manuwell

It's not difficult to ride a motorcycle and glance down at a nav unit. I can think of many situations in which it would be very useful, especially if you could get an ear piece so that you could hear the audible aids.

Edit-I have no idea how you'd make one weather proof though. I know you can get motorcycle specific nav units but they're expensive.