Want some monitor buying input please

raildogg

Lifer
Aug 24, 2004
Hey everyone, I'm currently using a 23" monitor that I really like. Very nice colors and handles every situation well. I would possibly like to upgrade though to maybe a 27" or a 30" screen. There seems to be a lot of choices out there and since I don't really follow the industry too closely, I would be thankful if some information can be shared here.

I've looked at some of the 27" monitors, such as the Shimians and other Korean monitors. Most of them are glossy so I will pass on that. I was looking at the Auria from Microcenter but that too is glossy.

I'm also interested in the 30" size as well but that size seems scary, hah. It would seem if one is sitting about 20"-30" away, one could get lost in the huge real estate. This is theory of course since I've not experienced such a monitor up close. I would still consider this size however.

My requirements are a matte screen, price between $350-$500 and good colors. I surf, read, watch movies, sometimes game.

Thank you.

yvesj

Dec 28, 2011
why dont you buy a hdtv like i did .
a sony bravia 32 .
am about 30 inc away and it is perfect .
and you will pay less .mine cust me 328.99 at walmart .

akugami

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2005
If $500 is your upper limit, then don't bother with the 30" monitors.

With that said, what resolutions are you looking for? If 27" 2560x1440 then the Korean imports are practically the only way to go if you want something economically priced. I wouldn't bother with a 27" 1080p monitor. I'd rather get a nice 24" 1920x1200 monitor than a 27" 1080p monitor.

If you require a monitor with a matte finish then you'll have to do a little searching. Glossy seems to be standard with the Korean imports but there are some some models with a matte anti-glare coating rather than glossy. The X-STAR DP2710 is one. The QNIX QX2710 Evolution ll Matte is another. I'm sure there's more but that's all I found with a quick search.

If you step up the price a little, the Dell U2713HM for about $600 on sale. Standard price is about $650-700'ish. Depending on where you buy you might be charged tax and shipping.

For gaming, look for models with DVI-D as the only input source. The ones with HDMI have higher Input Lag.