Want a good laugh? PC Gamers Top 100 of all time list

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999
Guys, I bet if each person here came up with their top 100 list, 90% of the rest of you would have the same reaction and call each other's crap.

Interesting. You start.

\edit: better yet - how about an AT top 100 list?

To start: Doom - in the top ten...

Last edited:

ScoobMaster

Platinum Member
Jan 17, 2001
A better and more appropriate title for this list would be "Top 100 PC games of the last 10 years".

"Of ALL TIME" implies that "PC" means personal computers of ALL TIME - and that is more than just the latest batch of x86 family machines. I will date myself, but back in the day there were some AWESOME games on the Commodore 64, Atari 400/800, and Apple II platforms. Sure, technology has progressed and graphics capabilities have blown away machines of the past, but just eye candy alone does not make a great game. I actually lament the fact that so many "modern" games are really just tweaked variations of the 1st person shooter.

I remember games like M.U.L.E. (which if any top 100 of "all time" does not include somewhere it invalidates the list) , The EPYX Summer and Winter games series, Raid on Bungeling Bay, original Castle Wolfenstein, Wizardy (the first great dungeon crawl on IBM PCs) or ANY of the Infocom text adventures. Those were great not because of superb graphic eye candy. There were some great writing, game design, and mechanics in those innovative games.

JonathanYoung

Aug 15, 2003
I still play Wing Commander every few years, as well as 4D Sports Boxing. Also surprised that there's no MechWarrior entry in the list.

Geosurface

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2012
My personal (and highly flawed) Top 20:

01.) Thief: The Dark Project
02.) System Shock 2
03.) Ultima Online (first couple of years)
04.) Deus Ex
05.) Quake 1
06.) Fallout 1
07.) Doom 2
08.) King's Quest V
09.) StarCraft
10.) WarCraft III
11.) Diablo 1
12.) MechWarrior 2
13.) Red Alert 1
14.) Half-Life 1
15.) Unreal 1
16.) Skyrim
17.) Half-Life 2
18.) Counter-Strike
19.) World of WarCraft
20.) Scorched Earth

As I said, very flawed... the order is all screwed up, and there's a ton of stuff I would have included if I didn't do this over the course of 3 minutes.

slayernine

Jul 23, 2007
slayernine.com
My initial thought is that just because a game is popular does not qualify it for a list of the best games ever made.

Skyrim is awesome and really popular but I think Morrowind was the best of the series because it was more of a fresh concept.

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
The only one of those 20 I'd pick would be HL2 :D

Then again I probably couldn't even pick twenty myself.

akugami

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2005
I think when people do a top 10 list of games, you have to quantify it. When you say "top game" what do you mean? Do you mean best games in terms of presentation and gameplay? Or do you mean most influential and innovative?

So for example, if we're doing gameplay and presentation, DOOM simply can't be anywhere close to the top 10. Its gameplay is laughably outdated at this point. However, if we go by influence and innovation, DOOM basically helped spawn/popularize the whole FPS genre and certainly deserves top billing.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
All my top 10 lists would probably be described as the top 10 games I remember playing the crap out of because I thought they were amazing.

Just games I remember fondly and enjoyed the hell out of. Really though there are so many fantastic games I have played that I could never put them in a list and pick favorites out.

obidamnkenobi

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2010
I think when people do a top 10 list of games, you have to quantify it. When you say "top game" what do you mean? Do you mean best games in terms of presentation and gameplay? Or do you mean most influential and innovative?

So for example, if we're doing gameplay and presentation, DOOM simply can't be anywhere close to the top 10. Its gameplay is laughably outdated at this point. However, if we go by influence and innovation, DOOM basically helped spawn/popularize the whole FPS genre and certainly deserves top billing.

That's the point people miss. I believe PC gamer explain that the list is top 100 games to play now. So Pong might be influential, but there are better things to do today..

People miss this every single time the do one of these. I still don't quite agree with the list, but it makes a bit more sense.
E.g. as a kid I played the crap out of civilization 1, but now I'd rather just play Civ 4 (not 5 though)

Last edited: