Want a good laugh? PC Gamers Top 100 of all time list

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

wsaenotsock

Jul 20, 2010
An all-time list is hard to make, so I am not critical of the order in which these games are ranked. No one is going to agree on that...

However what really concerns me is what games are on/off this list, namely:

Total Annihilation isn't even there, a game that was about 10 years ahead of it's time. It had full 3d modeled units, primitive explosion physics, terrain modeling that affected weapon trajectory, very sophisticated unit commands.

What the hell?

Also, Quake 2.

This game was so popular that magazines got bored waiting for a successor.
8006055.jpg

The game that finally succeeded it was Half-Life. It took an entire year for this to happen at a time that PC gaming was rapidly taking off.

Again, what the hell.

Last edited:

Red Hawk

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2011
On another note, lol at those "Quake II killers" on the cover?

Duke Nukem Forever? Oh, those innocent days before DNF was vaporware.

Daikatana? In John Romero's dreams of making you his bitch.

Klingon Honor Guard? I don't even...I'm a Star Trek fan and a Star Trek video game fan, and I haven't even heard of that game.

Sulaco

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2003
The real Quake 2 killer, without a doubt, was Unreal.

BOTH Unreal and Unreal Tournament, another one of the most influential games of all-time, aren't anywhere on the list (save UT2004).

Last edited:

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
OK, as (the only here?) PC Gamer subscriber, I now have the issue.

To clear a couple thigs up quickly, this was not some guy who wrote the list and it's a small note in the issue. This is the only story on the cover.

The magazine is behind it, and the list was created by a group of 20 staff.

Each game on the list has commentary about it. Skyrim got a two page spread as #1.

It says the list is supposed to be 'the 100 most fun games to play today', old and new.

The article is several pages, but I might be able to post a few things from it.

I said before, if I was going to play a Diablo game today, it would be 3. I played D2 for years and loved it, but it's hard to play now. So there can be some point to that.

They praised things about 3 including one feature I suggested a decade ago for D2, to just let people move skill points around, not have to start over to try a different build.

thejunglegod

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2012
There's Super Meat Boy and World of Goo but no Braid? I'm sure this list was generated by a 12 year old who just got back from watching the teaser trailer for Skyrim.

styrafoam

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2002
Honor Guard was alright. I think it was the first licensed game to use the unreal engine so the graphics were really good for the time. If you were a star trek fan it was cool using all of the weapons.

This list. Ugggggg. Unexplainable really, do these people at PCgamer even have computers?

Ancalagon44

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2010
They should have just listed all of the Call of Duties, Halos and Battlefields in reverse order of release date. It would have been funnier than this half hearted attempt.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
If anyone wants to ask what they about a game or two ask and I'll try to reply to at least some of them.

I went to DayZ, and there's no mention of the name change, or the controversies with players - the only negative is 'difficult install'.

Instead they just relate positive experiences playing it to justify its position on the list.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Some of the commentary is just not good. Alpha Centauri is #38.

They said, 'what's the worst crime, maybe genocide - #2 worst crime is that there hasn't a sequel to that game'.

Just sorty of hyperbolic blather, in that comment.

Seba

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2000
Not that I necessarily agree with that top 100 games list, but I think that if someone would post here his top 10 or top 100 games list, that list would be quickly torn apart as a list of some of the worst games ever. :)

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Not that I necessarily agree with that top 100 games list, but I think that if someone would post here his top 10 or top 100 games list, that list would be quickly torn apart as a list of some of the worst games ever. :)

No, but it would be attacked, as I said people have different opinions.

Ancalagon44

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2010
Different people have different opinions, but if your opinion is that Diablo 3 belongs in the top 100 and Diablo 1 and 2 do not, then your opinion is wrong. Fact.

thejunglegod

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2012
I think the list should be retitled "top 100 most hyped games pre release". That way I'm sure Skyrim and Diablo 3 justify themselves.

ShadowOfMyself

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2006
It says the list is supposed to be 'the 100 most fun games to play today', old and new.

Yeah I thought so, very apparent from looking at the list that was what they were going for
Everyone in this thread is judging the games by the impact they had when they were released which is not the point of the list at all

I remember quite a while ago (maybe a decade, I have no idea) some site had this public "tournament" to decide the greatest game of all time, where games got put against each other in bracket/elimination style competition, with the votes being done by users of course
Was it Gamespy? Damn, I cant remember, grrr
Im pretty sure the final came down to Half Life vs Diablo 2, and Half Life won

I would love to see something like that done every couple years to include newer games...
Its easy to say the top 10 here is a joke, but what do people think should be there instead?
Well, I know for sure Skyrim wouldnt be #1 since if you were to pick an Elder Scrolls game it would have to be Morrowind, but other than that... Could you ever possibly claim any game to be THE greatest of all time? Its impossible, there are way too many genres across too much of a timespan

If I REALLY had to pick one, Id probably go with Doom, (you could go with Wolfenstein 3D but I think Doom was the real deal) simply because it single handedly spawned what is now the most popular genre of PC gaming
It was Doom that got me into gaming anyway, as must have been the case for millions of people in the 90s

Last edited:

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Yeah I thought so, very apparent from looking at the list that was what they were going for
Everyone in this thread is judging the games by the impact they had when they were released which is not the point of the list at all

I remember quite a while ago (maybe a decade, I have no idea) some site had this public "tournament" to decide the greatest game of all time, where games got put against each other in bracket/elimination style competition, with the votes being done by users of course
Was it Gamespy? Damn, I cant remember, grrr
Im pretty sure the final came down to Half Life vs Diablo 2, and Half Life won

I would love to see something like that done every couple years to include newer games...
Its easy to say the top 10 here is a joke, but what do people think should be there instead?
Well, I know for sure Skyrim wouldnt be #1 since if you were to pick an Elder Scrolls game it would have to be Morrowind, but other than that... Could you ever possibly claim any game to be THE greatest of all time? Its impossible, there are way too many genres across too much of a timespan

If I REALLY had to pick one, Id probably go with Doom, (you could go with Wolfenstein 3D but I think Doom was the real deal) simply because it single handedly spawned what is now the most popular genre of PC gaming
It was Doom that got me into gaming anyway, as must have been the case for millions of people in the 90s

There are some breakthroughs in gaming. Doom/Wolfenstein were one - the first person game. (Credit Ultima Underworld as well).

But I'm feeling there's a difference between 'groundbreaking' and 'the best'.

Some of the groundbreaking games still hold up. Text adventures (Collosal Cave, Zork); whatever we call the Myst genre. Had a third example, I forgot. (Screw Rick Perry).

Some don't. Doom could be worse, but Wolfenstein doesn't. RTS; Dune II, C&C 1, Warcraft 1, don't. MMO's, Meridian 59 doesn't. Flight Sims - nuff said. Racing - nuff said. Most don't.

It's fun to look at the evolution of something like, say, tank games. Earliest might have been 'tank wars' on the Atari 2600. Unplayable today. That shifted to better and better, finally to today's World of Tanks, which has excellent quality in many/most areas (the gameplay is still very simple in an MMO random match setup to grind). But it's remarkable how similar two pixel tanks on Atari hiding behind a wall to peek and shoot is to the tank in World of Tanks hiding behind a wall to peek and shoot.

On games that got people into gaming - a couple other examples are Myst and World of Warcraft. Even sites like Bif Fish games do some of that, casual games.

The sames numbers for games like hunting games arer huge and IMO embarrassing.How many copies of Tetris or Bedazzled have sold?

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Far cry 2 but not the first one? Diablo 3 but no diablo 2? Quake and quake 3 but no unreal and ut (I understand ut2k4). No crysis? Hmm...suspect

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
OK, as (the only here?) PC Gamer subscriber, I now have the issue.

To clear a couple thigs up quickly, this was not some guy who wrote the list and it's a small note in the issue. This is the only story on the cover.

The magazine is behind it, and the list was created by a group of 20 staff.

Each game on the list has commentary about it. Skyrim got a two page spread as #1.

The article is several pages, but I might be able to post a few things from it.

I said before, if I was going to play a Diablo game today, it would be 3. I played D2 for years and loved it, but it's hard to play now. So there can be some point to that.

They praised things about 3 including one feature I suggested a decade ago for D2, to just let people move skill points around, not have to start over to try a different build.

This changes a lot, and makes the OP pretty misleading

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
This changes a lot, and makes the OP pretty misleading

Shocking, that never happens!

I went to DayZ, and there's no mention of the name change, or the controversies with players - the only negative is 'difficult install'.

And that would be because you're confusing DayZ with "WarZ" which is now known as Infestation somethingsomething.

wanderer27

Platinum Member
Aug 6, 2005
So World of Goo is the best game of all time? :D

Makes as much sense as some others on this list :p

Even as "Most fun to play", this list is a jumbled mess.

Almost looks to me as if they ran a flaky AI program to select the whole mess.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Makes as much sense as some others on this list :p

Even as "Most fun to play", this list is a jumbled mess.

Almost looks to me as if they ran a flaky AI program to select the whole mess.

Well, as I said, a committee of 20 judged the entries.

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
Guys, I bet if each person here came up with their top 100 list, 90% of the rest of you would have the same reaction and call each other's crap.