Want a good laugh? PC Gamers Top 100 of all time list

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
People are receiving the newest PC Gamer in the mail and this is the list.

1. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
2. Mass Effect 2
3. Half-Life 2
4. Team Fortress 2
5. Deus Ex
6. XCOM: Enemy Unknown
7. Bioshock
8. Mincraft
9. Left 4 Dead 2
10. Starcraft II
11. Deus Ex: Human Revolution
12. EVE Online
13. ARMA 2
14. Portal
15. World of Warcraft
16. Bioshock Infinite
17. Hitman: Blood Money
18. FTL
19. Company of Heroes
20. Civilization V
21. DOTA 2
22. Planescape: Torment
23. Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance
24. Dragon Age: Origins
25. Age of Empires
26. SimCity 4
27. Baldur's Gate 2
28. Grim Fandango
29. Battlefield 3
30. The Witcher 2
31. Rome: Total War
32. Day of the Tentacle
33. Spelunky
34. League of Legends
35. Planetside 2
36. Dungeon Keeper
37. Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
38. Alpha Centauri
39. System Shock 2
40. Dishonored
41. Total War: Shogun
42. Return to Castle Wolfenstein
43. Doom
44. Quake III
45. DayZ
46. Dark Souls
47. The Witcher
48. Portal 2
49. FIFA 13
50. Flight Sim X
51. Crusader Kings 2
52. Tomb Raider
53. Theme Hospital
54. Far Cry 2
55. Beyond Good & Evil
56. The Sims 3
57. Rollercoaster Tycoon
58. Red Alert
59. Unreal Tournament 2004
60. No One Live Forever 2
61. Half-Life
62. F.E.A.R.
63. Fallout 3
64. Dwarf Fortress
65. Batman: Arkham Asylum
66. Rising Storm
67. The Secret of Monkey Island
68. Freespace 2
69. Empire: Total War
70. Tribes: Ascend
71. STALKER: Call of Pripyat
72. Quake
73. The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
74. Max Payne 2
75. Galactic Civilizations II
76. Full Throttle
77. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare
78. Combat Mission: Beyond Overlord
79. Borderlands 2
80. Torchlight
81. Starcraft: Brood War
82. The Walking Dead: Season 1
83. Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion
84. Super Meat Boy
85. Peggle
86. Mount & Blade
87. Masq
88. Assassin's Creed II
89. Vampire: The Masquerade--Bloodlines
90. Ultima VII
91. Tribes 2
92. Thirty Flights of Loving
93. The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
94. Plants vs. Zombies
95. Hotline Miami
96. Diablo III
97. OMSI
98. Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth
99. Battle of Britain 2
100. World of Goo

thats-gold-jerry.png

Sheep

Golden Member
Jun 13, 2006
I'm not one to call someone's opinions wrong but that list is so ridiculously wrong they have to be trolling their readers. It's like they think PC gaming started in 2004.

JeffMD

Platinum Member
Feb 15, 2002
hitman in the top 20? eve, who is only geared to be liked by a small portion of game players? Its really just proof you can't make one be all and end all list.. you need to divide into genres at the least.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Wow . . . is list built from readers voting or from their staff?

Civilization 5 on the list, but the superior in every way IV is not? Civ5 should be a list of games that suck their penises into the players eyeball. Empire Total War on the list, but superior in every way Medieval 2 is not? Diablo 3 has no business being on that list.

Fallout 3 and Oblivion, while decent games, have no business being on a Top 100 of all Time list either. Skyrim is an amazing game, but the #1 game of all time? Bologna.

1. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
2. Mass Effect 2
3. Half-Life 2
4. Team Fortress 2
5. Deus Ex
6. XCOM: Enemy Unknown
7. Bioshock
8. Mincraft
9. Left 4 Dead 2
10. Starcraft II
11. Deus Ex: Human Revolution
12. EVE Online
13. ARMA 2
14. Portal
15. World of Warcraft
16. Bioshock Infinite
17. Hitman: Blood Money
18. FTL
19. Company of Heroes
20. Civilization V

In the Top 20, the only titles that have any right to be on there are Mass Effect 2, Half Life 2, and Dues Ex.

Last edited:

JeffMD

Platinum Member
Feb 15, 2002
Yea wasn't really going to touch that.. skyrim is way cool to look at and all.. love the atmosphere and sound, but it really doesn't compare gameplay and fight style wise to the like of guild wars 2 or witcher 2. I never liked an elder scrolls games combat system.

Barfo

Lifer
Jan 4, 2005
I thought your thread title was hyperbolic until I read the first spot on the list, literally lolled :p

abj13

Golden Member
Jan 27, 2005
lol, at least they acknowledged Lucasarts with Full Throttle but then go onto to forget about games like Tie Fighter. Fail.

dud

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
Put 100 teams of 100 people in 100 separate rooms and ask them to come up with "their" list of top 100 PC games ... and you will get 100 different lists. It's their opinion ...

I am personally indifferent to what PC Gamer Magazine thinks are the top 100 games of all time as my favorite (a former PC game of the year!) did not make their list. Perhaps they are looking to be 'thought provoking'.

I doubt it ...

Red Hawk

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2011
In the Top 20, the only titles that have any right to be on there are Mass Effect 2, Half Life 2, and Dues Ex.

Now now, an argument can be made for Minecraft and Portal to be in the top 20. And World of Warcraft is so ubiquitous that I doubt many other games deserve to be in the top 20 more.

What I'm wondering is how the hell Plants vs. Zombies and FIFA 13 made the list but they neglected to include Knights of the Old Republic. And what in the world is DayZ doing on the list? It's not even a full game, it's an ARMA II mod. But oh well. Long, uncategorized lists like this are pointless.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
WTF, ridiculous list. Was this a special edition of the magazine brought to you by Console Gamers?

KT

Tattoedsailor

Mar 22, 2013
Wow . . . is list built from readers voting or from their staff?

Civilization 5 on the list, but the superior in every way IV is not? Civ5 should be a list of games that suck their penises into the players eyeball. Empire Total War on the list, but superior in every way Medieval 2 is not? Diablo 3 has no business being on that list.

Fallout 3 and Oblivion, while decent games, have no business being on a Top 100 of all Time list either. Skyrim is an amazing game, but the #1 game of all time? Bologna.

I completely agree! I'm shocked that Fallout 1 or 2 weren't on list.. What about Planescape? Another great RPG.

Blitzvogel

Platinum Member
Oct 17, 2010
I think the whole point of having a "Top 100 List" is to stir up controversy in order to sell copies of the magazine and subscriptions. It's like Rolling Stone, based not only on review opinion, but I'm sure social/cultural ramifications too. Even still, it's indeed a very post 2005 heavy list which is quite annoying. I'd rather see a general "100 Games You Must Play" list instead of ranked garbage. Any of us could come up with one and while sure it would have some very common titles that so many of us love and play, there would also be plenty of games no one would never consider or remember.

And even still, there are plenty of games worth playing not only for fun factor, but there is a "historical technology factor" about many games too. Jurassic Park: Trespasser for one is a horribly executed game, but holy damn it was ahead of it's time and anyone who really is fascinated by gaming technology and it's progression owes it to themselves to play it or watch gameplay videos of it.

Last edited:

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
I think the whole point of having a "Top 100 List" is to stir up controversy in order to sell copies of the magazine and subscriptions. It's like Rolling Stone, based not only on review opinion, but I'm sure social/cultural ramifications too. Even still, it's indeed a very post 2005 heavy list which is quite annoying. I'd rather see a general "100 Games You Must Play" list instead of ranked garbage. Any of us could come up with one and while sure it would have some very common titles that so many of us love and play, there would also be plenty of games no one would never consider or remember.

And even still, there are plenty of games worth playing not only for fun factor, but there is a "historical technology factor" about many games too. Jurassic Park: Trespasser for one is a horribly executed game, but holy damn it was ahead of it's time and anyone who really is fascinated by gaming technology and it's progression owes it to themselves to play it or watch gameplay videos of it.

I think there's something in technology as well. Some of the best games ever made are barely playable on modern hardware and operating systems. Its a steep curve to get an old DOS game running under 64 bit Windows 8. Even relatively recent games like BG2 and Torment require some significant modding to get working under FHD LCDs. This is something that should be taken into account when building a Top List.

That said, with Microsoft pushing for Cloud gaming, you'll never be able to play any cloud dependent game after a few short years. So there may be a number of awesome games that use it, but once Microsoft et al want you to purchase the next iteration, the cloud support backend gets turned off. I feel like this could well cause a generation of titles to end up as 'Lost Games' in the same manner as Lost Films.

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
I absolutely LOVED Skyrim. I was truly engrossed in their world like I've never been before. That being said, #1 of all time? LOL.

What happened to industry-transforming Doom, Quake, HL, Starcraft, Diablo, etc? LOL.