wanna play HL2

SuPrEIVIE

Platinum Member
Aug 21, 2003
I have the 5 CDs version of the game that i received from a generous member here for free, but the 3rd CD is half cracked, i tried to find a place to d/l the iso of the 3rd CD but cant find it anywhere, was wondering if anyone can upload an iso of that CD?

thanks in advance

SuPrEIVIE

Platinum Member
Aug 21, 2003
Where would i find the product key? All the 5 CDs came in cd envelopes but i dont see a product key on on the front CD art etc?

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
should be on the the envelope or one of the cd's. also check the manual (usually on the inside of front or back cover)

SuPrEIVIE

Platinum Member
Aug 21, 2003
managed to put the valid key in but it says installation is required before continuing, which is where i am stuck at right now i need a copy of disc 3 for half life retail standard

Skunkwourk

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2004
If you clicked on the CD to start your installation, just forget about that. You shouldn't need the cd. Instead, if you download steam, the game should be under your not installed list. You can click on it and choose install. It will then start downloading the game off the internet. You don't even need to insert the cds at all, just input the key for the game.

SuPrEIVIE

Platinum Member
Aug 21, 2003
I didnt d/l steam i installed it from the cd and it got all the updates etc, i was in the middle of installation of hl2 and canceled to do what you said, but the popup still comes up for the "games" -> "activate a product on steam" feature demanding for an installed hl2, or is there another method of doing what you suggested?

RedArmy

Platinum Member
Mar 1, 2005
Delete everything off your computer that has to do with Valve and Steam and then download Steam from their website (http://steampowered.com/v/index.php)). After that, if the product is already registered to your account, just download it over Steam, if not, activate it and punch in your CD key and then download it that way.

SuPrEIVIE

Platinum Member
Aug 21, 2003
damnit after installing the software from their website its still asking for preinstalled hl2 before it will activate the key

RedArmy

Platinum Member
Mar 1, 2005
Originally posted by: SuPrEIVIE
damnit after installing the software from their website its still asking for preinstalled hl2 before it will activate the key

So it's still saying you have a pre-installed version? It's probably from some registry values or something along that nature.

SuPrEIVIE

Platinum Member
Aug 21, 2003
steam seems like a pain made an account at forums and still no admin activated me so cant post, nor got an answer from their support. Anyone out there with half life cds that can image cd #3?

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
steam seems like a pain made an account at forums and still no admin activated me so cant post, nor got an answer from their support. Anyone out there with half life cds that can image cd #3?

Bought the CE, only have it on DVD. :( Might wanna see if you can hunt down the offending Valve/Steam/HL2 registry entry(ies) after deleting it all. DLing/Installing through Steam is the greatest thing since sliced bread IMHO.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I have the 5 CDs version of the game that i received from a generous member here for free, but the 3rd CD is half cracked, i tried to find a place to d/l the iso of the 3rd CD but cant find it anywhere, was wondering if anyone can upload an iso of that CD?

thanks in advance

Wait a second: Have these been Installed/Setup before by the previous Member? If so, hs/she needs to give you their Account too. I'm 75% sure of it.

SuPrEIVIE

Platinum Member
Aug 21, 2003
thats interesting, but that doesnt sound right for someone to hand over their established steam account. I would suspect the previous owner played the game with this key and cds etc, but im pretty sure he removed ownership of it, he got the orange box anyway

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
What they should've done is gifted you the HL2 from their Orange Box, because the 5CD version's key was attached to their Steam account. Those disks are pretty much small, shiny frisbees at this point, because there's no way to play HL2 without a Steam account, even if it was retail. It downloads part of the game through Steam. And once a game is attached to an account that's pretty much it.

Since they still have that key attached to their account, you can ask them to "Gift" you the HL2 they got with Orange Box.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Originally posted by: Raduque
What they should've done is gifted you the HL2 from their Orange Box, because the 5CD version's key was attached to their Steam account. Those disks are pretty much small, shiny frisbees at this point, because there's no way to play HL2 without a Steam account, even if it was retail. It downloads part of the game through Steam.

Yep, I remember when I bought HL2 on 5 discs I had to set up a steam account and then waited close to 2 1/2 hours while steam basically downloaded the whole freaking game AGAIN even tho it was installed. What a PITA that was.