Wana back up my hard disks, how do i go about doing so?

KotchY

Banned
Oct 21, 1999
I have 12gb of data on my second partition that consists of Divxs, Mp3s, Music Vids, and programs, and i do have a burner, i wana back every thing up, hows does imaging work? like a zip file? thanks for your help...

Azraele

Elite Member
Nov 5, 2000
This question would probably be better off if put in one of the other forums.
As to the answer, I've never burned anything so I can't offer any help. Good luck.

Windogg

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Imaging is like taking a photo negative snapshot of your hard drive. It does more than just "zip" all your files. Since you have a burner, your best bet is to backup with a feature that allows you to span the data across multiple CDs.

KotchY

Banned
Oct 21, 1999
I was think of using winrar and backing them all up buy zipping them into a rar file and breaking them in to 600mb chunks, i dont know how this is done, but i know its possible when you get warez apps and thier like that

KotchY

Banned
Oct 21, 1999
nero said it cane image it and it would take 26 cds, oh my, how do i unimage a file and put it back to what it was

Windogg

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Zipping or any other compression would be useless since the files you want to backup are already highly compressed. Plus zipping it using WINRAR into 650MB files means you have to DOUBLE the data stored just to get them into a format that can be burned.

I use a tape unit so I'm not familiar with the CD method. On a tape you can create a "recovery disk" that dumps you into DOS and reimages your system.