Walter Cronkite: "worst policy decision this nation has ever made."

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
It's amazing how many idiots here learned about foreign relations when Bush pushed the United Nations to carry out its own resolutions. It's a damn shame how people are accusing the President of lying when they don't even know (or understand) underlying story is about. Some of the leftest here are so adamant that Bush lied that they refuse to read the thousands of policy papers written over the past decade on Iraq and how her actions might effect international relations. They say the most dangerous person in the world is one with limited knowledge. I'm simply amazed at how many people here fall under that category. I'm glad I never have to meet you'll in real life. It would really stress me out (bringing you'll up to speed).

As for Kronkite, if he and I could have an evening together speculating on the effects of theories of American foreign policy via the socratic method, I'm sure I would have him eating out of my hand.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: BOBDN
Originally posted by: ElFenix
eh, what was dumb was trying to say it was anything other than a resumption of hostilities due to iraq's breach of the cease-fire of the gulf war

?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

WTF are YOU talking about?

a resumption wouldn't be pre-emption, now would it?

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: Moonbeam

Pretending to himself the war was justified and should have been presented in that different justified way. Of course that way is a lie too. The UN had to vote, and they would not vote for war, just serious consequences. Bush unilarally, maybe with pango pango, went to war.

thank you moonbeam for putting words into my mouth
rolleye.gif

naddicott

Jul 3, 2002
Originally posted by: Dari
They say the most dangerous person in the world is one with limited knowledge.

As for Kronkite, if he and I could have an evening together speculating on the effects of theories of American foreign policy via the socratic method, I'm sure I would have him eating out of my hand.
rolleye.gif

Doubtful.

Kronkite's grasp of global politics >> Dari's.
If you truly believe otherwise, you're quite dangerous by your own definition. No offense intended.

Oct 16, 1999
eh, what was dumb was trying to say it was anything other than a resumption of hostilities due to iraq's breach of the cease-fire of the gulf war

I'm going to agree with you here because this is exactly what this was. But how someone can realize this and not feel that indeed Bush was attempting to decieve everyone by instead choosing to use terrorist and immenent threat rhetoric is beyond me.

wirelessenabled

Platinum Member
Feb 5, 2001
Mr. Bush's latest play on words today is that Iraq and Saddam "did have and did use WMDs". I guess Bush is talking about the 1980s Iran-Iraq war and using it a justification for a 2003 invasion.

Extrapolating along that line of reasoning we could/should invade Germany because in the 1914-1918 war they had and used mustard gas weapons.

Ooops, shouldn't give the Bush Administration any ideas. :frown:

Gaard

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002

Do you have any thoughts as to why other reasons were given?

rchiu

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2002
It's amazing how many idiots here learned about foreign relations when Bush pushed the United Nations to carry out its own resolutions. It's a damn shame how people are accusing the President of lying when they don't even know (or understand) underlying story is about. Some of the leftest here are so adamant that Bush lied that they refuse to read the thousands of policy papers written over the past decade on Iraq and how her actions might effect international relations. They say the most dangerous person in the world is one with limited knowledge. I'm simply amazed at how many people here fall under that category. I'm glad I never have to meet you'll in real life. It would really stress me out (bringing you'll up to speed).

Unbelievable, and you have the audacity to call people idiot? Foreign relations and Bush? He pused UN to carry out its own resolution? Where the heck did you get your facts from? Bush/Blair didn't pushed anybody to carry out any resolution, they ignored the resolution and carry out the whole war by themselfs.

Go back and read Bush's STOU then comeback and tell us where in that address talked about how the war was about international relations. Tell us how much international goodwill or Middle East goodwill did we get from this war. You are either blind by making such idiotic statement or your idea of internations relations is American relations with 10 other countries.

You are not stressed because you are trying to bring people up to speed, you are stressed because you know how pathetic your sorry excuse for this war is. And if this is the best you can do to debate in this forum, you have no business being with someone like Kronkite.

Gaard

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
<<As for Kronkite, if he and I could have an evening together speculating on the effects of theories of American foreign policy via the socratic method, I'm sure I would have him eating out of my hand.>>

I'm sure you would too. Hey, you could even tell him about your list. He'd probably be impressed.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002

I'm speechless. This is so wrong on so many levels. I can't believe one head can hold this much ego. Wow.

Wow.

(We need a shaking-head-in-disbelief emoticon)

BOBDN

Banned
May 21, 2002

You couldn't get a hungry fawn to eat out of your hand at a petting zoo.

Why don't you bring your boy Bush up to speed? You shouldn't experience much stress there.
rolleye.gif

Then the two of you can share a seat on the short bus.

PS

Are you dyslexic? Do you have a learning disability?

I only ask because a self proclaimed genius such as yourself should really exhibit better communication skills. Unless of course there is a medical reason for your ruptured syntax and myriad errors.

But keep posting even with all the mistakes.

You are always good for a laugh you pompous ass.

BOBDN

Banned
May 21, 2002
Originally posted by: BOBDN

?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

WTF are YOU talking about?

a resumption wouldn't be pre-emption, now would it?

A resumption of a war which ended 12 years ago?

You've GOT to be KIDDING.

But you're probably not. I've come to expect just about any excuse imaginable from you Bush lovers. This is really reaching though.

I think we should attack Germany next. We can call it a resumption of WWII.

Or Viet Nam. We never really finished whatever it was we set out to do there.

And let's not forget Japan. We should really resume the hostilities there. We could not only achieve entry into their tightly controlled economy, we could resume above ground nuclear testing as well.

heartsurgeon

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2001
Cronkite and the Liberals/Democrats are the reason we lost the Vietnam War (remember, they started it too)

sMiLeYz

Platinum Member
Feb 3, 2003

Let me put it simply for you, George Bush made the case for Iraq because they posed an imminent threat, he said had evidence that Iraq was trying to acquire nuclear weapons, and they had ties to Al-Qaida.

All of the above has been discredited by the CIA, the state department, and lack of any substantial evidence. Yet they went ahead and made claims as such anyway.

That's called lying, which means under the english dictionary....

v. lied, ly·ing, (lng) lies
v. intr.

1. To present false information with the intention of deceiving.
2. To convey a false image or impression: Appearances often lie.

sMiLeYz

Platinum Member
Feb 3, 2003
Originally posted by: heartsurgeon
Cronkite and the Liberals/Democrats are the reason we lost the Vietnam War (remember, they started it too)

Hahahhahaha we got a real winner here.

BOBDN

Banned
May 21, 2002
Originally posted by: heartsurgeon

Are you trying to say the Vietnamese started the Viet Nam War? And the Iraqis started Bush's war in Iraq?

Time for the heartsurgeon to find a brain surgeon.

The Viet Nam war was started by the USA based on a lie about an attack in the Gulf of Tonkin which never happened as an excuse
to prevent the "Domino Theory" from spreading Communism throughout southeast Asia. Good thing we did otherwise the whole of
southeast Asia would be Communist today.
rolleye.gif

Sort of like the current quagmire we find ourselves in. A war based on lies.

The reason we "lost" the Viet Nam War was - we should never have been there in the first place. We attempted to prop up a
government we forced on the Vietnamese (sound familiar - Iraq Governing Council?) that would cooperate with US interests.
A war started by the US for all the wrong reasons. Again, very much like the current conflict in Iraq.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999

Hehe, it's halarious to read Dari Loose Screw. The Socratic method! Yuck yuck. Eating out of my hand. Ahahahahaha Oh man. I think Dari has world trade towers going off in his head.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
It would take an idiot to create evidence of a crime to support a crime. Planting of evidence is insanity. I can't imagine an intellegent person thinking they'd get away with lying about Iraqi having WMD and to prove the lie they create the WMD in Iraq. So many dishonest people would have to be involved... just nutty to me.
But, to interpret intel to indicate WMD gives the folks (compartmentalized in the White House) Plausable Denial. They have wiggle room. They have the argument... better safe than sorry.. they have lots of things they can say.. but, let one piece of planted 'see I told you so' show up or one person tell the truth and good by the lot of them.. WhiteHouse Gate and all the right leaning folks hit the bricks..

Shelly21

Diamond Member
May 28, 2002
It's amazing how many idiots here learned about foreign relations when Bush pushed the United Nations to carry out its own resolutions. It's a damn shame how people are accusing the President of lying when they don't even know (or understand) underlying story is about. Some of the leftest here are so adamant that Bush lied that they refuse to read the thousands of policy papers written over the past decade on Iraq and how her actions might effect international relations. They say the most dangerous person in the world is one with limited knowledge.

Some people would agree with you and point to Bush as an example.

I believe UN was dragging on its feet and failed to carry out its own resolutions, but that should not be an excuse for Bush to use faulty intelligence blindly or worse, on purpose. It just doesn't look good even to some conservatives when in the end, there appears to be no WMD.

I'm glad Saddam is gone, but it's too bad Bush may take the exit for this too.