Walmart will start price-matching Amazon at its 5000 stores

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Walmart Will Start Price-Matching Amazon at Its 5000 Stores:

http://gizmodo.com/walmart-will-start-price-matching-amazon-at-its-5000-st-1658328747

Reuters reports that Walmart told managers at its roughly 5000 stores that they'll officially be able to offer customers the often cheaper prices available online. In the past, stores typically only matched published prices for other brick-and-mortar establishments. No longer. Apparently, about half of stores were already matching online prices, so the new move is meant to "formalize" the practice.

Downside is that you have to go into a Walmart, upside is that if you need something TODAY, you won't get ripped off :thumbsup:

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Also make sure you download Walmart's "Saving Catcher" app: (also available as a webpage)

https://savingscatcher.walmart.com/

1. Scan or type in your Walmart receipt
2. They'll compare prices to local printed competitor's ads
3. If they find a lower advertised price, they will credit you the difference via a Walmart eGift card

So even if you weren't aware something was cheaper online, you can still get that money back. This combined with the Amazon price-matching is going to make holiday shopping AWESOME!

Last edited:

sm625

Diamond Member
May 6, 2011
It could boost revenue but I fail to see how this boosts earnings.

lazarus000

Aug 9, 2001
Its called being a loss leader, they take a hit on a couple items so that when you go there you buy everything you need.

definitely

people almost always spend more than they planned once you get them in the doors. Not to mention the benefit of people getting into a habit of going to Walmart for stuff.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Also make sure you download Walmart's "Saving Catcher" app: (also available as a webpage)

https://savingscatcher.walmart.com/

1. Scan or type in your Walmart receipt
2. They'll compare prices to local printed competitor's ads
3. If they find a lower advertised price, they will credit you the difference via a Walmart eGift card

So even if you weren't aware something was cheaper online, you can still get that money back. This combined with the Amazon price-matching is going to make holiday shopping AWESOME!

now walmart knows exactly where you live and what you buy!

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
This goes hand in hand with them not price matching local grocery stores now.

Blanky

Platinum Member
Oct 18, 2014
This is good, but if target is anything to go by probably not as good as it might seem. I find that for electronics (I care little about much else) there are so many slightly different model numbers that B&M use; just slightly different product lines. It's annoying. I have used price match at best buy a few times, though. It's welcome to have this at walmart.

truckerCLOCK

Dec 13, 2011
have you used savingscatcher and got any money back?

I've tried it a couple of times but never got shit back. See the thing is the products have to be name brand items. Which if your shopping at Walmart chances are your going to buy their cheap white label stuff so its kinda useless.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
now walmart knows exactly where you live and what you buy!

To a degree. yes. They don't use a bonus card like other stores, so this is their way around that. I would be interested in what percentage of customers will actually use this though.

My wife and I have already been seeing some savings with this.

KK

Lifer
Jan 2, 2001
The old hag at our walmart nearby would not price match their walmart.com site a few months ago. Was buying the boy a lego video game and the price was like 30 dollars online, and the same game was sitting in the game cabinet for 40 something. Showed the manager the price at one of the kiosk sites they had at the electronics department and she said they couldn't price match their site as online was wholesale something or other.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
The old hag at our walmart nearby would not price match their walmart.com site a few months ago. Was buying the boy a lego video game and the price was like 30 dollars online, and the same game was sitting in the game cabinet for 40 something. Showed the manager the price at one of the kiosk sites they had at the electronics department and she said they couldn't price match their site as online was wholesale something or other.

That is (was?) the official policy. WM B&M will NOT PM WM.com. Btw, I think that the thread title is wrong. The quoted paragraph in the OP seems to suggest that WM B&M will start to officially match their OWN online prices, not Amazon's.

zardthebuilder

Feb 8, 2012

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
For those complaining, most retailers do not match their online pricing.

I don't really shop at Wal Mart for anything I can get online.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Btw, I think that the thread title is wrong. The quoted paragraph in the OP seems to suggest that WM B&M will start to officially match their OWN online prices, not Amazon's.

Nope, it's from Reuters:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/11/13/walmart-amazoncom-idUSL2N0T30WN20141113

Wal-Mart Stores Inc has informed managers of its roughly 5,000 stores across the United States that they can match prices with Amazon.com Inc and other online retailers, the head of the company's U.S. business said on Thursday.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Yeah, I remember there was a big blow-up over Best Buy having a special in-store website that had different pricing:

http://gizmodo.com/337429/best-buy-still-using-secret-in-store-website-with-higher-pricing-update

A retailer I worked for did this also.

My pre-price-match story: I remember my wife and I going to Walmart to get my mother an external hard drive. It was full price, so I called her and she ordered it on the site for in-store pickup. Walked up to the service desk and picked it up for about half the shelf price.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
This is a very good thing, glad wally world is going this route. I've run into the same idiotic situation before where the walmart web site price was different than their local price and they wouldn't price match it.

Pricematching walmart.com is just correcting the earlier completely illogical position on that. Matching amazon (and possibly other online retailers) is a big deal IMO. If you want something quickly and yet don't want to get ripped off, if walmart carries it in store you can get the best of both worlds.

TwiceOver

Lifer
Dec 20, 2002

It is, but you can tell their servers are getting hammered now. I've been using it a month and the return is taking longer and longer every time. I do like that every now and again they find a "new ad" for my area and go back through my available receipts to find me more savings.

Wonder if catcher will start comparing to amazon natively, oh that would be awesome.

have you used savingscatcher and got any money back?

I'm a month in and have $13 in my catcher. Not bad for doing nothing other than scanning my receipts. We do the bulk of our shopping there. So if that savings keeps up and I can save $150 a year for doing next to nothing? Sure, why not.

I've tried it a couple of times but never got shit back. See the thing is the products have to be name brand items. Which if your shopping at Walmart chances are your going to buy their cheap white label stuff so its kinda useless.

Correct, it compares product SKUs, "Great Value", the Wal-Mart brand, would have a different SKU than the Name Brand stuff.

zardthebuilder

Feb 8, 2012
I'm a month in and have $13 in my catcher. Not bad for doing nothing other than scanning my receipts. We do the bulk of our shopping there. So if that savings keeps up and I can save $150 a year for doing next to nothing? Sure, why not.

i do a lot of shopping at walmart but never bothered. thought it was just a PR gimmick. i'll give it a try.

harobikes333

Platinum Member
Sep 18, 2005
daily-page.com
Screw Walmart. I don't purchase from them because of how they run their business / treat their employees. Target / Costco FTW.

Not to get off topic... I feel that the 3-10$ that a person saves isn't worth going to Walmart to get a GIFT CARD... not actual $$ back in your pocket IMO

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
i do a lot of shopping at walmart but never bothered. thought it was just a PR gimmick. i'll give it a try.

This. I just entered a receipt. It says it will take 2-3 business days to compare prices. :confused:

Well, hopefully I'll get something.