Walmart vs. Target... WOW, what a difference

Page 13 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Evadman

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Feb 18, 2001
Originally posted by: So
Trust me, all retail people hate you and don't want to be there, unless:
a) It's their first week and their spirits haven't been broken by the public
b) They're completely insane, in which case, I'd want to keep my distance. I'd prefer to be the only person to ever wear my skin, thank you very much.

I liked working retail. If I am insane, I am so insane I can't tell I am insane; which is certanly possible.

sunzt

Diamond Member
Nov 27, 2003
I can't believe this topic is so long already, but I'll add to it.

Target sells on a better shopping experience. Walmart sells on price.

It's the same reason people go to Starbucks instead of some cheaper coffee place. Starbucks has a better environment and experience.

Oscar1613

Golden Member
Jan 31, 2001
i went to walmart yesterday as a last resort and saw someone getting arrested and loaded into a police car right by the doors :laugh: i should've turned around and left right then, but sadly i ignored my better judgement and went in anyway :(

people pushing 2 carts side by side down the aisles so you had to back up and go down another, had to dig thru the merchandise to find one that wasnt all busted up, dividing self-checkout purchases into 3 separate transactions, and digging for 10 minutes in their purse to find different CCs, just to name a few :(

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
Originally posted by: Evadman
b) They're completely insane, in which case, I'd want to keep my distance. I'd prefer to be the only person to ever wear my skin, thank you very much.

I liked working retail. If I am insane, I am so insane I can't tell I am insane; which is certanly possible.

i'm sorry man u are insane. its drudgery, air is stale, the fluorescent lights burn into your dying soul. watching the sheeple walk around you for hour after hour, the fat women who take up an entire isle with their big asses..the children running amuck.. all the while being paid peanuts.

MrPickins

Diamond Member
May 24, 2003
Originally posted by: 0roo0roo
Originally posted by: Evadman

i'm sorry man u are insane. its drudgery, air is stale, the fluorescent lights burn into your dying soul. watching the sheeple walk around you for hour after hour, the fat women who take up an entire isle with their big asses..the children running amuck.. all the while being paid peanuts.

That pretty much describes every big-box retailer. :p

Edit: Meaning I agree wholeheartedly.

Kirby

Lifer
Apr 10, 2006
I don't shop at Wal-Mart all. Besides the stuff already mentioned in the OP, what Wal-Mart does to small communities is atrocious. Selling products below wholesale to eliminate competion and treating employees like sh!t are some of the many reasons I shop at Target. Also, all the hot girls shop at Target in Tuscaloosa :p

Ruptga

Lifer
Aug 3, 2006
Originally posted by: 308nato
Target does not sell ammo......otherwise I love it.

Yup, Target doesn't have the same target (no pun wanted) demographic that WalMart does. Walmart is more of a midwestern-ish general store where you can find a little bit of everything, whereas Target is more of a city-ish store where you can find a little bit of most everything. No Target I've seen has a hunting or camping section, or an automotive section to speak of. From what I've seen, Target is a lot more into the floofy fanciful stuff where WalMart is just stuff. You can see it in the advertising too; honestly, how many Target ads have you seen that're aimed at guys? How many WalMart ads have you seen that don't have something to do with community or some such? I don't watch many commercials so you might prove me wrong on that point, but I'm still convinced their target demographics overlap a bit, but only a bit.

mobobuff

Lifer
Apr 5, 2004
Step 1: Make a list of things you need.
Step 2: Find out where you can obtain them for the lowest cost.
Step 3: Purchase items.

The arrogance and illusions of self grandeur is strong in this thread.

ubercaffeinated

Platinum Member
Dec 1, 2002
aren't these stores regionalized anyways. so walmarts and targets in more affluent areas are better than the ones in poorer areas?

jumpr

Golden Member
Jan 2, 2006
Originally posted by: mobobuff
Step 1: Make a list of things you need.
Step 2: Find out where you can obtain them for the lowest cost.
Step 3: Purchase items.

The arrogance and illusions of self grandeur is strong in this thread.
QFFT