Walmart pushes (hosts) 'Made in USA' summit - wants to bring manufacturing back

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/wal-mart-pushes-made-america-summit-180302824.html

ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) — Wal-Mart Stores Inc. spearheaded an effort Thursday to bring together retailers, suppliers and government officials so they can figure out how to bring more manufacturing jobs to the United States.

The world's largest retailer hosted its first two-day U.S. Manufacturing Summit in Orlando, hoping to capitalize on the company's recent commitment to drive more manufacturing in the U.S. The "made in the USA" campaign could boost Wal-Mart's image, which is constantly under attack by labor-backed groups who have criticized the retail behemoth as a destroyer of U.S. jobs rather than a creator.

Not sure how I feel about this or whether it will result in anything. I guess the public pressure and image finally got to Walmart because I'm sure they aren't doing this for the betterment of the average US citizen (unless they finally realize that people with better jobs spend MORE money). Lots of chatter lately about this subject....is the US finally going to wake up and start rebuilding the middle class foundation which holds our economy up?

Also, it would be interesting to listen in on Walmart sales pitches to see if the chain is still pushing manufacturers for lower and lower prices to the point that they (Walmart) knows that the stuff has to be made offshore to make it to the level that Walmart requires (price wise).

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
I'm glad to see it, but I remain skeptical that it is anything more than marketing hype.

LightPattern

Feb 18, 2013
Good PR at a minimum.

ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) — Wal-Mart Stores Inc. spearheaded an effort Thursday to bring together retailers, suppliers and government officials so they can figure out how to bring more manufacturing jobs to the United States.
If they're including their competitors, it looks admirable.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
I'm glad to see it, but I remain skeptical that it is anything more than marketing hype.
Exactly. Wal-Mart was a huge driver in forcing American manufacturing overseas. I'll believe it when I see it, but it would be a great step for the U.S. if Wal-Mart has truly decided to work to turn that around.

Last edited:

Hugo Drax

Diamond Member
Nov 20, 2011
I guess they are worried no one will buy their goods if no one who shops at walmart has a job?

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
It won't make much difference. The vast majority will opt for the cheaper imports and then bitch about all the jobs going overseas.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Exactly. Wal-Mart was a huge driver in forcing American manufacturing overseas. I'll believe when I see it, but it would be a great step for the U.S. if Wal-Mart has truly decided to work to turn that around.

i wonder if they're finding that quality issues, lead times, etc. are finally catching up with them.

having a supplier base in the US has its benefits.

readymix

Jan 3, 2007
their goals are not lofty enough to call it a summit. preparing for the day when the big Chinese retailers come to the usa.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Well, if they can get Americans to work for Chinese wages, it'll save on shipping.

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
I guess they are worried no one will buy their goods if no one who shops at walmart has a job?

This.

I think the one of the biggest economic disasters of modern history is the misguided theory that cheaper goods and production results in a better economic result. However, the economic result doesn't include welfare, medicaid, or the cost to GDP/race to the bottom for costs. It's a huge miscalculation and one that has cost us millions of jobs for not only no gain but a huge loss.

Auric

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
"Bring manufacturing back" is diff'rent than "relocate unskilled manufacturing jerbs". Skilled and high-tech manufacturing has flippin' boomed in recent decades with less people. Anyhoo, wages in China and transport from same have risen and there is plenty of unskilled labour and tax incentives in the consumer homeland.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
This.

I think the one of the biggest economic disasters of modern history is the misguided theory that cheaper goods and production results in a better economic result. However, the economic result doesn't include welfare, medicaid, or the cost to GDP/race to the bottom for costs. It's a huge miscalculation and one that has cost us millions of jobs for not only no gain but a huge loss.

Depends on your perspective. America's offshoring Capitalists have become much, much wealthier & more powerful. For them, it's grand success story.

Ask Mitt. He'll answer by telling you he needs a tax cut so he can "create jobs".

The Faithful lap it up.

SparkyJJO

Lifer
May 16, 2002
Leave it to you jhhnn to try to turn something partisan and throw in underhanded insults. Again :rolleyes:

Auric

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
Depends on your perspective. America's offshoring Capitalists have become much, much wealthier & more powerful. For them, it's grand success story.

Ask Mitt. He'll answer by telling you he needs a tax cut so he can "create jobs".

The Faithful lap it up.

Indeed. Somewhere in 'Murica: "I voted fer Romney 'cause the Chinamen took mah jerb!". Oh, you precious chump.

SlickSnake

Diamond Member
May 29, 2007
Their sales are slumping badly in many markets which is effecting their long term world wide growth plans.

Maybe they finally realized they helped kill off the middle class to the point they are finally losing sales over it.

LOL. As if.

They are probably holding these exact same summits in China about their Chinese stores for the exact opposite reasons.

drebo

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
I don't understand all you leftists. You all bitch and moan when I talk about non-interventionist foreign policies about how if we do that the GLOBAL ECONOMY will collapse...

But then when the global economy results in imports being cheaper than domestic production, it's all bad.

You're all a bunch of fucking hypocrites. Get your story straight.

Do you want global economy or not?

Protective tariffs and global economy are mutually exclusive. You get one or the other. You can't have it both ways.

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
Do you want global economy or not?
Do you want a 30s depression, or not? I'm no, "leftist," but the global economy is here. You can't want it or not want it, unless you think we could get by like NK. We have to find a balance, and change as the rest of the world does.

Protective tariffs and global economy are mutually exclusive. You get one or the other. You can't have it both ways.
Bullshit. It is right and proper behavior. There is nothing wrong with a country applying tariffs for the purposes of protecting their domestic industries. Free trade and protective tariffs are mutually exclusive. The global economy can and does exist with tariffs just fine, with no exclusivity anywhere.

P.S. Is Walmart looking for this, by some chance?

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Leave it to you jhhnn to try to turn something partisan and throw in underhanded insults. Again :rolleyes:

MMMMmmmm. You seem to enjoy the taste of bitter denial.

Offshoring is part & parcel of the trickle down economic flimflam we've bought into for the last 30+ years. It has been sold on the notion that we'd all share in the bounty. Unsurprisingly, for all too many Americans, that promise turned out to be a lie.

If you can't accept that, you can't accept Reality.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
This could be huge for the US. IF walmart starts wanting MORE made in the US goods.

but...i will remain skeptical.

Apr 27, 2012
Walmart is the same company that has pushed many of the jobs to china and now wants to bring them back. They're just using this for PR purposes.

ElMonoDelMar

Golden Member
Apr 29, 2004
This is already having an effect in my hometown. We have a GE plant that is hiring 30 people (it's a small plant in a small town) and investing $10M to start producing bulbs for Walmart that were previously assembled in Mexico.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Walmart wanting to saddle their competitors with higher costs? Unpossible!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nintendesert

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2010
You pathetic sacks of shit can blame Wal-Mart all you want for pushing that Chinese made crapware, but the fact is the customers chose to buy Chinese made crapware over American made items time and time again. YOU are to blame every single time you choose a cheaper item made in China instead of an item made anywhere else.

If Americans more consistently bought only items made in the USA then Wal-Mart and every other retailer would stock those items instead of what the American traitorous consumer demands, cheap Chinese shit.