Walmart Enjoying 6.2 billion in subsidies

Chiropteran

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2003
http://www.forbes.com/sites/clareoc...t-taxpayers-6-2-billion-in-public-assistance/

I've said it before. The problem is not the minimum wage. The problem is that companies like Walmart can pay minimum wage, or close to it, and it's employees are happy to receive that money because they can also receive government assistance at the same time.

“More than 99 percent of our associates earn above minimum wage,” he said. “In fact, the average hourly wage for our associates, both full and part-time, is an average of $11.83 per hour.”

I find it kind of funny that the guy is so out of touch that he thinks $11.83/hr is something to brag about, like it's good money.

Welfare is supposed to help people in terrible situations, it's not supposed to enable a corporation to save money by supporting it's employees.

Last edited:

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
So does that mean that when Democrats support "food stamps, Medicaid and subsidized housing" they are really supporting corporate welfare?

When can we expect Democrats to stop sucking the cocks of their corporate masters?

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Really? So K-Mart, McDonalds, Wendy's, KFC, Burger King and an whole host of other companies that pay their employees minimum wage or slightly above aren't receiving the same subsidies as Walmart?

So because he didn't call out all of them, he's not allowed to call out one of them?
I agree that the demonizing of Walmart can get a bit stupid, but it's not like Walmart doesnt deserve it. As do all the other companies you mentioned.

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
This just in. Working a cash register will not give you enough money to support a family of 4 without Government help.

Newell Steamer

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2014
So does that mean that when Democrats support "food stamps, Medicaid and subsidized housing" they are really supporting corporate welfare?

When can we expect Democrats to stop sucking the cocks of their corporate masters?

Do the recipients of these make profits, hand over fist, like Walmart?

No, they don't.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001

Ok so we do away with all forms of public assistance. Now what? Kittens and rainbows?

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
“More than 99 percent of our associates earn above minimum wage,” he said. “In fact, the average hourly wage for our associates, both full and part-time, is an average of $11.83 per hour

Welfare is supposed to help people in terrible situations, it's not supposed to enable a corporation to save money by supporting it's employees.

Seems to me that Walmart does pay a living wage:

http://livingwage.mit.edu/places/2705343000

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
This just in. Working a cash register will not give you enough money to support a family of 4 without Government help.

This! Since when does the most unskilled of unskilled labor provide wages that are high?

Also, Walmart isn't a charity. They exist to make profits. That it is. If Walmart pays their workers, which there are no shortage of right now, more, they either raise prices or take a profit it. Guess which one is more likely? And, then people will cry about the prices and Walmart leading the march against the middle class!

Chiropteran

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2003
No companies come to mind, can you list some?

Boeing, costco, american express, hbo, mortons, any airline, the company I work for (not interested in sharing it's name), google, microsoft, apple.

I'm sure there are thousands of others, many small and local but they exist nonetheless.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
Wow, I didn't know that, but I'm a skeptic by nature so please provide your legitimate source of information.

Here was the chart comparing Walmart and Costco which clearly explains why Costco can pay higher wages:

1353972586639.cached.png