Walmart BF special - HP Gaming PC (i5-7400,8GB,GTX1060 3GB) $499.99 in-store starting 6PM thurs.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
That was fairly mild. WTF were they after, anyways? HDMI cables? Socks?

That must be a Super 24/7 Walmart in some populous region of the country.

Here, they aren't allowed to wait in-store, they form a line that may have stretched a quarter-mile around the parking lot, and they let people in in bunches.

I've been to some pre-BF midnight openings in the past, and as we waited in the foyer (hmm, which I don't think exists, since they re-modeled a year ago), and I made everyone looking for one of the big-ticket items sign a list when they arrived, so when they opened, it wouldn't be a big free-for-all.

Reactions: UsandThem

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I wish I had $500, I'd pick one of these up for S&G. I spent that kind of money on HDDs (easystore) and AIO WC kits (2x 120mm, 2x 240mm, MasterLiquid Lite) already, so there's no free money left this month.

At least there's Ramen in the pantry. :)

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Same here. I`m avoiding looking at anymore deals right now. Between the tablet, video card, and monitor, I've spent enough.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Now the page is saying "Only 7 left!", and giving me a list of five local stores that I can "pick up today" at. I guess these didn't really sell at all, unless they shipped a whole pallet to each store or something. Well, when PS4 is $199.99, the console generation (and millenials, that don't own desktop PCs), it's kind of a no-brainer to go console at this point.

Desktops, they are a-dying, except at the very high end, which this minimal gaming PC is not. Though, it seems like a decent value for a $500 gaming rig, it's cheaper than I could build out of parts, by like $100-150. At the regular price of $649.99, I don't think that it would sell at all.

Any idea if Walmart will offer further markdowns, in-store clearance, if these don't sell? I'm thinking, maybe $399.99, for a decent desktop that can do some gaming? Might not make a bad Christmas gift for something. Not that I'm trying to "push" these, I have no affiliation with HP or Walmart or any of the component vendors. Just a deal that caught my eye.

Edit: I'm going to hold out till the beginning of Dec., and see if they still have them, and if they have had further markdowns. Then I might pick one up, and give you all a review.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
PC gaming is tough for a lot of people now. You used to be able to buy a nice card for $300. Now a card like the 1080 or 1080ti is $500 - $800. Then there are the Titan cards. :eek:

I'd rather get a console. I'm too cheap to pay that much. I know they don't look as good, but I can live with that. :)

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I want one of these, for some really bizarre reason, and I don't know why...

I already have a number of Ryzen R5 1600 rigs, one with AIO WC, several with RX 470 and RX 570 cards.

Maybe it piques my Ferengi-like sense of acquisition.

Objectively, is this a decent deal? It's not overclockable, which is a bummer.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
It's a good deal. Not super hot IMO, but pretty good because of the video card. Plus, I think Walmart has 4% cash back at Ebates, so that should almost take care of the sales tax.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
It's a good deal. Not super hot IMO, but pretty good because of the video card.
That's kind of what I was thinkiing. Not a GREAT deal, but mildly warm. I'm not a big fan of HP PCs (they made a lot of really cheap-o AMD Athlon II PCs back in the day, that were failing in one way or another after a few years, that I've worked on in the day), but they would have to try really hard to screw up an Intel/NV build, wouldn't they?

What about buying one of these, taking out the CPU and video card, and dropping in a G4560 and GTX950 2GB video card, and re-selling it? (Making note of the changed configuration.)

Great Deal!
11/25/2017
Average rating:5out of5stars, based onreviews
by jello251
I was able to get this in store on Thanksgiving and extremely happy with this deal. The pc runs very fast and stays quiet. The case is smaller than I thought and looks very sleek. Been playing Battlefield 1 and no problems staying at 75 fps on 1080p ultra. To give some more info about this since the item description doesn't have much details... -mAtx motherboard -2 ram slots(4gb x2) -only 1 open sata port and mounting spot for hdd or ssd (3 sata total) -bare bones gtx 1060 with single fan (no backplate etc.) x1 hdmi - x3 displayport - x1 dvi output -the 1tb hdd is WD Blue 7200rpm -Windows 10 Home I installed a SSD as boot drive and did fresh install of Win 10. Had some HP bloatware installed, now it's super fast. The single fan 1060 seems to run a little warm. I haven't tried overclocking it or increasing fan speed to lower temperatures yet but its been great so far. Overall it's a great compact pc. Does not have much upgrade headroom for future, but adding an ssd will make this a perfect budget machine for quite some time.

Hmm, does't sound bad, it's got an extra SATA port and drive slot to add an SSD. Bonus!

Last edited:

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
That's kind of what I was thinkiing. Not a GREAT deal, but mildly warm. I'm not a big fan of HP PCs (they made a lot of really cheap-o AMD Athlon II PCs back in the day, that were failing in one way or another after a few years, that I've worked on in the day), but they would have to try really hard to screw up an Intel/NV build, wouldn't they?

What about buying one of these, taking out the CPU and video card, and dropping in a G4560 and GTX950 2GB video card, and re-selling it? (Making note of the changed configuration.)

Possibly. You'd have to check the data sheet for HP systems. The last time I bought a HP, it only supported and worked with three Intel CPUs out of Intel's entire lineup. Those basic BIOS are extremely locked down and bare.

kwalkingcraze

Jan 2, 2017
That was fairly mild. WTF were they after, anyways? HDMI cables? Socks?

That must be a Super 24/7 Walmart in some populous region of the country.

Here, they aren't allowed to wait in-store, they form a line that may have stretched a quarter-mile around the parking lot, and they let people in in bunches.

I've been to some pre-BF midnight openings in the past, and as we waited in the foyer (hmm, which I don't think exists, since they re-modeled a year ago), and I made everyone looking for one of the big-ticket items sign a list when they arrived, so when they opened, it wouldn't be a big free-for-all.
Every Walmart stores on Black Friday are different, and so I visited Yucca Valley, CA store and no one bought them. TVs were hard to sell too. In my area at the desert region, almost all stores still have some in-stock left. The bigger cities were apparently sold out and gone.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Well, I bought one. :) :| :(

Now, not sure what to do with it. If I'm going to actually use it for something, I'd like to soup it up with an SSD (has a spare SATA port and drive bay, supposedly), and double the RAM. Problem is, DDR4 is so darn expensive right now. :(

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Seems to be a visual glitch, when using 4K UHD resolutions over HDMI (2.0? I hope that the included GTX1060 card is 2.0...), and selecting 60Hz, it doesn't seem to actually drive 60Hz, and the mouse cursor is stunted vertically.