Wall stud finder

Nov 26, 2005
I'm looking for a wall stud finder because the Zircon 1 1/2" depth stud finder is out of the box brand new unreliable. Batteries were brand new. Followed instructions. Tried it for around 10 minutes on different walls to see if I could get a consistent reading and before I know it I would be pounding holes all over the drywall and not finding the stud.

After all I've done it still could be user error but I'm wondering if I'm crazy or not.

Also is there any good cheap wall stud finders I could pick up at a HD or Lowes?

Thanks

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
Maybe it's just defective? I'd got a... maybe 30 years old... Zircon that works fine, very simple model with just a row of LEDs, no other display. I doubt they still make same model today.

I'd check out some amazon reviews and youtube videos to narrow the list.

Last edited:
Reactions: BTRY B 529th FA BN

jmagg

Platinum Member
Nov 21, 2001
In most cases, you can find drywall fasteners with a flashlight. Put the light tight to the wall and you'll be able to barely see the finished fasteners through the paint.

Reactions: BTRY B 529th FA BN

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
You can usually find a few shrunk fasteners when you shadow a wall,, you may need to measure over and plumb up or down to the location needed. Try it

I agree that most dry wall hangers do not do perfect work and you may find a screw heads using your method. Much easier with a quality stud finder.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Sometimes it pays to be amateur at taping and mudding walls, never have an issue finding studs. :p

Seriously though I find stud finders can really vary, you almost need to just buy more than one and each one might work better in their own situation.

What I'd like is to find one that works through roofing shingles for when doing solar installs, but I think because of how dense shingles are it messes up the signal. When you don't have easy access to the other side it's nice to put the lag bolts through the joists and not have to go back to put a block.

If money is no object a FLIR makes a good stud finder.

But yeah for standard walls a hard drive magnet works too for finding drywall screws and knowing where studs are.

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
This is basically the one I have - it's been great. Not 100% accurate but much better than any other stud finder I've ever owned.

Reactions: pcgeek11