Walking Dead (TV Show): Question about Woodbury and the Governor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mahaguru

Jul 20, 2007
****SPOILERS*****

I at the latest episode, but going back to the Woodbury episodes, why was Woodbury, the Governor and his cohorts "bad"?

What exactly were they doing wrong that would be considered bad in an post-zombie world?

Pr0d1gy

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2005
Woodbury and the people were not bad, but they allowed the one bad person to have all the power. If they had risen up against him and made his nerd follower the leader things would have turned out totally different. Then maybe Herschel would still have his head.

Jeeebus

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2006
Keeping pet zombies, murdering people, collecting heads, rape, etc. Ya, not so bad.

edro

Lifer
Apr 5, 2002
He murdered anyone nearby that held resources.
Remember him wiping out the army group and taking their guns?

Mar 16, 2005
governor-walking-dead2-618x400.jpg

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
Ambushing people is a defense strategy?

If you view people as a threat, then yes. When fighting for survival there are no fair fights and no declarations of war. You try to eliminate the enemy by any means possible. Whether the governor and the people of Woodbury were correct or fair in assessing the threat from the prison group is of course debatable, but if they truly felt the need to take the prison group out to protect themselves then ambushes are completely justified.

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I never read the comics, but it is pretty well agreed upon that the show did a terrible job of portraying just exactly how bad the governor was. Instead, you got a bunch of glaring looks from Michonne for about 4 episodes that were supposed to make you believe that the governor shouldn't be trusted. Sure he was a little bit out there, but nothing like what he was in the books. Yeah he did bad things, but the show did a terrible job of conveying that to the audience and making them really feel it. They really should have replaced about 50% of season three with the first half of season 4, and that would have made a good season.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
I never read the comics, but it is pretty well agreed upon that the show did a terrible job of portraying just exactly how bad the governor was. Instead, you got a bunch of glaring looks from Michonne for about 4 episodes that were supposed to make you believe that the governor shouldn't be trusted. Sure he was a little bit out there, but nothing like what he was in the books. Yeah he did bad things, but the show did a terrible job of conveying that to the audience and making them really feel it. They really should have replaced about 50% of season three with the first half of season 4, and that would have made a good season.

The show, from the get go, stated it is not nor will it follow the comic. This is why I don't read the comic. I would constantly be making comparisons with both and probably not enjoy either.

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
The show, from the get go, stated it is not nor will it follow the comic. This is why I don't read the comic. I would constantly be making comparisons with both and probably not enjoy either.

I agree whole heartedly, but my point is that they wanted the governor to be an evil dude like in the books, and they simply did not do a very good job achieving that goal.

SamQuint

Golden Member
Dec 6, 2010
comic spoilers

In the comic the Governor captures Rick and Glen and they basically torture both into revealing information about their group. The Governor also chops off Rick's hand. The town also had a bunch of walkers on hand for amusement. They would have these fights where two people were forced to fight in the ring and they would be surrounded by walkers that were on chains or ropes in the ring to force the fighters to stay in the middle. If you tried to run the walkers would get you.

Status
Not open for further replies.