Walgreens Digital Prints: How is the quality?

dakata24

Diamond Member
Aug 7, 2000
i see that walgreens now does digital photo printing. wondering how they compare to walmart and costco in terms of quality. $.20/per print for 50+ photos is not bad considering they're just a few blocks away from me.

Jeff7181

Lifer
Aug 21, 2002
I've never used the one at Walgreens, but I've used the Walmart and CVS one before... it's been a year or two since I have... but they were good quality if the picture was good quality to begin with. It's like the old saying, garbage in, garbage out. I'm sure they don't meet a professional photographer's standards, but if you're going to hang family photos up on a wall, or put them in a photo album, or something like that where the very fine detail isn't going to be analyzed to no end, then yeah, those kinda places are just fine.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Walmart and CostCo printers do an EXCELLENT job @ printing digital pictures.

ucdnam

Golden Member
Jan 28, 2000
Walgreens uses a standalone booth to print their photos, so the quality was bad compared with Walmart, which used a real photo printer. I've done Costco which looks good and the various online services also. I just tried Walgreens since it was the only thing where I was at (Battle Creek, Michigan) and I would have rather used Walmart's service.

I would not bother with Walgreens at all.

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Ive been using walgreens for digital photo printing now for about 4-5 months and the quality from the one near me is outstanding.

I take 1600x1200 pics and get them sized to 8x10 and they look perfect.

Growltiger

Golden Member
Oct 11, 1999
I tried Wal-mart and was very impressed, for both the quality and price. I'm wondering how it stacks to some of these websites where you can upload your photos and have them mailed to you (e.g. clubphoto.com, etc).

T2T III

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: RossMAN
Walmart and CostCo printers do an EXCELLENT job @ printing digital pictures.

I'm also happy with the quality of prints from Costco. However, just be sure to properly crop your images before taking them to Costco. Their "automatic cropping" system will take off a bit at the top of the picture when you have 4" x 6" prints printed. Just make sure the resolution of the print conforms to the 4:6 ratio and you'll be fine. Plus, at .19 each, it's a bargain.

My local photo shop - mom & pop type shop, charges about .55 per digital print, unless larger quantities are printed. Even then, the price never gets down near .19 each.

dakata24

Diamond Member
Aug 7, 2000
thanks guys. i guess ill venture alittle futher and goto walmart.

how long does it normally take to develop digital prints? and can i modify the photos at the store? i noticed while printing some test prints on my canon i850 on photo pro 4x6 borderless paper that it crops part of the images. id like to be able to manipulate it so i can choose where it crops. thanks again. =)

GTaudiophile

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
I've been satisfied with Kinko's stand-alone Sony laser printers.

I'll have to give Wal-Mart a try next time.

Growltiger

Golden Member
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: dakata24
thanks guys. i guess ill venture alittle futher and goto walmart. how long does it normally take to develop digital prints?

About 1 hour.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
Originally posted by: SunnyD
Keep in mind to get photo quality out of a digital print you need about a 20 megapixel camera.

no you dont

my 3.2 Mp olympus takes amazing photos and printed up to 8x11 they look amazing

ive seen pics from a 6mp Nikon DSLR blown up to 24x48 and you cant tell the diff between it and a film print

dakata24

Diamond Member
Aug 7, 2000
went to walmart. i was quite pleased at the quality and the speed. processed 95 photos in 30mins (done after work). :)

hey, GTAudiophile, how do you like your ZT3000/X1000? just ordered a X1000. cant wait for it to arrive.