Wal-Mart set to conquer India

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Text

Wal-Mart Stores Inc. (WMT.N: Quote, Profile, Research), the world's biggest retailer, will enter India's retail market through a joint venture with Bharti Enterprises, adding its logistics expertise to the conglomerate's knowledge of the local market.

Bharti Enterprises Ltd. Chairman Sunil Mittal said on Monday he expected the joint venture to be operating several hundred stores across the country within five years.

Who cares about losing Germany when you are going to have the most populated country in the world under your thumb (I know China is right now, but in a decade or so, India will pass them).

athithi

Golden Member
Mar 5, 2002
Originally posted by: Schadenfroh
Text

Wal-Mart Stores Inc. (WMT.N: Quote, Profile, Research), the world's biggest retailer, will enter India's retail market through a joint venture with Bharti Enterprises, adding its logistics expertise to the conglomerate's knowledge of the local market.

Bharti Enterprises Ltd. Chairman Sunil Mittal said on Monday he expected the joint venture to be operating several hundred stores across the country within five years.

Who cares about losing Germany when you are going to have the most populated country in the world under your thumb (I know China is right now, but in a decade or so, India will pass them).

LOL, I hope Wal-Mart knows what it is getting into! Indian shoppers have a completely different mind-set compared to Americans. I mean, imagine a nation of 1 billion RossMans :Q

Abhi

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2003
Originally posted by: athithi
Text

LOL, I hope Wal-Mart knows what it is getting into! Indian shoppers have a completely different mind-set compared to Americans. I mean, imagine a nation of 1 billion RossMans :Q

1 billion RossMans!!!! LOL

I totally agree.....

Oct 9, 1999
this is really bad for india..
good for business but bad for population of india, and the already poor people.. its going to put more people out of business. India doesnt have big box stores. small business make up the core society.. this is a very very bad idea.

Zysoclaplem

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2003
Originally posted by: TheGoodGuy
good for business but bad for population of india, and the already poor people.. its going to put more people out of business. India doesnt have big box stores. small business make up the core society.. this is a very very bad idea.

Maybe, but if walmart doesn't do something drastic like this quick, they are going to find themselves out of business.
I typed that with a straight face. :-D

Syringer

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001

It will also create a ton of jobs as well, and provide cheap goods to the poor/majority.

fallenangel99

Golden Member
Aug 8, 2001
Walmart will do ok in the major cities, but in the smaller cities/towns/villages, it is going to struggle mightily.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Originally posted by: Syringer

It will also create a ton of jobs as well, and provide cheap goods to the poor/majority.

and drive India?s small businesses out of business, due to Wal-Mart offering lower prices than the competitors because of bulk deals they make with manufacturers (like in America).

jadinolf

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
Originally posted by: athithi
Text

Oh, God forbid.:D