Wal-Mart Panhandlers Make More Than Employees

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

hanoverphist

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2006
Originally posted by: legoman666
I never have and never will give money to panhandlers. (unless theyre playing good music) Most I see here in the city don't look like they need the money. If you still have enough money for cigarettes, you're not in trouble yet.

and a cell phone, food in a back pack... i never give them money, ive known they were scammers since i was in HS doing the same thing for gas money. i didnt need it either, my fam was not rich but we always had cash, as well as me having a job. my daughter asked me what that mans sign said once when we stopped on a freeway off ramp. i told her it said he was too lazy to get a job, and wanted me to give him our money. he overheard me and started yelling, but i told him to get a job. of course my daughter was too young to even care what it really said, and forgot about it after the guy started yelling and acting like a jackass.

Originally posted by: ShadowOfMyself
Originally posted by: jpeyton
Originally posted by: BurnItDwn
Originally posted by: legoman666
I never have and never will give money to panhandlers. (unless theyre playing good music) Most I see here in the city don't look like they need the money. If you still have enough money for cigarettes, you're not in trouble yet.

IMO, The ones playing music aren't "panhandlers" they are "independent artists" :)
Indeed, anyone remember this video?

That was awesome

Its a shame how artists almost always get the shaft (exception being the super famous ones)

ive given cash to good street musicians before. in az you have to get a permit to perform on the street, and theres way too many cops around to try to pull it off without one. if i enjoyed the show, they earned a bit. theres a punkrockgirl that hangs out in front of the convenience store by my house asking for change, but she offers caricatures/ art services for it. i think thats a good slant on it too. how cool would it be to have a street bought caricature signed if she ever turned into a real arteest? lol

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
Originally posted by: jjsole
Originally posted by: jjsole
$300/day is bs. Maybe its been done during the generous holiday season a few times, but $1500-$2100 a week would be a dillusional assumption. Stories like this are for sensationalization, but w/o releasing more data from the study, its for societal drama queens to assimilate at best.
Assuming a panhandler sits outside from 8AM to 8PM (take several five minute breaks to walk inside and use the restroom, buy food, etc.), they have to earn $25 in handouts per hour.

Wal-Marts, especially those outside population centers, are the "hub" of communities. They get incredibly high foot traffic. I don't see $25 per hour as being far-fetched.

I don't see you being a societal drama queen that far fetched either. ;)

A few 5 minute breaks over 12 hours [of standing], making a $1 every couple minutes...WTF are you smoking?? Don't be so gullible. Nothing personal. For that matter, I've never even seen someone asking for money outside a Walmart, except girl scouts etc. Now that's a racket...what they sell those cookies for now should be considered felonious.

it might not happen in front of walmart but i can sure as shit tell you that some, panhandlers do make that kind of money, they are all over in Boston and i chatted with one of them one day when i was bored and it was cold, he said he averaged around 200$ a day, and people would always buy him coffee as he was right near a DD, he woudl just sit there with a cup in his lap and people would be constantly putting change or $ bills in it

Syringer

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Someone who works a standard 8 hours a day would have to make well over $40/hour to match this--or $80k a year when you consider taxes and all.

Gibson486

Lifer
Aug 9, 2000
Originally posted by: Fritzo
Ummm..$300 is more than "I" make in a day. I like how they spin the story to make it look like Walmart employees make less than beggars.

I know...they also do not even touch supermarket workers that make the same rate as walmart employees.

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
I'm not surprised if a small percentage of panhandlers make this money. But the huge majority of them are truely poor though.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Just keep this in mind next time you're thinking about giving a cash handout to a panhandler.

Text

COOS BAY, Ore. - A police survey says panhandlers outside Wal-Mart in Coos Bay can make $300 a day. Inside, it takes a clerk a week to make that much.

Police say people who have a problem with that needn't look to the law - asking for money is considered protected free speech.

Coos Bay authorities say most panhandlers are not criminals.

Coos Bay Police Captain Rodger Craddock says most have lived in the city a long time and they actually have homes. Craddock says, "This is just their chosen profession."

He says most are docile, and that people should report those who are not.

Bob More, director of housing and emergency services at South Coast Community Action, says many panhandlers are there for the money - to feed their addictions.

He suggested a voucher system involving tickets people could give that are good for a meal or bed in a shelter.

wtf? so what if pan handling is free speech. walmart is PRIVATE property. WTF?!

300/8 = $37.50/hr! :Q

so how long does it take them for $300?!

xSkyDrAx

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2003
Originally posted by: JEDI
Just keep this in mind next time you're thinking about giving a cash handout to a panhandler.

Text

COOS BAY, Ore. - A police survey says panhandlers outside Wal-Mart in Coos Bay can make $300 a day. Inside, it takes a clerk a week to make that much.

Police say people who have a problem with that needn't look to the law - asking for money is considered protected free speech.

Coos Bay authorities say most panhandlers are not criminals.

Coos Bay Police Captain Rodger Craddock says most have lived in the city a long time and they actually have homes. Craddock says, "This is just their chosen profession."

He says most are docile, and that people should report those who are not.

Bob More, director of housing and emergency services at South Coast Community Action, says many panhandlers are there for the money - to feed their addictions.

He suggested a voucher system involving tickets people could give that are good for a meal or bed in a shelter.

wtf? so what if pan handling is free speech. walmart is PRIVATE property. WTF?!

300/8 = $37.50/hr! :Q

so how long does it take them for $300?!

I really wonder sometimes how possible this is. It would be cool to have a little experiment and do it for a week to see how much you can come out with. I mean there doesn't seem to be some kind of science to it, just find a good spot and look as raggedy as you can. I mean do this for a while, invest it wisely and retire early tax free! :p

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
Originally posted by: BKLounger
that is such bullcrap. That the people begging for money are making more than the people who actually work for it. This is why people should learn don't give a damn thing to people begging for change. Donate money directly to a shelter or charity instead.

Yup. I totally agree. But make sure you do your homework first...a charity isn't much good if 99% of their donations go to bureaucratic overhead and fundraising.

Originally posted by: Fritzo
Ummm..$300 is more than "I" make in a day. I like how they spin the story to make it look like Walmart employees make less than beggars.

If the numbers are true, Walmart employees ARE making less than beggars. The misconception is that beggars don't make a lot of money.

Do you know what's really messed up? I got my W2s the other day...and if I get accepted into grad school for next year, that'll be a pay RAISE.:)

ArmchairAthlete

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2002
Originally posted by: shinerburke
I carry monopoly money in my car and when one of these dirt bags wanders up to my window while I'm stopped at an intersection I give it to them. Always make them really beg for it first though. Pure entertainment in that shit when afterward you hand them a nice red or blue "dollar bill"

Pretty funny idea, except when a mentally disturbed one smacks your car with a beer bottle or something. What are you gonna do about it? He'll probably vanish into some alley.

conehead433

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2002
Apparently they get permission at my nearest WM. People will set up a table with an offering jar and some stupid sign that says 'Help the poor' or 'Help the blind' or 'Help the homeless' or Help abused children' or 'Help our church'. If you saw the people doing the collecting you would have a hard time believing any of them were legitimate.

Set up collection operation in front of WM. Profit!

redly

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2004
If someone ever tried to pan handle me at WalMart, I would stab them with a jagged Sams Choice Diet Cola can

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
I Don't know who the people are that keep giving money away. Everyone should just stop for a week or month and they'd all go away.

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
Originally posted by: AudiPorsche
They caught some women in Toronto, who was making 80-90k a year panhandling as a job. She lived out in the suburbs in a decent house...drove in each morning and did her thing.

Toronto's infamous 'Shaky Lady'

An elderly Toronto panhandler known as the "Shaky Lady" held a press conference Monday at her Bay St. lawyer's office to dispute a media report alleging she rakes in thousands of dollars a week and lives in a comfortable apartment with her family.

The Toronto Sun reported last week that Margita Bangova, who claims to tremble because of a medical condition, collects about $2,500 a week by begging on a downtown street corner.

Bangova spoke through an interpreter at the press conference.

"She's saying that because she really suffers that when she was sitting on the street it was not comfortable and agreeable. Sometimes there was snow, wet, and so on. It was not a pleasure for her...sitting," the interpreter said.

A Sun writer said he recently watched her take in at least $500 in five hours and that Bangova's shaking quickly disappeared as she walked briskly to a waiting car at the end of the day.

Bangova lives with her son and his three children in a one-bedroom apartment with leather furniture, a big screen TV, and computer, according to media reports.

The Sun reported that Bangova hired Hochberg last summer to help her with a refugee claim.

Hochberg refused to say who was paying his fees.

A homeless person... Holding a press conference with a Bay St. lawyer and interpreter. Convincing. :p

aplefka

Lifer
Feb 29, 2004
I'll still probably give money. It's just my nature. People who I didn't know have helped me out in the past in one way or another. Financial help is very minimal compared to some of the help I've had, so why not throw somebody a buck or two?

Some of you guys are stingy motherfuckers.

Turin39789

Lifer
Nov 21, 2000
for all you gullible fools who thing this is standard, go spend $.47 on an outfit and try it for a day.

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
It's tempting! lol...

I'm afraid if I made good money, though, I wouldn't be able to stop. :

;)

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
Originally posted by: aplefka
I'll still probably give money. It's just my nature. People who I didn't know have helped me out in the past in one way or another. Financial help is very minimal compared to some of the help I've had, so why not throw somebody a buck or two?

I donate directly to organizations which have the resources to ensure that the needy get their help and the not-needy don't.

aplefka

Lifer
Feb 29, 2004
Originally posted by: jagec
Originally posted by: aplefka

I donate directly to organizations which have the resources to ensure that the needy get their help and the not-needy don't.

Then clearly I am not referring to you.