Wal-Mart Panhandlers Make More Than Employees

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Just keep this in mind next time you're thinking about giving a cash handout to a panhandler.

Text

COOS BAY, Ore. - A police survey says panhandlers outside Wal-Mart in Coos Bay can make $300 a day. Inside, it takes a clerk a week to make that much.

Police say people who have a problem with that needn't look to the law - asking for money is considered protected free speech.

Coos Bay authorities say most panhandlers are not criminals.

Coos Bay Police Captain Rodger Craddock says most have lived in the city a long time and they actually have homes. Craddock says, "This is just their chosen profession."

He says most are docile, and that people should report those who are not.

Bob More, director of housing and emergency services at South Coast Community Action, says many panhandlers are there for the money - to feed their addictions.

He suggested a voucher system involving tickets people could give that are good for a meal or bed in a shelter.

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
I carry monopoly money in my car and when one of these dirt bags wanders up to my window while I'm stopped at an intersection I give it to them. Always make them really beg for it first though. Pure entertainment in that shit when afterward you hand them a nice red or blue "dollar bill"

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
I remember some informal studies a year back by some college students that gave panhandling a shot. Some of them pulled in over $50k.

Straight cash homey.

BKLounger

Golden Member
Mar 29, 2006
that is such bullcrap. That the people begging for money are making more than the people who actually work for it. This is why people should learn don't give a damn thing to people begging for change. Donate money directly to a shelter or charity instead.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
I wasn't aware the police were qualified to make a survey of the homeless.
Hmm, I wonder what methodology they used?

"Hey you, you make 300 a day, right?"

legoman666

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2003
I never have and never will give money to panhandlers. (unless theyre playing good music) Most I see here in the city don't look like they need the money. If you still have enough money for cigarettes, you're not in trouble yet.

Descartes

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I've known this for years. They're all over in just about every city. In downtown Atlanta they crawl on anyone coming out of the train station.

In Cleveland, there was a man that always stood on the corner of Euclid and 10th (I think--it's where the Huntington building is). He was there every single day, be it rain, snow or anything else. He's say, "Good morning, God bless" to everyone that walked by in the mornings. I read in the Cleveland paper that he once made as much as $70k with his efforts.

Descartes

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: legoman666
I never have and never will give money to panhandlers. (unless theyre playing good music) Most I see here in the city don't look like they need the money. If you still have enough money for cigarettes, you're not in trouble yet.

I admit that I used to be enough of a sucker to give money. I stopped when I was threatened by one man and cursed out by many more. That attitude isn't good for business...

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

IMO, The ones playing music aren't "panhandlers" they are "independent artists" :)

jpeyton

Aug 23, 2003
Originally posted by: BurnItDwn

IMO, The ones playing music aren't "panhandlers" they are "independent artists" :)
Indeed, anyone remember this video?

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
Originally posted by: edro
I have never seen a panhandler at Wal*Mart before.

same here.

how long before they try to collect taxes on those $300/wk panhandlers? :confused:

jpeyton

Aug 23, 2003
Originally posted by: moshquerade
Originally posted by: edro
I have never seen a panhandler at Wal*Mart before.

same here.

how long before they try to collect taxes on those $300/wk panhandlers? :confused:
It being an all cash business with no record keeping, my guess is these panhandlers went "off-grid" a while ago.

Hard to collect taxes when the IRS doesn't see any income.

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
$300/day is bs. Maybe its been done during the generous holiday season a few times, but $1500-$2100 a week would be a dillusional assumption. Stories like this are for sensationalization, but w/o releasing more data from the study, its for societal drama queens to assimilate at best.

ShadowOfMyself

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2006
Originally posted by: jpeyton
Originally posted by: BurnItDwn

Indeed, anyone remember this video?

That was awesome

Its a shame how artists almost always get the shaft (exception being the super famous ones)

jpeyton

Aug 23, 2003
Originally posted by: jjsole
$300/day is bs. Maybe its been done during the generous holiday season a few times, but $1500-$2100 a week would be a dillusional assumption. Stories like this are for sensationalization, but w/o releasing more data from the study, its for societal drama queens to assimilate at best.
Assuming a panhandler sits outside from 8AM to 8PM (take several five minute breaks to walk inside and use the restroom, buy food, etc.), they have to earn $25 in handouts per hour.

Wal-Marts, especially those outside population centers, are the "hub" of communities. They get incredibly high foot traffic. I don't see $25 per hour as being far-fetched.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Assuming a panhandler sits outside from 8AM to 8PM (take several five minute breaks to walk inside and use the restroom, buy food, etc.), they have to earn $25 in handouts per hour.

Wal-Marts, especially those outside population centers, are the "hub" of communities. They get incredibly high foot traffic. I don't see $25 per hour as being far-fetched.

Panhandlers aren't going to be standing outside a Walmart for 12 hours a day. An avg of $25/hr is far-fetched.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Ummm..$300 is more than "I" make in a day. I like how they spin the story to make it look like Walmart employees make less than beggars.

Josh

Lifer
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: Fritzo
Ummm..$300 is more than "I" make in a day. I like how they spin the story to make it look like Walmart employees make less than beggars.

:laugh:

In all seriousness though, this thread has come up a few times and apparently the consensus is the average panhandler can make a damn good living if he /she didn't spend it on drugs/alcohol/etc...I'm about to re-think my career path :p

Lithium381

Lifer
May 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Fritzo

it's really not that far from the truth.....i've had friends that have worked there, they say it's like slave labor going on up in there.

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000

I don't see you being a societal drama queen that far fetched either. ;)

A few 5 minute breaks over 12 hours [of standing], making a $1 every couple minutes...WTF are you smoking?? Don't be so gullible. Nothing personal. For that matter, I've never even seen someone asking for money outside a Walmart, except girl scouts etc. Now that's a racket...what they sell those cookies for now should be considered felonious.

ViviTheMage

Lifer
Dec 12, 2002
madgenius.com
Originally posted by: shinerburke
I carry monopoly money in my car and when one of these dirt bags wanders up to my window while I'm stopped at an intersection I give it to them. Always make them really beg for it first though. Pure entertainment in that shit when afterward you hand them a nice red or blue "dollar bill"

:thumbsup:

AudiPorsche

Nov 2, 2000
They caught some women in Toronto, who was making 80-90k a year panhandling as a job. She lived out in the suburbs in a decent house...drove in each morning and did her thing.