Wal-Mart no longer taking Mastercard Check Cards

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Gravity

Diamond Member
Mar 21, 2003
Originally posted by: Dissipate
Your bank charges you for debit transactions? I suggest you change banks because you are getting ripped off. Most banks (including mine) I have heard of don't charge at all for debit transactions, only to withdraw cash from an ATM.

My bank has no charges for debits and no charges for atm. Also, if you incur a charge from another banks atm, my bank will pay for that too!! IT's compass bank, btw.

Dissipate

Diamond Member
Jan 17, 2004
Originally posted by: Gravity
Your bank charges you for debit transactions? I suggest you change banks because you are getting ripped off. Most banks (including mine) I have heard of don't charge at all for debit transactions, only to withdraw cash from an ATM.

My bank has no charges for debits and no charges for atm. Also, if you incur a charge from another banks atm, my bank will pay for that too!! IT's compass bank, btw.

That's sweet. Cool bank man.

rahvin

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Wag
Can they still accept Mastercard credit cards, but not Mastercard check cards? How is that legal?
It's legal- a vendor must take cash, but other than that they can take whatever form of payment they want. Now it is against Mastercard policy to take one form of payment and deny the other. So if they take "Mastercard" they're required to take the check cards, along with the CCs and Debit cards. I bet you Mastercard makes an exception for Wal-Mart.

As for Debit Card fees, as I said, I think most "free checking" accounts are limited, so they charge you fees for as much as possible. I have yet to find a "free checking" account at any bank that doesn't charge a fee for debit card useage away from the bank. When I am lucky enough to find a bank that suits my needs, they get bought up by a bank I tried to get away from (Citizens mainly).

Must take cash? Try again kiddo. A place of business can refuse any form of payment they want including cash.

rahvin

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Wag
Can they still accept Mastercard credit cards, but not Mastercard check cards? How is that legal?
It's legal- a vendor must take cash, but other than that they can take whatever form of payment they want. Now it is against Mastercard policy to take one form of payment and deny the other. So if they take "Mastercard" they're required to take the check cards, along with the CCs and Debit cards. I bet you Mastercard makes an exception for Wal-Mart.

As for Debit Card fees, as I said, I think most "free checking" accounts are limited, so they charge you fees for as much as possible. I have yet to find a "free checking" account at any bank that doesn't charge a fee for debit card useage away from the bank. When I am lucky enough to find a bank that suits my needs, they get bought up by a bank I tried to get away from (Citizens mainly).

Must take cash? Try again kiddo. A place of business can refuse any form of payment they want including cash.

nutxo

Diamond Member
May 20, 2001

my last 3 have charged for debit transactions

nutxo

Diamond Member
May 20, 2001
Originally posted by: gsaldivar
Originally posted by: NightCrawler
Walmart is the Devil. They are the worst Corporation on Earth when it comes to abusing there employee's.

For example...........?

seach p&n , plenty about walmart in here

C'DaleRider

Jan 13, 2000
Originally posted by: jm0ris0n
Wal-Mart = Always Low Priced Evil. But honestly by accepting check cards the merchant pays a rate (If I can Recall) somewhere between 1.25~3% per transaction.

That is a lot of money !

Actually, most merchant accounts do a flat fee charge for each debit card transaction. Our shop gets hit with .35 per transaction and we're a very small shop....so no matter what the debit charge is, we pay .35 for that, but in the end, it comes out much cheaper than the percentage charged when using credit cards. We prefer debit much more over credit cards. However, large companies, like Wal-Mart get a much lower per transaction fee due to their volume.

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001
Originally posted by: Strk
Come Feb they will only allow you to use it as a Debit Card (ie- input code) which for most people incurs a fee (my bank charges $1.50). This is BS because it's really no different from writing a check.

Look for alot more people writing checks (as if the Wal-Mart lines aren't slow enough already).

-meant to put this in OT, but I guess it will do here.

There is an easy way around that, don't shop at Wal-Mart.
[Insert emoticon for agreeing here]