Wal-Mart denies that it told employees how to vote

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
In the past decade it has been the Church and Corporations dictating the vote mainly from the lobbying level (and I'm sure buying the Electoral College too).

Now a single Corporation with the largest pool of voters in the U.S. holds the coutry in the palm of their hands.

The article says Walmart deies trying to influence yet right in the article Walmart admits the have "discussed" this with it's employees. I'm sure these "discussions" are not rising to te level of waterboarding but is it appropriate for them at all?

I'm sure there are many that are ok with this.

8-1-2008 Wal-Mart denies that it told employees how to vote

Wal-Mart Stores Inc., the world's largest retailer, denied a report Friday that it had pressured employees to vote against Democrats in November because of worries that a bill the party supports would make it easier for workers to unionize.

The measure, called the Employee Free Choice Act, would allow labor organizations to unionize workplaces without secret ballot elections. It was co-sponsored by Barack Obama, the presumed Democratic presidential candidate, and opposed by John McCain, the presumed Republican nominee.

Wal-Mart spokesman Dave Tovar told The Associated Press that the company did discuss the bill with its employees, including what it sees as the negative impact, and noted that the company's stand on the legislation is no secret.

"We believe the Employee Free Choice Act is a bad bill and we have been on the record as opposed to it," he said.

In the past, Wal-Mart had lined up with the Republicans.

Wal-Mart Watch, a union-backed group that has criticized the company for what it calls skimpy pay and benefits and poor treatment of its workers, said in a statement that the article "demonstrates once again that Wal-Mart intimidates its workers." The group, which supplied some of the sources to The Wall Street Journal, said the stories cited in the article are "consistent" with numerous reports it has received in the past week.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
I'm perfectly fine with it. Wal-mart is simply telling their folks what they think is best for them and for the company. They are not forcing anyone to vote in a particular way, they just don't want to have their company screwed up by unions. No problem.

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
The "Employee Free Choice Act" is definitely a bad bill. It removes secret ballot votes and allows Union organizers to approach workers multiple times to convince them to sign a card saying they want to unionize. In other words, they'll keep approaching workers until they harangue them into signing the cards.

There needs to be mechanisms in place to protect employees from being pressured by companies AND union organizers so that they can make their own decision. The "Employee Free Choice Act" isn't it.

edit: It should also be clarified that the employees that Wal-Mart is reported to have met with are store managers and supervisors.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: PokerGuy
I'm perfectly fine with it. Wal-mart is simply telling their folks what they think is best for them and for the company. They are not forcing anyone to vote in a particular way, they just don't want to have their company screwed up by unions. No problem.

Exactly. Nothing wrong with the company pointing out where it stands and encouraging workers to take the issue into consideration.

At my previous employer I contributed to their PAC and the ramifications of certain issues and where candidates at all levels stood was communicated. That's a good thing.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
Originally posted by: Queasy
The "Employee Free Choice Act" is definitely a bad bill. It removes secret ballot votes and allows Union organizers to approach workers multiple times to convince them to sign a card saying they want to unionize. In other words, they'll keep approaching workers until they harangue them into signing the cards.

There needs to be mechanisms in place to protect employees from being pressured by companies AND union organizers so that they can make their own decision. The "Employee Free Choice Act" isn't it.

edit: It should also be clarified that the employees that Wal-Mart is reported to have met with are store managers and supervisors.

I agree.

cubeless

Diamond Member
Sep 17, 2001
ah jeeze... didn't the "union can intimidate workers oughtright to bolster their ranks act" get killed fair and square already???

walmart absolutely has a right to inform their employees about what it believes is best for the business. find another company to work for if your interests aren't aligned with the company's...

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Many companies attempt to inform their empoyees on how political actions can impcat their workplace.

It is then up to the employees to determine which option is in their best interest.

You know that those that are opposing WalMart will never present the other side - therefore WalMart must.

Queasy

Aug 24, 2001
Originally posted by: Common Courtesy
Many companies attempt to inform their empoyees on how political actions can impcat their workplace.

It is then up to the employees to determine which option is in their best interest.

You know that those that are opposing WalMart will never present the other side - therefore WalMart must.

Exactly. When I worked for Equifax, we got emails and notices every time a major piece of legislation was coming through that would affect the credit industry. And I was just a lowly peon at the time.

miketheidiot

Lifer
Sep 3, 2004
Originally posted by: cubeless
ah jeeze... didn't the "union can intimidate workers oughtright to bolster their ranks act" get killed fair and square already???

walmart absolutely has a right to inform their employees about what it believes is best for the business. find another company to work for if your interests aren't aligned with the company's...

your interests: get paid as much as possible

their interests: pay you as little as possible

????:confused:

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: miketheidiot

Exactly. Hopefully the commoners realize what's good for the corporation isn't necessarily what's good for the workers.

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
You guys seem to be ignoring completely Walmarts history of trying to intimidate their employees against unionizing.

Queasy

Aug 24, 2001
Originally posted by: ayabe
You guys seem to be ignoring completely Walmarts history of trying to intimidate their employees against unionizing.

Yes, so let's enact a bill that allows union organizers to intimidate employees into unionizing. That seems fair. Secret ballots are stupid and undemocratic.

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005

Yes, so let's enact a bill that allows union organizers to intimidate employees into unionizing. That seems fair. Secret ballots are stupid and undemocratic.

I didn't say that, so way to infer and respond to an imaginary point.

Walmart has an abysmal history with this and since NONE of us were there, I will rely on the people who were and said,

"a Wal-Mart customer-service supervisor from Missouri told the paper. "I am not a stupid person. They were telling me how to vote."

To your imaginary point, yeah let's continue to allow large corporations like Walmart to intimidate employees into NOT unionizing, that's fair.

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000

What the hell do Walmart employees need a union for??? You stand at the door and hand out stickers to kids, or *gasp* run a cash register. Some even stock shelves!

It requires no more talent than working at McDonald's...maybe even less...what makes you think they deserve more than what Walmart pays them?

cubeless

Diamond Member
Sep 17, 2001
Originally posted by: Robor

Exactly. Hopefully the commoners realize what's good for the corporation isn't necessarily what's good for the workers.

yeah... let's shutdown walmart!!! that'll benefit everybody!!!

and you are certainly confused... a publicly traded corporation's job is to make money for its shareholders... labor is just like any other cost, of course they are supposed to minimize it... if they minimize it too much they fail, if they pay too much for it they fail...

all the people who've never tried to run a business but have profited (been paid) by someone else's effort in running a business don't have too much of value to say here...

go have mommy and daddy give you 'free' things, while some of us are trying to run a business which employs people and is hopefully going to keep doing so...

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
That aside - this bill is TERRIBLE. It basically allows unions to continually pressure and harass employees until they do what they want. Terrible, terrible, terrible.

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Originally posted by: Deeko
That aside - this bill is TERRIBLE. It basically allows unions to continually pressure and harass employees until they do what they want. Terrible, terrible, terrible.

LIES! LIES! LIES!

Nothing The Obama is for can be bad for the proletariat....errr.....people.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
If unions can tell employees who to vote for, why can't the corporation who hires the union worker? Why should one imaginary entity have more rights than another imaginary entity?

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Originally posted by: BoberFett
If unions can tell employees who to vote for, why can't the corporation who hires the union worker? Why should one imaginary entity have more rights than another imaginary entity?

Because one only has the best interest of the proletariat in mind, the other serves the godless bourgeoisie.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005

I didn't say that, so way to infer and respond to an imaginary point.

Walmart has an abysmal history with this and since NONE of us were there, I will rely on the people who were and said,

"a Wal-Mart customer-service supervisor from Missouri told the paper. "I am not a stupid person. They were telling me how to vote."

To your imaginary point, yeah let's continue to allow large corporations like Walmart to intimidate employees into NOT unionizing, that's fair.

The person felt that they were telling him how to vote. My guess is that was his interpretation, nobody ever told him "vote for McCain", they probably said "this is a terrible bill for xyz reasons, don't vote for the person backing this bill". Nobody is going into the voting booth with you, you can vote for whomever you want. In fact, if Wal-Mart fired everyone who claimed to support a certain candidate they would be within their rights to do so, but that would drive them out of business so they don't.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Robor

yeah... let's shutdown walmart!!! that'll benefit everybody!!!

and you are certainly confused... a publicly traded corporation's job is to make money for its shareholders... labor is just like any other cost, of course they are supposed to minimize it... if they minimize it too much they fail, if they pay too much for it they fail...

all the people who've never tried to run a business but have profited (been paid) by someone else's effort in running a business don't have too much of value to say here...

go have mommy and daddy give you 'free' things, while some of us are trying to run a business which employs people and is hopefully going to keep doing so...

One of us is certainly confused and it's not me. Show me where I said anything about shutting down WalMart. Show me where I even said anything bad about WalMart or corporations making money. This thread is about a corporation telling their employees how to vote. As I said, just because the (R)'s may benefit WalMart it doesn't mean the (R)'s will benefit the workers. Simple enough for you that time?

cubeless

Diamond Member
Sep 17, 2001
you're right, i'm confused... i often use the cummutative property on statements to see if they still make sense... so

Exactly. Hopefully the commoners realize what's good for the workers isn't necessarily what's good for the corporation.

works for me... payng too much for labor can kill a company...

and the thread is about a company informing workers about the effect of legislation and potential legislation on the company, not telling them how to vote...

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
you're right, i'm confused... i often use the cummutative property on statements to see if they still make sense... so

Exactly. Hopefully the commoners realize what's good for the workers isn't necessarily what's good for the corporation.

works for me... payng too much for labor can kill a company...

Fine. Those who own 'the corporation' can vote in their best interests as I'm sure they will. I'll vote in my best interests because when - not if - the corporation can do away with my job to save a $ they will. As a result of poor management decisions I've been laid off 2x in the past 4 years. The first time I had 18 1/2 years with the company and a spotless work record. I and the other 'commoners' laid off got our weak severance packages (1 week per year capped at 6) while the execs who ran the company into the ground cashed in golden parachutes (1 year salary).

and the thread is about a company informing workers about the effect of legislation and potential legislation on the company, not telling them how to vote...

They can't force them to vote one way or the other but the effort to influence admitted. You know, 'We're just making you aware of what the Democrats are trying to do - wink, wink'.