Wake On LAN - Stop Working After Around An Hour Sleeping?

Pizzimperfect

Oct 22, 2014
Hi All,

I have a DD-WRT configured router, acting as a client bridge on my home network.
After a day or two messing around, I managed to get Wake On LAN (Although, I'm using it to wake the system externally) working.

I woke the system twice and it worked great. Though i've noticed that if I leave the PC sleeping for 30 mins - an hour... It will no longer wake.

Any ideas on what could be causing this?

Thanks,

Pete

KingFatty

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2010
I think that part of the sleep state specification is that the computer can transition from one sleep state to the deeper sleep state after a given time. Also, the deeper sleep state specifies that the computer will power down the part that is needed to response to wake on lan. So the solution would be to disable the super-deep sleep state. Sorry I don't have the specific terminology, but it's by design that the deep sleep state will remove power from the part that is needed to respond to WOL, so your computer is probably acting properly.

imagoon

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2003
Can be either. Sometimes the drivers for the nic let you change it in the properties sheet. Try unchecking "turn this device off to save power."

Pizzimperfect

Oct 22, 2014
The options on my NIC properties 'Power Management' are

Respond to ARP Requests without waking system (ON)
Respond to NS Requests without waking system (ON)
Energy Efficient Ethernet (ON)
Reduce Link Speed During Standby (ON)
Reduce Link Speed During System Idle (ON)

Wake On Magic Packet (ON)
Wake On Pattern Match (ON)
Wake On Magic Packet From Power Off (S5) State (ON)
Wake On Link Settings (ON)

I can't seem to find anything relevant in the BIOS :/

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
There is No real save in keeping these two On.

Reduce Link Speed During Standby (ON)
Reduce Link Speed During System Idle (ON)

------------------------
If the WOL is done only on LAN.

Try to use this free App. It works very well. It is a small portable App so it can be put on all Network computer.

Configure it while all computers on so that you can save each IP and MAC number.

Thereafter you can Easily WOL any computer from ay computer.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/wakemeonlan.html

-----------------------------

If it is over the Internet then it is a different story in most cases it has to do with the Router capability.

:cool:

Last edited:

Pizzimperfect

Oct 22, 2014
It is over the Internet I'm trying to get this working on. Years ago I had this working on a system, but back then routers, motherboards and network cards were much simpler!

QuietDad

Dec 18, 2005
Turn these OFF:

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Turn these OFF:

I was getting ready to suggest that this sounds like the ARP table is losing entries because the PC is off for 30 minutes. If the above doesn't work, it might be possible to pace the MAC addresses of the PC's into a permanent ARP table in the router so that it responds whether it sees the PC or not (I think your suggestions above do this though...just not 100% sure).

Anyway, if this doesn't work, I'll look up the Tomato fixes (scripts that run iptables commands on startup) to fix this issue (assuming that they can be run on DD-WRT).

If the above doesn't work, look at "Edit 2" of this post: http://forums.anandtech.com/showpost.php?p=27324103&postcount=79

By the way, I think this is intended to work on the 'main router' running DD-WRT (not sure if that's the case here). Don't know that it will work on the client bridge running DD-WRT.

Last edited:

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
The Main Router has to have WOL capacity (DD-WRT has it) and configured specifically with the Mac and the IP of the computer to be Awake.

IP should be in the Reservation table of the DHCP or static IP out of the DHCP range.

:cool:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I was getting ready to suggest that this sounds like the ARP table is losing entries because the PC is off for 30 minutes. If the above doesn't work, it might be possible to pace the MAC addresses of the PC's into a permanent ARP table in the router so that it responds whether it sees the PC or not (I think your suggestions above do this though...just not 100% sure).

Anyway, if this doesn't work, I'll look up the Tomato fixes (scripts that run iptables commands on startup) to fix this issue (assuming that they can be run on DD-WRT).

If the above doesn't work, look at "Edit 2" of this post: http://forums.anandtech.com/showpost.php?p=27324103&postcount=79

By the way, I think this is intended to work on the 'main router' running DD-WRT (not sure if that's the case here). Don't know that it will work on the client bridge running DD-WRT.

I think that you are on to something here. There was a change in either DD-wrt or Tomato a while back, that affected ARP when using a bridge. Basically, some things broke, and you needed to add static ARP entries, if I remember right.

Pizzimperfect

Oct 22, 2014
When setting it up in DD-WRT, using guides online etc.. I did enter this under startup commands..

arp -i br0 -s 192.168.0.254 FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF

Is this what you're referring to?

The IP above points to an address which is not assigned to any device, as directed by the guide.

Thank you for all your help, everyone!

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
When setting it up in DD-WRT, using guides online etc.. I did enter this under startup commands..

Is this what you're referring to?

The IP above points to an address which is not assigned to any device, as directed by the guide.

Thank you for all your help, everyone!

That looks about like what Gillbot and I entered (from the above posted thread) years ago so I assume that's correct.

Are you trying to wake on lan using the main router's wake on lan feature or are you trying to wake the remote PC across the Internet using a utility (WAN)?