"Waiting for Origin to shut down" Whenever I shut down my PC?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Hoover1979

Apr 24, 2017
When I shut down my windows 7 PC I get this

"The following programs are preventing windows from shutting down

Origin.exe"

if I don't hit the force close button my windows never shuts down. as a test when I retired for the night and went to shut down windows and got that screen, I just turned off the monitor and went to bed. 9hrs later I hit the monitors power button and saw:

"The following programs are preventing windows from shutting down

Origin.exe"

This is annoying. If I try to shut down Origin or even end it's process/process tree in task manager it refuses to shut down. the only way to end origin is hitting that force close all apps button on the page telling me that Origin is the only program on my machine that won't let windows shut down.

This and the frequent server outages caused by the brain dameaged rhesis monkeys operating EA's servers, and not being able to play even single-player games during these times as all I get is "failed to connect to the EA servers" I am sick and tired of Origin. EA needs to crawl back to Steam and beg for forgivness and get their games back on Steam as origin is a total crapshoot and is nothing more than bloatware.

EDIT: I set up an account here so I could share my story and add to the wall of users that have Origin preventing their systems from shutting down.

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
Windows 10 forces Origin to close within a few seconds. Though I rarely see Origin halting the shutdown process.

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
I used to get the origin/steam thing from time to time on Windows 7/8, but not on 10. I think 10 is more aggressive about closing down programs when shutting down.

Malogeek

Golden Member
Mar 5, 2017
yaktribe.org
I receive the message on shutdown but it's only a couple of seconds before it's gone and the computer shuts down correctly. It's not preventing it from shutdown/restart.