Waiting for AIB Vega cards (w/Custom Coolers)? Well...be prepared to keep on waiting.

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

krumme

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2009
yes, I've been trying to sell the reference cooler design to others also... even though the 290 is an extreme example of loud blower design the reference Vega designs are plenty reasonable. it's certainly not as good a design as the NVIDIA reference cooler in terms of noise but quite an improvement.

out of all the AIB designs so far the only one I'd consider is the Sapphire NITRO; I don't plan to do so however
Its because rx56 uses 30% less power than the rx64. The blower is okey for the rx56. For the rx64 its a no go. They are not at all similar in practice for noise.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
I'd half agree with that... temps on my ref Vega on full load aren't great, but at the same time the noise is reasonable and other than the Destiny 2 crash (driver update fixed) I haven't had any major issues. I have my minimum fan speed set to 1600 and max to twice that at 3200. Would I prefer slightly lower temps? Sure, but for what it's worth I don't think the cooler is inadequate for the 64, per say.

As a side note I was playing Deus Ex earlier and some of the world geometry started freaking out but the game continued to play without a hitch; no artifacts. I did notice that title using very close to the maximum amount of video memory also.

ZGR

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2012
As a side note I was playing Deus Ex earlier and some of the world geometry started freaking out but the game continued to play without a hitch; no artifacts. I did notice that title using very close to the maximum amount of video memory also.

What resolution do you play at?

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
3440x1440

I think the highest level of texture cache uses all the memory; it even warns you if you enable it that it will use well above 4GB vram. gotta get my money's worth though! :D

Reactions: krumme and ZGR

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
carbon fiber huh?

that should make the cooler easier to throw across the room and into the trash i suppose.

Reactions: Phynaz

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
So, I really like the pass through cooling design, should help a lot. But I doubt this cooler will even fit in my case because of how tall it is. And it is pretty ugly, although looks isnt too big of a deal inside of a case.

MajinCry

Platinum Member
Jul 28, 2015
Why the hell isn't AMD ramping up production? The reason the 290 was a disaster, is because it was only good for mining Bitcoin at the time. Now we have Monero, Ethereum, and a bunch of other cryptocurrencies eating up AMD's GPU grunt.

I should have bought that ASUS 480 back in February when it was £170. It's been almost a year since AMD's GPUs were at reasonable prices. Paaaaah.

MajinCry

Platinum Member
Jul 28, 2015
Crypto market is hilariosly volatile to warrant that.
AMD is not nVidia, their GPUs don't sell "just because".

But the price increases aren't like what happened before, where it was high for a couple months and then it crashed for a few months after.

https://www.coindesk.com/price/
https://www.worldcoinindex.com/coin/ethereum
https://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/monero/
https://www.worldcoinindex.com/coin/zcash
https://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/litecoin/

AMD doesn't have to double down like they did with the 290. Increase production by, say, 20%, and see how the market goes. Then increase it by another 20%. And on and on.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
Why the hell isn't AMD ramping up production? The reason the 290 was a disaster, is because it was only good for mining Bitcoin at the time. Now we have Monero, Ethereum, and a bunch of other cryptocurrencies eating up AMD's GPU grunt.

I should have bought that ASUS 480 back in February when it was £170. It's been almost a year since AMD's GPUs were at reasonable prices. Paaaaah.

I would imagine that they're using as much production as Global Foundries can muster at the moment (since Polaris and Vega share the same node as Ryzen) and they can turn a much better profit from their CPUs at the moment so it makes much more sense to allocate more production towards those.

Also keep in mind that the inflated prices don't result in additional profit for AMD unless they start charging the AIB manufacturers (or the retailers in the case of reference cards) more.

Despoiler

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2007
Yes, but these are Vega 64 prices. I am interested in the Vega 56 version, and in particular the one from Asus which has a DVI port.

Definitely want to see the V56 prices also. Power Color tends to be slightly more expensive than other brands. $550 is probably going to be the median price for the custom V64 cards.

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
Why isn't there a thread about Vega midrange potentially not coming? I think that's huge Vega info isn't it?

Shamrock

Golden Member
Oct 11, 1999
Oh? You say they're coming soon now? Really?
Lol, this thread is increasingly funny and sad all at the same time.

Nope, Newegg did. hehe. They will be out of stock within 2 minutes of arriving online.