Waiters make $120k/yr at Wolfgang Puck restaurants

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Good. People who bring me food so that I don't have to cook deserve the world :hearteyes:

SaltyNuts

Platinum Member
May 1, 2001
That's all? Damn, been decades since I was making that much lol. Thought they would have caught up a little bit more by now!!!

maluckey1

Mar 15, 2018
It's crazy that I have to PAY someone to carry the food that I ordered from the counter to my table.

Here's some other things I think are rather superfluous in most cases (WARNING! Some may find more than a bit of sarcasm here ;) ):

- I've successfully operated a motor vehicle since the early 1980's without widespread mayhem happening (don't need a chauffeur)
- I can operated the door on most any car, and know how to use my shoes without tripping over them (don't need parking attendant),
- I can read a menu, and most every time I check for a hot plate before trying to move it. (don't need a waiter)
- I've been in several pubs where it was honor system after the host went to bed. I managed to pull the tap handle without serious injury to myself or others (don't need a bar-tender)
- I've opened hundreds of wine bottles, and even sabered a few without causing an international incident with the general populace (don't need a sommelier)
- I can operated a bar of soap, wash my hands and place the disposable (or cloth) towel in the appropriate receptacle (don't need a bathroom attendant)
- I have managed without incident to push the correct elevator button without fail, thanks to public education teaching me numbers in first grade. (don't need an elevator operator)

I'm to assume that genuinely rich people can do none of these things. Some of them have man-servants to help dress them, trainers to help motivate them, and secretaries and assistants to help remember things for them. Because they are so busy doing nothing, they might have a major-domo to remember to maintain the house and staff.

Money is a social construct used in exchange for that which you lack (time, food, materials etc). Apparently those that dine at WP restaurants have either lost their collective minds, or feel for whatever reason that having others do their bidding suits them :)confused_old:).

In the end, service is worth what you value it be be worth. I paid a Medical Doctor for stitches a few times (I sometimes do that myself), and without a thought of the price paid the veterinarian to express the anal glands on a sick family pet.

It's all what it's worth to you at any given moment

M

SaltyNuts

Platinum Member
May 1, 2001
I'm sure people making well over 120k try to return gallon jugs of margaritas at Taco Cabana because they cost too much.

Yes. Smart people do smart things, like not let themselves get ripped off by scumbags, no matter how little money is involved. I'm sure you'd just say "OK, sir" and scuttle away with your tail between your legs, getting ripped off and out the money. Sorry, that dog don't hunt with smart people.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
It's crazy that I have to PAY someone to carry the food that I ordered from the counter to my table.

Here's some other things I think are rather superfluous in most cases (WARNING! Some may find more than a bit of sarcasm here ;) ):

- I've successfully operated a motor vehicle since the early 1980's without widespread mayhem happening (don't need a chauffeur)
- I can operated the door on most any car, and know how to use my shoes without tripping over them (don't need parking attendant),
- I can read a menu, and most every time I check for a hot plate before trying to move it. (don't need a waiter)
- I've been in several pubs where it was honor system after the host went to bed. I managed to pull the tap handle without serious injury to myself or others (don't need a bar-tender)
- I've opened hundreds of wine bottles, and even sabered a few without causing an international incident with the general populace (don't need a sommelier)
- I can operated a bar of soap, wash my hands and place the disposable (or cloth) towel in the appropriate receptacle (don't need a bathroom attendant)
- I have managed without incident to push the correct elevator button without fail, thanks to public education teaching me numbers in first grade. (don't need an elevator operator)

I'm to assume that genuinely rich people can do none of these things. Some of them have man-servants to help dress them, trainers to help motivate them, and secretaries and assistants to help remember things for them. Because they are so busy doing nothing, they might have a major-domo to remember to maintain the house and staff.

Money is a social construct used in exchange for that which you lack (time, food, materials etc). Apparently those that dine at WP restaurants have either lost their collective minds, or feel for whatever reason that having others do their bidding suits them :)confused_old:).

In the end, service is worth what you value it be be worth. I paid a Medical Doctor for stitches a few times (I sometimes do that myself), and without a thought of the price paid the veterinarian to express the anal glands on a sick family pet.

It's all what it's worth to you at any given moment

M
Don't worry, soon you will have your completely self-serve restaurant. Fully automated with no human labor, producing a perfect autonomous, isolated experience.

If I were to speculate, rich people's dinners usually will have some sort of social discussion, whatever they are.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Yes. Smart people do smart things, like not let themselves get ripped off by scumbags, no matter how little money is involved. I'm sure you'd just say "OK, sir" and scuttle away with your tail between your legs, getting ripped off and out the money. Sorry, that dog don't hunt with smart people.
They did nothing to rip you off, nothing. The fact that you made a stupid purchase and instantly regretted it is on you and no one else.

SaltyNuts

Platinum Member
May 1, 2001
They did nothing to rip you off, nothing. The fact that you made a stupid purchase and instantly regretted it is on you and no one else.

Wrong. I ordered several items and was quoted a price that sounded high, but I was not sure how much meat they were giving me and thus what was costing what. When I finally saw the bill, and realized that the vast majority of the cost was for the margaritas (and the amount of meat they sold me was barely enough for 2 people, we were still hungry), I instantly told them to hold off on those, and take them off my credit cart. But they refused, even though they had not made the margaritas, because they simply thought they could get away with it. That is a HORRIBLE, SCUMBAG business practice and I'm not going to let them get away with it. You'd let them take your money like that, I get it. That shows where you stand smarts wise. I'm absolutely not going to let get them away with that, sorry, I'm too smart for that.

VashHT

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2007
Lmao sure buddy, smart people don't waste their time on stupid things like arguing over a gallon jug of margarita. Imagine thinking whining at a fast food place about your purchase makes you smart.

Reactions: repoman0

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Wrong. I ordered several items and was quoted a price that sounded high, but I was not sure how much meat they were giving me and thus what was costing what. When I finally saw the bill, and realized that the vast majority of the cost was for the margaritas (and the amount of meat they sold me was barely enough for 2 people, we were still hungry), I instantly told them to hold off on those, and take them off my credit cart. But they refused, even though they had not made the margaritas, because they simply thought they could get away with it. That is a HORRIBLE, SCUMBAG business practice and I'm not going to let them get away with it. You'd let them take your money like that, I get it. That shows where you stand smarts wise. I'm absolutely not going to let get them away with that, sorry, I'm too smart for that.
You ordered margaritas. You paid for margaritas, You drove off with the margaritas. No rip off found. How does one get to be a smart person and not know that restaurants charge a lot for booze? Point of reference: the one and only time I ordered a pitcher of margaritas at a restaurant it cost over thirty bucks. That was in 1992. Adjusting for inflation, that's $57.81 in 2021 dollars. If you paid $35 for a gallon, you either got a good deal or really shitty booze. Either way, no one ripped you off. You just did something stupid.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Your post says you literally ordered a half pound of beef and a half pound of another meat. How did you not know how much meat you were getting?

RPD

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
JFC where is this said thread of saltyballz er nuts and his 10gallon margaritas?

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
JFC where is this said thread of saltyballz er nuts and his 10gallon margaritas?

RPD

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
So that like ordering a liter of cola?

RPD

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
Gallon of Margherita
maxresdefault.jpg