Wait or go for it?

TheDrake

Dec 5, 2006
I have narrowed down the DSLR I am getting to the K100D. I just cashed in my chase points for a $300 gift card at best buy and I checked bestbuy.com has it for $479 now vs $527 last week. So should I just get it or wait out until the newer models come out and prices to drop more?

For Ze lazy people, here is the link to best buy

AmigaMan

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
GO FOR IT! You won't regret it. Besides, which would you rather do, twiddle your thumbs while waiting to save maybe fifty more dollars, or be out and about enjoying your new camera? Life is too short, get the camera!!!

TheDrake

Dec 5, 2006
yeah, I am seriously about to pull the trigger. I am debating on the 4 year warranty that bestbuy has for $69.99. Is it even worth getting? I dont have any experience with bestbuy's warranties so any input would help decide. I figure $17.50 a month isnt that bad, but if the Pentax is that reliable then why even waste the money right?

fuzzybabybunny

Moderator<br>Digital & Video Cameras
Jan 2, 2006
Originally posted by: TheDrake
yeah, I am seriously about to pull the trigger. I am debating on the 4 year warranty that bestbuy has for $69.99. Is it even worth getting? I dont have any experience with bestbuy's warranties so any input would help decide. I figure $17.50 a month isnt that bad, but if the Pentax is that reliable then why even waste the money right?

Well.... the warranty probably works like this:

Your purchase is warranted for 4 years, but probably not from accidental damage, correct? Usually, if a camera functions fine right out of the box, it'll continue to function fine unless the shutter mechanism wears down, which can take a long time to do depending on how often you take pictures. The Rebel XT's shutter is rated at 50,000 actuations. The K100D is probably comparable. A shutter replacement is probably going to cost in the neighborhood of $200.

So if you plan on taking 50,000 pictures by the end of the extended warranty period, and you want to fix it instead of scrapping it when this happens, the extended warranty might be a good choice.

But also keep in mind that once you use the warranty service, it's most likely gone. Meaning if you pay for a 4 year warranty and get warranty service in just a year and a half, you've just used up your 4 year warranty. This could vary depending on the warranty. This is something that you're going to want to find out. Does the warranty cover possible multiple repairs over a 4 year span, or only one repair within a four year span?

TheDrake

Dec 5, 2006
Yeah, thats pretty much what I was thinking. Since its no accidental damage then its not too worth it to me and you can take it in as many times as you want within the 4 years. If you have to take it in a 3rd or 4th time then they typically replace it with a new camera if they have one or something comperable but not exceeding your purchase price.