Wait, nobody's posting on Intel's decision to unlock Core i7 Memory Multiplier and QPI

Woofmeister

Golden Member
Jul 18, 2004
Two words: Woo-Hoo!

New versions of production 940 and 920 Core i7s come with unlocked memory multipliers and PQI.

Not only can you change memory ratios on the boxed CPUs, but QPI can be adjusted to 6.4GT/s as well.

No, you still can't unlock the clock frequency multiplier and there's no Turbo mode; but the already tenuous rationale for spending $700 more for a 965 just took another big hit.

daw123

Platinum Member
Aug 30, 2008
Thank you Intel. Another kick in the arse for AMD.

Does this apply only to the D0 steppings?

If so then I'm confused, since it was my understanding that the D0 stepping 940 will be replaced by the 950? Just another reason for me to wait 3 months for the 950 to be replaced.

Am I still correct (from what I read on Fudzilla) that the 950s are due to be released in June 2009?

iCyborg

Golden Member
Aug 8, 2008
Originally posted by: daw123
Thank you Intel. Another kick in the arse for AMD.

Does this apply only to the D0 steppings?

If so then I'm confused, since it was my understanding that the D0 stepping 940 will be replaced by the 950? Just another reason for me to wait 3 months for the 950 to be replaced.

No, I believe it's true for all retail i7s (i.e. non-ES). I bought mine in December and was a bit puzzled that BIOS allowed me to set a multi higher than 8. Given my OC and RAM, I can't use more than 8, so I didn't pay much attention to it.

I wonder if RAM companies had something to do with this. Pretty much only i7 965 people would have a use for ddr3 at more than 1600 MHz (assuming that not many people buy Core 2 with ddr3 nowadays). And non-OCers would max at 1066.

Flipped Gazelle

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2004
Originally posted by: AdamK47
Am I missing something here? I already have those options in my BIOS.

Yeah, you've missed a couple of us saying that this is already a known attribute, by users of retail Core i7's. ;)