Wait, I thought Americans wanted security after 9/11?

Hugo Drax

Diamond Member
Nov 20, 2011
Everyone was screaming for it. Secure our planes from terrorists, secure our streets from them, Find them where they hide in our backyards, wars everywhere to kill them.

They asked for it they got it. Patriot act, NSA wiretaps and datataps, War on terror, More security in the airports, everyone checked etc..

So why the complaining now? You wanted this, well you got it.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Everyone was screaming for it. Secure our planes from terrorists, secure our streets from them, Find them where they hide in our backyards, wars everywhere to kill them.

They asked for it they got it. Patriot act, NSA wiretaps and datataps, War on terror, More security in the airports, everyone checked etc..

This is correct. However, we wanted security with more entitlements.

Unless I get my gubmit check, how can I be secure?

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000

links to us saying we all wanted this.

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011

Your memory is obviously much greater than mine, I recall in fact being opposed to Patriot Act right off the bat.

mistercrabby

Mar 9, 2013
sure ya did. in your heart of hearts, in the dark, on the plane, at the big event you want the cops and spec ops and the soe to know from whom to keep you and your loved ones safe. nsa, cia, nro, dia, etc try to figure that out for them. for you. for your family. whether you appreciate it or not. they want you to be safe. i want you to be safe too. :cool:

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
I think the OP is over-generalizing. "Everyone" did not, and does not, have the same opinion. Some people may have wanted everything we got. Some may have wanted some of it but not all of it. Some may have wanted none of it.

It's a fair point if a majority of the populace wanted the Patriot Act, for example. However, that alone is insufficient if our Constitutional rights are being violated.

The broader point here is important. Many people DO scream for more security after events like 9/11 and then after they get it, they'll start to realize it's more than they bargained for. This is why people need to temper their emotional reactions to catastrophic events and consider the implications of what they're asking for, whether it's wars or heightened policing. All these things have implications which are undesirable, and these implications must be balanced against whatever benefit we can logically expect.

Last edited:

xaeniac

Golden Member
Feb 4, 2005
I think the OP is over-generalizing. "Everyone" did not, and does not, have the same opinion. Some people may have wanted everything we got. Some may have wanted some of it but not all of it. Some may have wanted none of it.

It's a fair point if a majority of the populace wanted the Patriot Act, for example. However, that alone is insufficient if our Constitutional rights are being violated.

The broader point here is important. Many people DO scream for more security after events like 9/11 and then after they get it, they'll start to realize it's more than they bargained for. This is why people need to temper their emotional reactions to catastrophic events and consider the implications of what they're asking for, whether it's wars or heightened policing. All these things have implications which are undesirable, and these implications must be balanced against whatever benefit we can logically expect.

Great point. Some idiots still enjoy and are for the government running these programs. They do not see the big picture of what can happen. Some people feel they have nothing to hide and this does not apply to them. Big Mistake!

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007

By that same mentality when crime goes up in a certain area and we want something done about it, why not let cops do a door to door search of everyones houses?

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000

As long as even one conservative is left standing, the war on terror will continue.

Anarchist420

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2010
www.facebook.com
i never supported the PATRIOT Act.

All of this centralization is quite dangerous and I think that this is an example of govt ultimately doing more harm than good.

As someone else said, "in 200 years, people will laugh at us for thinking we needed a State for security just like we laugh at those who thought that a universal church was necessary for salvation".

sourn

Dec 26, 2012

Um thank you very much I didn't want none of that shit. Most people I know didn't want any of that shit. So you can piss off.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004

Do we look like Muslim terrorists? We were struck by an enemy, we demanded targeting that enemy. Government decided the enemy was us.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
Very sadly it seems like Americans still want the illusion of safety at the expense of freedoms and privacy:

Overall, 56 percent of Americans consider the NSA’s accessing of telephone call records of millions of Americans through secret court orders “acceptable,” while 41 percent call the practice “unacceptable.”

Fully 45 percent of all Americans say the government should be able to go further than it is, saying that it should be able to monitor everyone’s online activity if doing so would prevent terrorist attacks.

:(

Seems who is at the helm has a lot to do with this too:

But with a Democratic president at the helm instead of a Republican, partisan views have turned around significantly.

Sixty-nine percent of Democrats say terrorism investigations, not privacy, should be the government’s main concern, an 18-percentage-point jump from early January 2006, when the NSA activity under the George W. Bush administration was first reported. Compared with that time, Republicans’ focus on privacy has increased 22 points.

The reversal on the NSA’s practices is even more dramatic. In early 2006, 37 percent of Democrats found the agency’s activities acceptable; now nearly twice that number — 64 percent — say the use of telephone records is okay. By contrast, Republicans slumped from 75 percent acceptable to 52 percent today.

Link to poll:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/page/2010-2019/WashingtonPost/2013/06/10/National-Politics/Polling/release_242.xml

Seems 35% of Americans just don't give a shit

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/most-americans-support-nsa-tracking-phone-records-prioritize-investigations-over-privacy/2013/06/10/51e721d6-d204-11e2-9f1a-1a7cdee20287_story.html

Last edited:

sad_guy

May 1, 2013
ya'll asked for it

naaa na na naa naaa.. :whiste:

TI.gif

Nov 8, 2012
Asking for security, and asking for security at the cost of our constitutional rights are 2 very different things.

Vdubchaos

Lifer
Nov 11, 2009
Americans probably wanted our government not to arm Bin Ladden (during Russian war) AND not to piss him off and create Terrorist in other countries with their actions.

Not creating a problem would've been what most Americans wanted, unfortunately what we want and what our government actually does are COMPLETELY different things.

After 9/11, I'm sure Americans wanted security, but not by taking away all of the rights (which basically what happened in the name of terrorism).

You have NO RIGHTS. You have a list of temporary privileges that can be taken away ANY TIME they want to. Second you are labeled a terrorist you are essentially stripped of all your rights and possessions.

Those that give up their rights for little bit of security deserve NO RIGHTS at all.

But just to make you feel better, I don't think there is any Evil agenda from our government. It's just another way to steal future money from our children and their children and sponsor their buddies (Security/Military etc Corps).

Think of it as an imaginary recycling. Government prints money, use it, take money from future generations while Corps are getting richer and innocent Americans are dying overseas.

Last edited: